Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
bang your head I went to try out my new to me 01 800 mountain cat and while driving down the bumpy road the chain snapped about 5 min into the start of the ride. Just wondering how often I should expect that?

·
Registered
290 Posts
The stock chain was 13 links wide. I updated my 2001 before I picked it up at the dealer to a 15 wide by changing out the top sprocket to accomodate the wide chain but left the bottom at 13 wide. Seemed to work well.

The 2001's were geared way to high from the factory. Not sure what you have in it. I found a 20/39 was good for most conditions but for late spring when the snow is soft and heavy I changed to a 19/40. Both combinations use a 70 pitch chain.

The previous owner could have done a lot of jumps which are hard on the chain. They are a wear item. How many miles are on the sled? Most serious riders change the chain about every 1500 miles or once a season. Proper chain lube will help them from stretching.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Alberta Buffalo @ Apr 1 2007, 01:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The stock chain was 13 links wide. I updated my 2001 before I picked it up at the dealer to a 15 wide by changing out the top sprocket to accomodate the wide chain but left the bottom at 13 wide. Seemed to work well.

The 2001's were geared way to high from the factory. Not sure what you have in it. I found a 20/39 was good for most conditions but for late spring when the snow is soft and heavy I changed to a 19/40. Both combinations use a 70 pitch chain.

The previous owner could have done a lot of jumps which are hard on the chain. They are a wear item. How many miles are on the sled? Most serious riders change the chain about every 1500 miles or once a season. Proper chain lube will help them from stretching.[/b]
I have 19/40 on right now and a 13 wide. Did you have any problems with the chain rubbing with the 15 wide chain? I was thinking the top would be ok but the bottom might slide from side to side. Also what else did you do other than gearing to make this sled work? THANKS Not worthy:

·
Premium Member
2,954 Posts
no rubbing problems with the 15's, the 19/40 works well, on my 1000 I went through chains 3-4 times a season. they stretched like nylon on that sled!!

·
Registered
290 Posts
On my 2001 800 I run a 19/40 with 15 wide top sprocket and chain. No rubbing problems. On my 2003 and 2004 800 I run a 19/43 with 9 tooth extrovert drivers. In all cases a 15 wide chain and top sprocket. Quality oil will reduce the chain stretching issue. Arctic Cat chain lube or Ams Oil synthetic chain lube. Do not substitue other types of oil such as automotive gear oil or transmission fluid. I know guys who go through a lot of chains by trying to save $4 on chain oil.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I consider the chain a maintenance item, like belts, and cleaning clutches etc.
I inspect it twice a year changing the oil each time, and change it yearly...best oil i have ever seen for the chains is ATF...its all i will ever use, and same goes for the abusive as heck riders i ride with all the time.
I use ford ATF as i drive a ford and have it handy...if you drive a dodge or chevy use theirs.... but run ATF I swear by it.
every second year my sled gets new gears to go with the new chain.

·
Registered
98 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mcflying @ Apr 2 2007, 08:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I consider the chain a maintenance item, like belts, and cleaning clutches etc.
I inspect it twice a year changing the oil each time, and change it yearly...best oil i have ever seen for the chains is ATF...its all i will ever use, and same goes for the abusive as heck riders i ride with all the time.
I use ford ATF as i drive a ford and have it handy...if you drive a dodge or chevy use theirs.... but run ATF I swear by it.
every second year my sled gets new gears to go with the new chain.[/b]
ATF is used in truck tranfer cases because it gets into the inside parts of the chain most oils just coat the out side leaving the inside dry it's a great lube and can handle the heat The only differance between ford and chev was the clutch material in the trans.For a chain lube they both work ok. the chain still has to be inspected on a regular sced. good advice thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.