Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am moving to Tinker in August. Can anyone tell me about riding there. I have heard everything from there is no decent place close by and you have to travel hours a make a weekend out of it, to there is lots of riding real close. Do they have to be registered and titled? Do you pay property tax on them? Any good info is appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
welcome to oklahoma :boohoo: around tinker there isnt to many, you have lake stanly draper(sp), it is more for trucks though, Im about 2 hours east of tinker and there are lots of places here, about 45 minute south you have purcell and you can ride the river there, over on highlifter under clubs there are some okies there(i post as oumudcat there), as far as tags you do have to register if you bought it new after 2005, any more question let me know i used to live up there before being transfered to mcalester army ammo plant

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Welcome to the middle of the country akbps. I take it you're AF, what do you do?
JD

·
Registered
221 Posts
Welcome to Sooner Land akbps. And thank you for serving!

There are actually several places to ride in Oklahoma. In fact, a group of us are going to Lake Murray (about 110 miles south on I-35) on Sunday. This is a great place to ride with a variety of terrain, including mud holes, tight bobsled-like runs, deep creek canyons, etc.

There's also a privately-owned riding area about 70 miles south on I-35 near Davis called Cross Bar. It's supposed to be excellent, but I haven't ridden it yet.

Tons of great riding in the SE corner of the state, but it's a pretty long drive unless you're overnighting.

You can get some trail info from the following link:

Oklahoma Trail Info

Hope that helps. Glad to have you aboard!

stellarpod

·
Registered
221 Posts
Whoops. Forgot to add...

Lake Stanley Draper, which is just south of Tinker AFB, used to be home to a great trail network. This was located on the north end of the lake. The area drew motocross and ATV riders from many surrounding states. But, the city council, in its infinite wisdom, opted to shut the area down, citing errosion issues.

They opened another area on the SW side of the lake known as Crosstimbers. You must purchase a pass from the concession at the boat ramp. The trails are nowhere near as extensive as the old trails were. Unfortunately, they don't really lend themselves to utility ATV's either, but rather tend to be more intended for motorcycle and sport quad use. Very tight, much single-track. Helmets are required.

But, don't be discouraged. There are plenty of other riding opportunities in Oklahoma.

stellarpod

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Steller,

We have utility vehicles. The wife isnt into overnighters or long travel but I can be talked into it. I know there is no where near the riding that we have up here in Alaska but just dont have the heart to get ride of something that is paid for and I can use.

Thanks againfor the info.

·
Registered
221 Posts
By all means, don't get rid of them! There's plenty of opportuntity to ride here. We had an absolute ball today. When you get transfered send me a note and I'll try to maybe meet you for a down and back trip to Lake Murray or Cross Bar.

Of course in August we'll be working most weekends at the hunting lease trying to get ready for bow season and a bit of wing shooting.

stellarpod

·
Registered
263 Posts
Appalachia Bay outside of Tulsa is really great, ride there a lot with friends. Cimmaron River; or below Keystone Dam.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
By all means, don't get rid of them! There's plenty of opportuntity to ride here. We had an absolute ball today. When you get transfered send me a note and I'll try to maybe meet you for a down and back trip to Lake Murray or Cross Bar.

Of course in August we'll be working most weekends at the hunting lease trying to get ready for bow season and a bit of wing shooting.

stellarpod[/quote

Thanks for the advice. I have been reading the regulations for hunting and fishing as well and am looking forward to that as well. What kind of riding do you do? I like to enjoy the ride and scenery. Are there any good ATV clubs there?

·
Registered
221 Posts
I looked at your Alaska trail ride photos. You'll find similar mud opportunities here, but alas, no snow-capped mountains. But, there are some decent mountain trails in SE Oklahoma - not the elevations and grandeur you're accustomed to, but fun nonetheless.

The wife and I are headed to Colorado for a week of riding with my brother, his wife and my sister and her husband in July. I can't wait!

Frontiercat: I've heard that Appalachia Bay is good. I'm anxious to hit that one someday.

stellarpod

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Stellar,

I did that webpage some time ago and it hasn't been updated for a while. My provider gives very limited space for a premium price. But since you brought it up I might do some updating while I listen to the hockey game. Enjoy your trip Colorado is beautiful.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Hey boys, don't forget us KS folks, there are very few public areas to ride up here. If you put something together, let me know, it's fairly easy to get to OK from here thumbguy
JD

·
Registered
221 Posts
No problem Kancoyote. But, you've got to bring along the .50 Beowolf. :D

stellarpod

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I like the way you think Stellarpod. I just got done shooting 11 rounds through it. That's the end of the 325 gr stuff, now it's nothing but 334's. Got a place where we can bang off a few rounds before riding? I also found the first ammo that my little Kahr K9 doesn't like, the cheapo 115 gr Win. white box. Gave me good practice for fte's while combat shooting. GOOD TIMES.
Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread. You guys do any rides on Sundays?
JD

1 - 14 of 14 Posts