Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told that riding in real cold weather you stand a chance of melting a piston down is this true? we were planing on riding this weekend, Minnesota cold is here. Can anyone shed light on this for us thanks.

·
Registered
100 Posts
As the temperature drops, you need to adjust (increase) your jetting to compensate. The reason cold weather burns down engines is because as the air temp drops with the fuel supply left constant, the air/fuel ratio goes lean. Depending on what you are running, you may or may not have to make any changes. If you sled is stock, it is probably set up to be safe to around 40 below F. If it has been changed at some point, you may need to change again. There should be a jetting chart on the clutch cover that will tell you what you need to do. Having said all this, make SURE you check what you have against the chart, and keep a close eye on your plugs while you are riding. PLEASE don't figure you're safe just because Greg said so.
It's been said that sleds run the best right before they grenade, and I have had it happen to me. I suppose it's because as you lean the motor down, you hit an ideal combustion condidtion right before shelling it. Anyway, if it seems like it's running like never before, that would be a good time to pull over and check your plugs.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts