Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rode a Cat 700 last night for about a half hour and was impressed by the machine. Here is a brief description of my thoughts.

I looked the quad over and my first thought was Dam this thing has some ground clearance! Everything looked to be well constructed and the plastic had a nice fit and finish. The small puny stock tires just looked out of place in the large fenders, but that can easily be fixed. What can I say about the racks…..FINALLY A QUAD MANUFACTURE GETS IT!! Great racks, lots of room and very well constructed! I loved the full size receiver hitch on the rear of the machine, and from the looks of the construction of the rear bumper you could stuff a winch back there…nice. The gage and display could be a little larger, but that is a minor thing.

Climbing on the machine the first thing I noticed is this is a big quad! She is tall and wide, but with my big frame it fit me well (good thing I am not afraid of heights). The quad is not overly wide at the feet and it had a good, neutral rider position. The seat was long and narrow, but could be a little softer (I know I am picky). I loved the size and construction of the foot wells, my big work boots fit well. The bars felt a little different, not bad, just different. It feels as if they are straight up and down, could have been how the mechanic put them together. The gear selector was easy to reach and use.

Enough talking let’s fire her up! The quad started quickly and easily with a push of the button. It quickly idled down and ran smoothly. In low it had plenty of power in every situation we were in (Mountains and High desert country). In high I found it a little slow to around 15mph then she took off like mad. Is this normal? We climbed a good sized cut bank with about a 2:1 slope. The cat climbed it easily in either high or low range. In corners I noticed a little side to side motion, not tippy just not what I am used to. I am sure a sway bar would take care of this. It handled trail obstacles and rocks very nicely. This thing has a great suspension setup! Going down a steep grade the steering felt a little twitchy when trying to turn. It did not take much to get the quad to change direction and with the flexible suspension I felt a little uneasy. I am sure a lot of it is not being used to the machine. I do not care for the single break lever….please give me a hand break on the right side! They felt as if the front breaks did most of the work when squeezing the lever. This made the quad dive forward when grabbing the brake lever. Again, on a steep downhill I did not feel very comfortable with the steering and I am sure the break setup added to it. I found myself on the foot break instead of the hand break in these situations.

Overall I liked the quad enough to talk to a dealer later today. It has a confidence inspiring feel to it, as if you can climb over any obstacle in the trail. If I get a 700 I would have to add front and rear brush guards, wheels and tires, hand guards and a sway bar. I would also look into an aftermarket break kit with separate break controls. Is there enough room in the front brush guard for a 3000lb winch? Any other mods or aftermarket products that are a must have for this quad?

Thanks.

·
Registered
754 Posts
A very good review on the 700.It's good to see ya back in the neighborhood too.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Hey Junfan, I posted on ATVobsession.

Don't want to duplicate here..

If you have ANY questions these are the folks to ask.

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
I'm not sure what the actual price difference is, but you may want to look at the 700 LE. That way you would get the winch and front/rear brushguards as part of your initial purchase. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought about that, but will not get one unless it is green. I really don't care for the painted on color of the 700LE. I am going to talk with them to see if they will do an LE package in the Marsh Green color.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
That was a great unbiased review! Nice job pointing out likes and dislikes. I couldnt agree more.

New radial tires will greatly improve the twichy steering and sway bar will remove the roll ness. That rollness comes from having 10inches of suspension travel and cheap tires that the side walls roll in when turning. Stick with 10 in wide tires on stock rims when replacing them to keep the width down if thats a problem for you. The LE package also has nice rims on it. Seperate breaks would be much better for the technical stuff. The 700 is the kingquad engine so it has the same lag. This is a fix coming out for that in the near future.

·
Registered
75 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Junfan @ Mar 23 2007, 08:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
This thing has a great suspension setup![/b]
Good overall review, but I strongly disagree with that statement. I love my 700 Cat, but the suspension is the least engineered part of the bike IMO. There's more technology in the lug nuts than the suspension. Clearance it has, but a great suspension it doesn't. I've had mine apart experimenting with different rear springs, and it is not geometrically capable of the 10" of travel the literature boasts unless the shocks are removed, so if AC's suspension ever travels 10", something is broken.

Monday I'm making the call to Elka and I'm buying their Utility Series suspension.

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
You will get used to the single lever fast. I came over from riding yamies for a long time. On down hills and we have our share of steeeeeeeeep, rocky, rutted, muddy, down hills here in Alaska, all you need to do is but in 4x4 and use the foot brake at times. Foot brake is independent of the front. When it is pucker factor steep, Put it in low and 4x 4. You will find out you will have to feather the gas to get down because it will stop..... I have found that so far when haulling a meat wagon down a mountain the AC is the best of them all. Just get used to it. I have had others ask to haul the meat wagon down because they new that their machine would not handle. We are talking about hauling a moose and gear down.

As for the stearing. better tires will help that a lot.

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
Take the 650H1 for a ride. Good review. Not worthy:

WC

·
Registered
551 Posts
Nice to see somebody else from Oregon here. Sounds like you were riding over near Bend somewhere?

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Nice write up and I love my 700 EFI Yes the cat is big but is very stable. I put highlifter springs on mine and It did help with the stability. I think I will add a stablizing bar on mine and This will help with body role I had one on 650 v2.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am going to give the H1 a look see tomarrow.

remotrucker I am from K. Falls.

Thanks all for the information.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I put 27" ITP Mud Lite XTR's on mine and it made a world of difference, also adjust the front shocks to the highest level, from the factory they are set at medium. Get a Snap-On spanner wrench, the stock one that comes with it is junk and will break. Get a good quality low pressure tire guage, again the one that comes with it is junk, I found it to be off by quite a bit and made me have too much air in my tires. Like whoever it was that said to put it low and 4x4 going down hill the engine breaking is incredible, I also have to give it some gas cause it goes so slow and just use the back break. I have seen other manufactures quads sliding all over the place on steep downhills. I have drug some big /.;' logs to camp for firewood that other quads wouldn't even try and with a couple of deer on it is real stable. And yeah the suspension isn't made for racing or going real fast, I didn't buy mine for that, what I bought it for it excels and keeps on impressing me and my cohorts who all ride other types of bikes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts