Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ripped Front Inner CV Boot on 2020 ALterra 570 - How do I remove the inner CV Joint? Is it a Circlip on the end or a tug in a vice? Or Neither?
I have watched several Arctic Cat service videos and there are two methods to remove this joint to get a new boot on.
Has anyone had to replace one of these yet on the 2020 Alterra 570? I cant seem to find a circlip on the end to remove but I may be blind...

Thank you for the help!
Mike

·
Registered
81 Posts
Ripped Front Inner CV Boot on 2020 ALterra 570 - How do I remove the inner CV Joint? Is it a Circlip on the end or a tug in a vice? Or Neither?
I have watched several Arctic Cat service videos and there are two methods to remove this joint to get a new boot on.
Has anyone had to replace one of these yet on the 2020 Alterra 570? I cant seem to find a circlip on the end to remove but I may be blind...

Thank you for the help!
Mike
They say in the official video how to tell which method to use. It's been a long time since I've seen it but if my memory serves, all newer models have the push n pull type and you can tell the method by the colour of the axle end.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
37,624 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yup, in that pic, like it shows and like they say in the video, if your ends are white then they are the new ones that you push in and pull out.

I've never had to do this but I suspect it's like drum breaks, where they say just poke a flat head in the hole and the spring releases. You mess with it for hours and nothing. Your mechanic buddy comes along and does it in 2 seconds after doing exactly what you did for hours lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you everyone!
I will let you know how it goes.
I agree Parshath77! Thats always how it goes
:)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thank you everyone!
I will let you know how it goes.
I agree Parshath77! Thats always how it goes
:)
The day that comes that I have to do this I know I'll be cursing the guy in the video for sure lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The day that comes that I have to do this I know I'll be cursing the guy in the video for sure lol

I bought a new 20volt Dewalt impact wrench just to get the axle nut off, the axle came out no problem following the push/pull guide, but I hit a snag at getting the joint apart to slip the new boot on.
At least I have a new tool :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I tried putting it in my vice and push/pull it apart and failed :) Like you said maybe a screwdriver in the end would help release the clip

·
Administrator
7,784 Posts
I've replaced so many boots over the years and its always a huge mess. I opted to just replace the axle with an aftermarket one. Some are so affordable ya really cant go wrong. I started out with EPI boot kits ( not cheap) did all the work, replaced the grease and a few rides later that same axle starts clicking. Must have picked up some dirt/sand etc.. while riding or in the fixing procedure

·
Administrator
37,624 Posts
I tried putting it in my vice and push/pull it apart and failed :) Like you said maybe a screwdriver in the end would help release the clip
You put the axle in your vice to remove it from the differential ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Doorfx - I put the cup in the vice with duct tape as shown on the AC vide - then pulled the axle - I am still having no luck.
I also found a page out of the 2020 service manual that suggests the same thing so I must be on the right track.... I hope....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts