Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9,936 Posts
I don't know why Arctic Cat has had so much financial problems over the years. Did you know Textron owned Polaris from '68-'81? Business is business. I hope the AC name stays. What Happens After Textron's Purchase of Arctic Cat? - Snowmobile.com

R & D costs a lot of money and keeping up with competition with deep pockets makes it worse. I didn’t know about the Polaris deal until I read up on who Textron was. The dirt segment has lost the Cat name but the sleds still retain that well known name. Personally I thought there was way too many sled/motor/track combinations to choose from but then again I’m not a hard core sledder. I guess we will see what “cat” atv/utv lines remain in the coming years.

·
Premium Member
999 Posts
I'm just afraid down the road Textron will dump the snowmobile side and the name Arctic Cat will be gone. I hope i'm wrong, but that's what a lot of these buy out's end up doing, Textron may have wanted the ATV/UTV market and will liquidate the snowmobile side of the business. Time will tell i guess.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I'm just afraid down the road Textron will dump the snowmobile side and the name Arctic Cat will be gone. I hope i'm wrong, but that's what a lot of these buy out's end up doing, Textron may have wanted the ATV/UTV market and will liquidate the snowmobile side of the business. Time will tell i guess.
That's not what they did with Polaris.

Time will tell.
Just hoping it's a win win for everyone.

Sent from my LGUS991 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
999 Posts

Here's a quote from the Feb article; [Textron wanted Polaris to be a snowmobile company – up until 1981. Textron stayed with Polaris through environmental issues of noise and the oil embargos in the 1970s, but heading into the decades of the 1980s, Polaris didn’t make sense as Textron sought to divest its snowmobile group, reportedly losing more in the final year than it had made in the previous five years.]

·
Registered
672 Posts

Here's a quote from the Feb article; [Textron wanted Polaris to be a snowmobile company – up until 1981. Textron stayed with Polaris through environmental issues of noise and the oil embargos in the 1970s, but heading into the decades of the 1980s, Polaris didn’t make sense as Textron sought to divest its snowmobile group, reportedly losing more in the final year than it had made in the previous five years.]
Clearly, they purchased the wrong company back then.

Sent from my LGUS991 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
8,197 Posts
I don't know why Arctic Cat has had so much financial problems over the years. Did you know Textron owned Polaris from '68-'81? Business is business. I hope the AC name stays. What Happens After Textron's Purchase of Arctic Cat? - Snowmobile.com
Cat was fine until it came time for dealers to pre book 2015 snowmobiles. Dealers pretty much sold out that season. Upper management set the minimums 3 times higher than what the dealers sold that year. Most had the best year ever that year in a long time. This maxed out most of their dealers line of credit when it came to re order 2016 snowmobiles and cat could no longer move enough units to keep filling their cash reserves and burnt through a lot of money. When textron bought cat there was enough product on dealer lots to supply retail orders for 3 years without building anything. That is why they have been giving things away with steep rebates. You can see right where this happened in stock pricing and follow the trend. The other terrible management decision they made was not investing in the atv market while it was on fire. Cat’s atv was basically unchanged from 2006 until 2014.

·
Administrator
36,332 Posts
X2..^^^^

·
Super Moderator
8,197 Posts
so now that textron has taken over it looks like they got rid of all the 1000 cc ATV'S ?
I think cat had pretty much killed the 1000 in the atvs before textron but still had it in the sxs. The Weber they are using now is way better engine than the 1000 ever was

·
Registered
28 Posts
I think cat had pretty much killed the 1000 in the atvs before textron but still had it in the sxs. The Weber they are using now is way better engine than the 1000 ever was
But why does Textron not produce the shortbase 1000 cc H2 ATV anymore?
If one wants a 1000cc ATV, he has to buy it as second hand...

·
Registered
117 Posts
it also looks like the booted any 2-up atv as well. I realise sxs market is growing but there are those of us who don't like the sxs that can be ridden on trails around my area. This might force people to look elsewhere for new machines.

·
Super Moderator
8,197 Posts
But why does Textron not produce the shortbase 1000 cc H2 ATV anymore?
If one wants a 1000cc ATV, he has to buy it as second hand...
Out dated old design that did not sell. Textron wants out of the pile of old. They can probably find one in dealer stock if some one really wanted on. The comp is so far ahead in that small catagory they don’t care and won’t make any money selling a 10 year old 1000cc atv design. They didn’t sell well then and won’t know. they are focusing where they can gain a lot of market share fast. IMO the whole atv line needs to be scrapped and a new one needs to be built. Probably why they are not offering much.

·
Administrator
2,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cat was fine until it came time for dealers to pre book 2015 snowmobiles. Dealers pretty much sold out that season. Upper management set the minimums 3 times higher than what the dealers sold that year. Most had the best year ever that year in a long time. This maxed out most of their dealers line of credit when it came to re order 2016 snowmobiles and cat could no longer move enough units to keep filling their cash reserves and burnt through a lot of money. When textron bought cat there was enough product on dealer lots to supply retail orders for 3 years without building anything. That is why they have been giving things away with steep rebates. You can see right where this happened in stock pricing and follow the trend. The other terrible management decision they made was not investing in the atv market while it was on fire. Cat’s atv was basically unchanged from 2006 until 2014.

The 2012 release was a clusterf*ck because management squeezed every last penny out of the design, and suppliers. That's why the machines where so late to arrive, and there where no parts or accessories available. There was a huge opportunity to increase market share, grow, and profit that was squandered.

The ATV line stayed unchanged for far far too long, and even after the XR/alterra was released, remained way underpowered and overpriced.

All while those at the top blew huge $$ on stupid ****, like the downtown HQ instead of R&D, engineering, or product development.

FWIW the long wheelbase 1000 rides better IMHO, but I don't/won't miss that engine.

Textron has a long hard road ahead of them to try and get brand recognition, and it isn't going to be cheap. IMHO it will take a huge outlay of advertising/marketing $$ AND new, innovative quality product to make it happen

·
Administrator
36,332 Posts
All the advertising in the world won’t sell an outdated, underpowered machine. They need to get a product that people will talk about.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Why do you think the Weber engine is better than the H2 V twin engine?
I have have nothing to say against the H2 engine, I had to change only the water pump seal, who was leaking a bit. Since then, no more troubles....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts