Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past weekend I rode a buddy's PoPo 850. Wow... talk about amazing acceleration and a butter smooth ride. I had no idea an ATV could ride like that. The suspension was spectacular and the steering effortless. It would turn with fingertip pressure on the bars. He was running 27x9 & 27x11x15 Mudlite XTRs.

On that note... what the heck is wrong with my quad? It drives like a freakin' tank and I have to throw all my weight into the bars to get it to turn. It also has bump steer that makes it almost impossible to steer. My wife can forget it. Bars aren't turning for her. To top it off, the rear end sounded like it was rattling apart any time I rode the brakes down a loose incline. Drive shaft? U-joints? CVT?

Granted, I ride a 500 and not an 850, but wow... what a night & day difference.

I have an 06 500 TRV with 25x10x12 Bighorn 2.0s all around. I figure the caster mod should help out the steering. Maybe? My alignment is correct so what is causing the bump steer? Finally, what the heck is causing my rear end drive line rattling?

Lloyd

·
Registered
245 Posts
I'm thinking about doing the caster mod on my 500 as well.

The 850 has power stearing doesn't it? That would help allot.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Something happened to my 650 H1 and now it turns like a sports quad. All I do is move the bars and I can zip around a tree or rock. Maybe I just got used to riding it. All my mods are below and I did mess with the alignment a bit. I wish I knew what change helped so I can reverse it a bit because now it is almost too easy to turn.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Well you have to remember to that different bikes are built for different things, that PoPo 850 is a tuned to the max quad that is great for going fast and light trail riding but not much more. All of the ACs are heavier build to withstand the strain of heavy work as well as playing hard, and most if not all of the ACs engines are detuned from the factory, so just a few mods and and AC will be running a lot faster. And in my opionon the AC is the best looking bike out there, i can't stand some of those plastic racks and bumpers that some have, these things are made for utility and thats the way they should look.

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
yes that 850 has power steering, yes the caster mod helps, yes that 850 eats belts like candy. i personally didn't think a 800 popo came out of the hole any faster than my 400 with mods, but did gain speed much faster once it spooled up.

on the brakes mine has always done that, the more the pads wear the worse it gets IMO. reclocking the sec to increase engine braking helps alot and you use less brakes.

swampcat whats your toe set at?

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I swear my steering was easier with my 32lbs each 27x10x12 Silverbacks. I wonder if these 10" wide Bighorns have too much bite? They are a royal pain in the butt to steer.

On a side note to anyone considering the 2.0's. Wow, talk about a super all around trail tire. They handled everything I threw at them in West Virginia last week. Paved roads, hardpack, mushy soil, light mud, wet rock, I mean EVERY thing. These bad boys would just destroy and tear up anything I attempted. IMOP, they shined best at loose rocky steep uphill climbs. Not once did I ever feel sketchy or out of control.

These tires are absolute monsters. Best trail tire I've ever ridden.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Indiana Mudcat @ Nov 19 2009, 11:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
yes that 850 has power steering, yes the caster mod helps, yes that 850 eats belts like candy. i personally didn't think a 800 popo came out of the hole any faster than my 400 with mods, but did gain speed much faster once it spooled up.

on the brakes mine has always done that, the more the pads wear the worse it gets IMO. reclocking the sec to increase engine braking helps alot and you use less brakes.[/b]
Yes, I noticed the rear end judder when the brakes were locked going down hill. It was like the entire drive line was locking up and vibrating/shaking violently. Very unsettling.

I'm not 100%, but pretty sure his PoPo did not have power steering. I'll double check.

The difference was drastic enough to make me want to go to the dealer and buy one. But hey, I only paid $2500 for my 500. A far cry from the $9K a new 850 would cost.

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
also on the brakes, IMO the single side deal hurts, the cv's and diff have to transfer the force to the other side. again more sec pressure helps that.

·
Premium Member
2,546 Posts
The PoPo 850 is a fast smooth riding atv for sure. I ride with one and my AC700 out crawls it up rocky trails and does better in all the rough terrain. I ride trails and the terrain is extremely rough almost all the time. The AC handles the ruff stuff much better than the PoPo every time. He does admit that he misses his Cat out on the trails but loves the poPo in the open areas. rocks.

The PoPo is AWD and gives you no control over 4x4. While crawling up these trails, the PoPo seemed to violently jump forward and I found it hard to control the throttle. He is a little disappointed with his choice to switch from AC due to the type of riding we do here. You mainly see Cat's and Yammies around here because they are the 2 that handle the terrain best.

·
Registered
126 Posts
And the TRV is the good riding cat...want wheeler to abuse and carry too much weight on racks..buy cat. want good ride..canam & poo poo. Can am no good for working great for playing..poo poo is in between. Cat are grat jumpers...for their weight anyway...others sprung to weak.

·
Registered
233 Posts
"The PoPo 850 is a fast smooth riding atv for sure. I ride with one and my AC700 out crawls it up rocky trails and does better in all the rough terrain. I ride trails and the terrain is extremely rough almost all the time. The AC handles the ruff stuff much better than the PoPo every time. He does admit that he misses his Cat out on the trails but loves the poPo in the open areas. rocks."

Could it be driver skills ? Maybe you got something he does'nt.
My buddy owns nothing but PoPo. 800 PoPo. He and I are on the same skill level. He is on my butt most of the time. His bike is way more comfortable and powerful. He is less "worn-out" usually. I contribute that to the way his bike handles. That being said...
He is always having an issue with his PoPo. Everytime we ride, something defaults on his bike.
Thats where the Kitty starts to shine IMO.
I would like to try the "revised" 850 sometime...

Later,
Adam

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
jd's point is the difference in belt setups, wet clutch vs slip n grip. the wet clutch setup we got is much better for crawling, climbing and other rough stuff.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
as far as the no steering goes that could be one of a few things.
are your front shocks adjusted all the way up? if so the only way your going to get steering is off throttle going into turns,due to weight transfer.
lossen up your fronts one or two clicks.
2nd is the front end alighnment
3rd play with air pressure.
from what you are describing it sounds like too much preload on the shocks.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Indiana Mudcat @ Nov 19 2009, 11:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

on the brakes mine has always done that, the more the pads wear the worse it gets IMO. reclocking the sec to increase engine braking helps alot and you use less brakes.

swampcat whats your toe set at?[/b]
1/4" I think.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
never ridden a new 850 **** yet, but I have heard they are not much faster then the 800 was, and my 06 650 V-2 would beat the old 800 ****. polaris is not good for technical trails, only thing they are good for is easy trail riding, THATS IT, soft suspension, plastic racks, you put a chainsaw on the back and they are bottomed out, and they are good for light light duty work if that, the new ones are better, but the older style sportsgirls were light duty turds, the new ones are only slightly better, as i work on more and more popos/****s I dislike them more, but I like them in the sense that they are keeping me in business.

·
Premium Member
2,546 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Romp @ Nov 19 2009, 03:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
never ridden a new 850 **** yet, but I have heard they are not much faster then the 800 was, and my 06 650 V-2 would beat the old 800 ****. polaris is not good for technical trails, only thing they are good for is easy trail riding, THATS IT, soft suspension, plastic racks, you put a chainsaw on the back and they are bottomed out, and they are good for light light duty work if that, the new ones are better, but the older style sportsgirls were light duty turds, the new ones are only slightly better, as i work on more and more popos/****s I dislike them more, but I like them in the sense that they are keeping me in business.[/b]
Very well said. I agree 100%.

The only thing I noticed from driving both is that the XP is a little faster and it sound better than the old weed eater sounding engine. The 850 sounds strong, steere easier, goes fast, and that's about it. Your not missing much by not riding one.

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
light steering means proper geometery (sp), bump steer means improper geometery. if everythings right (like a well setup sport quad) steering is feather light and there's no bump steer.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JD700EFI @ Nov 19 2009, 06:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Romp @ Nov 19 2009, 03:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
never ridden a new 850 **** yet, but I have heard they are not much faster then the 800 was, and my 06 650 V-2 would beat the old 800 ****. polaris is not good for technical trails, only thing they are good for is easy trail riding, THATS IT, soft suspension, plastic racks, you put a chainsaw on the back and they are bottomed out, and they are good for light light duty work if that, the new ones are better, but the older style sportsgirls were light duty turds, the new ones are only slightly better, as i work on more and more popos/****s I dislike them more, but I like them in the sense that they are keeping me in business.[/b]
Very well said. I agree 100%.

The only thing I noticed from driving both is that the XP is a little faster and it sound better than the old weed eater sounding engine. The 850 sounds strong, steere easier, goes fast, and that's about it. Your not missing much by not riding one.
[/b][/quote]
Yes I will say that the 850 sounds really good, all the other polaris twins sound like a flatulent vacuum cleaner. I don't like to brand bash, but I just cant believe how some of this stuff is put together on the polarises, the 600 twins for sure were set up bad to say the least, the old style polaris brush guards are pretty much just for looks, you bump into the sides of it that cover the headlights and you will bend them, no joke. the drive shaft set up has multiple sever interfering angles witch wears out the yokes and makes a big clunk noise on the 600 and probably others, they have the feeble strut system with one A arm and ONE ball joint, it seems to be a common problem to wear out the ball joint stud hole on the A arm where the joint stud goes through when they hit something hard so not only do you have to replace ball joints but you have to replace the worn out A arm, they finally went away from that design. Polaris has been known to have problems with ripping CV boots all the time witch leads to the common bad axle problems they have. plastic racks are cheesy and always seem to break, the way the older polaris body had that big nose piece that covered the radiator made it impossible to access the radiator cap without pulling the rack off, the suspensions are to soft so doing work with them is really hard to do because if you put any weight on the rear its almost impossible to turn because of the suspension sag. The way the CVT set up is they have to rev up a lot in order to move. The shifter set up on them witch has remained the same even on the new ones is not very easy to shift, and they have shifter linkage issues, the throttle lever and brake levers are made of cheap plastic, the guage pod is made of some of the most cheap and brittle plastic I have ever seen and it seems like a lot of them break because of it. There are many more things that could be pointed out but I will stop there, I think everyone gets what Im saying.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
My brother has the 2008 800 Polaris and a good friend of his rides the 850 Polaris, When it comes to rock crawling, those two Polaris's will do very well. Their Auto locking 4x4 works quite well locks when you need it and unlocks when you don't, much better than Cam Am's visalock and doesn't make steering hard like my TCat. Both of these Polaris's have upgraded to the Hi-Lifter springs which gives them much better off road ability ride and clearance. Now the old Polaris without the auto locking front end and without the Active Decent Control were a piece of ****. These new ones are very capable and so far have been problem free, less problems then my Tcat by a long ways. I cannot put down or find too much if any fault the new 2008 and newer Polaris at all anymore. In many ways better than my cats. Although I'm not yet ready to ditch cat and jump on a Polaris yet. Maybe someday. They may not do as well in the mud, but in the rocks they perform every bit as good as my cat. Only fault is their belt system, Easy to burn a belt if you don'tt know what you're doing on a Polaris. Once you get used to it and ride in low range in the rough or pulling a load, their belt drive is ok.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts