Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Iv been reading about Royal Purple motor oil and gear lube and am wondering if anyone has used it or use it in their ATV's. Says it will give motors more horespower and such. Anyone use this stuff? Engine oil or gear lube?? i know its expensive but if it works, hey, what the hell. Here is the website.

http://www.royalpurple.com/

·
Registered
754 Posts
In my book RP is the absolute pinicle in today's super lubrication.I started using their motor oil years ago in my truck and I gaurantee there was a difference in mileage and a cooler running engine.After putting RP in the front and rear diffs and transfer case I could feel and see the extra power in 0 to 60 runs and mileage overall was up 2.7 percent.

The main advantage that RP has over any oil is Synerlec (imo).From everything I've read, this secret formulation beats everything else hands down in FILM STRENGTH.While there are many dozens of criteria to judge an oil by, the film strength of a motor oil is critical in how it performs all the other functions.
RP also starts out with the cleanest base oil in the industry.I don't have the ppm numbers in front of me but the base oil is virtually contaminate free in comparison to the industry standard.Years before I started using the stuff I read where RP had refused to accept an entire supertanker shipment of base oil because it was slightly below their standards.I believe it is the cleanest oil on the market today.
Do I think it's for everyone? No.It's very expensive. I alternate between it and Mobile One in my truck when I can't spare $55.00 on an oil change.My Cat gets a fresh drink of RP every oil change though. It dosen't take as much for her and she's worth it. LOL.......Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
you dont want to use it in any motor that has an oil bath style clutch but other than that it does what it is supposed to,, i use it in my diffs and that's good enough for me

·
Registered
754 Posts
For those concerned with causing possible slippage within their wet clutch system there's Max Cycle in three different viscosities.It even has ATV written on the bottle not just motorcycle. :beer_cheers:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
I've used it in my diesel truck, make a huge improvement in cold starts and noise level since the injectors are oil accuated.

I use wet clutch rated senthetic in my wheelers, just not RP.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, i was wondering if i should use this stuff in my ATV. Im thinking ill give it a whirl this next oil change and see what happns. does it help out your diff's Six-ohh? What is the advantage of that stuff in your diffs compared to 80-90 AC oil?

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
It's gonna be a matter of prefernce...

But here is a comparison

http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g2156.pdf

And No I'm not a dealer and I'm not advertising nor am I trying to sway anyone one way or another... But you can look on line, and read good/bad about any oil mnfr... I found this a while back and it was pretty informative...

http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html

This is also pretty interesting reading...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

But again --- i'ts going to come down to personal preferance....

·
Registered
45 Posts
Not worthy: Praise the Amsoil, after all they invented synthetics back in 1972. All the big companies thought Amsoil was a joke and they now too, push synthetics harder than ever. But buyer beware there is low and high end stuff out there from all the big dogs.
imo Amsoil makes the best of the best and has proven it through extensive R&D.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AllCat @ Apr 25 2007, 07:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Not worthy: Praise the Amsoil, after all they invented synthetics back in 1972. All the big companies thought Amsoil was a joke and they now too, push synthetics harder than ever.[/b]
I'm editing this. I wasn't this nice first time ;)

Do your research guys. Don't necessarily believe everything you read on the internet. Learn how to read the data, and not just the "selected" data.

I too was a virgin once, but apparent I'm better than I was the first time out of the gate.

Jay

·
Registered
410 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ZH1 @ Apr 24 2007, 11:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
In my book RP is the absolute pinicle in today's super lubrication.I started using their motor oil years ago in my truck and I gaurantee there was a difference in mileage and a cooler running engine.After putting RP in the front and rear diffs and transfer case I could feel and see the extra power in 0 to 60 runs and mileage overall was up 2.7 percent.

The main advantage that RP has over any oil is Synerlec (imo).From everything I've read, this secret formulation beats everything else hands down in FILM STRENGTH.While there are many dozens of criteria to judge an oil by, the film strength of a motor oil is critical in how it performs all the other functions.
RP also starts out with the cleanest base oil in the industry.I don't have the ppm numbers in front of me but the base oil is virtually contaminate free in comparison to the industry standard.Years before I started using the stuff I read where RP had refused to accept an entire supertanker shipment of base oil because it was slightly below their standards.I believe it is the cleanest oil on the market today.
Do I think it's for everyone? No.It's very expensive. I alternate between it and Mobile One in my truck when I can't spare $55.00 on an oil change.My Cat gets a fresh drink of RP every oil change though. It dosen't take as much for her and she's worth it. LOL.......Hope this helps.[/b]

I am with ZH1 on this one. I use the 10w40 in my hemi, have used the 10w30 in all my other veh's. I use the purple ice in all veh's too along with my cat. The price is expensive, $7.50 a quart. I heard AMS is good, but I met one of the big guys from AMS at a car show in houston. I listened to his spill, then in front of everybody i asked him why he did not compare AMS to RP. He did not have an answer, and kind of caught him off gaurd. It would of been nice to see some comparisons in person on the two. My rule of thumb has been, if it works good for you then use it. RP is the major sponsor at the Houston Raceway track in Baytown, AC is another sponsor. Nuff said. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
221 Posts
So does the AC auto's have an oil bath style clutch?

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zack2746 @ Apr 25 2007, 11:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
So does the AC auto's have an oil bath style clutch?[/b]
I think just the 500 autos are a wet clutch, the H1's are not? Is that right?

·
Registered
69 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AllCat @ Apr 25 2007, 05:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Not worthy: Praise the Amsoil, after all they invented synthetics back in 1972.[/b]
“Synthetics” was developed/invented in the 1930’s to deal with the high temperatures generated by jet engines

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Last Oil change I did on My 400 I used Arctic cat Oil Change kit 0w-40 synthetic.... But I don't think anyone determined what mnfr supplies Arctic cat oil....

·
Registered
754 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ArcticDad @ Apr 26 2007, 06:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zack2746 @ Apr 25 2007, 11:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So does the AC auto's have an oil bath style clutch?[/b]
I think just the 500 autos are a wet clutch, the H1's are not? Is that right?
[/b][/quote]

I read this somewhere in a few of the threads from 2005.I think you are correct ArcticDad.
PS...... I forgot to mention up top that when I first used RP in just the 4.3 engine and got the milage increase and the cooler engine, I had been using Mobil One synthetic before!

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (chucker @ Apr 26 2007, 08:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (AllCat @ Apr 25 2007, 05:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not worthy: Praise the Amsoil, after all they invented synthetics back in 1972.[/b]
“Synthetics” was developed/invented in the 1930’s to deal with the high temperatures generated by jet engines
[/b][/quote]

BINGO!

It was also widely used in WWII by the Germans.

Jay

·
Administrator
7,989 Posts
After reading this, I decided to change my diff fluids today. Went to the auto parts store and they had Royal Purple and Amsoil. I chose the Royal Purple this time. I run amsoil in my trucks. I'll give it a try.

·
Administrator
7,989 Posts
The service manual (03 & 05 500's) says the correct oil level should be 1 inch below the threads of the filler plug, this is on FIS models. Good thing I looked it up, cause I would have over filled it............tigger

·
Registered
45 Posts
:tongue_nana: Ya your right WW11, however Amsoil was the first to bring it into the automotive market.
Sorry should of clarified I didnt think we where talking about jet engines.
Which ever syn you choose if you have a wet clutch make sure the oil contains NO friction modifiers like regular car engine oil. If it does you will be replacing clutchs.
Those who use Amsoil products like myself, swear by it. Try it you will understand.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I will only use Amsoil. I have it in our Vehicles, and my Toys, and Riding Lawnmower

1 - 20 of 22 Posts