Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its official, the sled does not like me.

2 weeks ago, it would not start. I tugged on it for about 10 minutes. nada.

Took it to the dealer and voila, it started up 2nd pull every time for him.
grrrr

So I get it home Saturday, ride around the yard for a few miles with my little boy and all is good. Take it out yesterday cause we got some snow, all if fine till i'm about 20 miles out and it just lost all power and go. Didn't feel like it was missing on a cyl, just no power, max 20-30mph. RPM's would pull more than 5000 or so.

It gets me home and I let it sit for an hour to two. I figure, well, I give up and grab the trailer to load it up, and it won't start. When I hit the key, I do NOT hear the fuel pump anymore.

Could the fuel pump have pooghed out? could it have been the problem all along?
Anyone think it could be anything worse? This has been a frustrating "ride one week, in the shop for two" sort of winter.

The joys of 12 year old sleds.

·
Registered
34 Posts
This may sound dumb but try replacing your battery. At least get it tested to make sure it is still good. I had a 95 700 wildcat mountaincat and had to buy a new battery every year or it would do the same thing. The efi runs off the battery not the sled and needs the full voltage.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HMM. that is interesting...

would low battery voltage send the EFI into a 'safe mode' or limp home mode?

I have it on the trailer right now to take it to the dealer. The sled has been a thorn in their side....
At least they're familiar with it now...

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dropped if off at the dealer a bit ago, hit the key, NOTHING, no battery light, no fuel pump sound, nothing

Could a dead battery be my root cause this whole time?

Does or does not the sled send charge back to the battery during use? The EFI runs off the battery, so over time will the EFI just deplete the battery? Should I have been periodically charging the battery to keep if topped off?

If the battery finally pooghed out of me in mid-ride, will the sled just limp home like mine did? as a protection mode?

If it's just a battery , i'll be pretty darn happy! Except for the part where it's at the dealers. Although, if it is the battery, they can do it, they've earned it.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Yes the battery can be the problem. Yes the sled is suppose to charge the battery as you ride. It is possible to have a bad battery and still be able to start the sled. If the battery dies dies your sled dies, no limp home, nothing. If the computer reads low voltage it may send the sled into limp mode, not sure on that one. It may not be a bad idea to put a trickle charger on the battery when the sled is not in use. When I had my 95 zr I would replace the battery every 2 years even if it seemed fine. I know some guys would replace them every year.

Have you checked your computer codes?

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I looked but did not see the EFI flashing anything. Do you just turn on the key or do you have to do something special?

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bman42 @ Mar 5 2007, 01:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I looked but did not see the EFI flashing anything. Do you just turn on the key or do you have to do something special?[/b]
just turn on the key, although I can't remember but I thought it should flash once right when you turn on the key to signify it's working, not sure.

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
I recently tried using a voltage regulator out of a sled with a battery for my batteryless sled to try and get a 12VDC source. These regulators only have a single diode built in. In conjunction with a good battery it must charge the battery, but on it's only it only puts out a partially rectified voltage. You'd probably measure about 5Vdc and 4.5Volts AC with a regular meter from the charging circuit. This might explain why the battery is absolutely necessary. I wonder if you can somehow retrofit a bridge rectifier so if something happens to the battery you're not walking home.

·
Registered
515 Posts
had similar problem with mine, it would start if i left it in the garage overnight, but it would be boggy... new battery and ur good to go, especially if you dont hear the pump going or a red light, those are tell tale signs

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thats good news, I'd be happy with a simple battery problem. this is good to know and I'll make sure to give the battery a little more attention from now on to ensure it's all good.

could I potentially have a problem with the sled putting juice (or not putting any) back inot the battery?

or do batteries just die every now and again....

Just so I know how to plan the future....

Thanks everyone!!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I had this problem with my 93 wildcat this sat. my Tech. was with me and fixed the proble on the trail what is was on mine was the safety valves in the gas tank. we removed them and replaced them with jumbo gas filters then cleaned out the gas pump screen. worked great! what happend was nylon screen on valves deterated and plugged up pump when you shut off sled particles would fall out of pump and upon restart would be fine until pieces are picked up again. My Tech. is Johhny Ditch Bangs Her on HCS ask him for details if your not clear on the fix.

·
Registered
34 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
could I potentially have a problem with the sled putting juice (or not putting any) back inot the battery?

or do batteries just die every now and again....[/b]
The batteries just lose their strength after a while. If you could use it year round it would probably be fine but we only use them in the winter so over the summer they die due to lack of use. If you want to try to keep the bat. good just hook up a 12volt light to it and drain it once every couple weeks and charge it back up, otherwise just chalk the $40 up to maintenance and buy a new one each year.

·
Registered
34 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
The joys of 12 year old sleds.[/b]
Just My oppinion but those wildcat 700 were awesome machines. I've never been as dissapointed as I was when I sold my 95 wildcat to buy a 99 zr 700. That wildcat was way faster and with the long track it was even a nicer ride. It wasn't until I got this F7 that I was as impressed as I was with the wildcat.

anyway goodluck with the sled let us know

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks again eveyrone...

I agree, really like the Wildcat and she likes to go. I'd love to put an updated rear skid on it but that may not be do-able.

I'm hoping to keep this another couple years then find a nice used sabercat or crossfire....or something.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Connect a voltmeter to the battery. It should measure more than 12.6 volts just sitting there. If lower, the battery is in need of charge or is sulfated. Start the sled. The battery light on the tach should go off. The battery voltage should climb up to 14 volts slowly if it is in fact charging. If it goes down, it's not chrging and you need to find the cause.

If you let the battery sit all summer and not trickle charge it once a month or connect a float mode charger to it, it will sulfate and be garbage. Even with a sulfated battery, the Wildcat should still run as long as there is enough voltage to run the pump and it charges. Also check the fuel pump pressure with a gauge on a tee in the fuel supply line to the injector rail. If the pressure drops when you open the throttle under load when riding, the pump is bad or the regulator is bad. Mine was the fuel pump and it was $400.

BP

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well, here's the latest update!

Stator = cool
engine charging system = cool

My brake light wasn't working either. so he fixed that, and has since been looking for a wire that may be shorting out and slowly discharging the battery. Since he did the brake problem, the battery has held charge fine on it's own (granted it's not in the cold really) and the engine has been sending charge just fine.

So we'll see what happens when he gets it all back together...

·
Administrator
7,990 Posts
My old 93 wildcat gave me some small problems over the years, most was because of me. I installed a smaller 95 ZR 580 battery in it to save some weight. That didn't work, it ran but would miss and stumble once in a while. I installed under the hood lights to shine out the vents, 2 green and 2 purple lights, looked pretty cool, except I left the lights on over night and drained the battery. Tried to charge it from jumper cables hooked to a truck, that didnt work either, blew the fuse. Put in a new battery, but the light stayed on and it didnt charge. lasted about 80 miles and just shut off. After that weekend, I decided that if I go on a week long trip that I take another battery with me, a low amp charger, and spare fuses. Once I understood the fuse thing, and the right size battery for the sled, I never had another problem with it. Those old 700 engines are good ones.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I agree, i've been most impressed with the ol' 700. She still likes to boogy.

I installed under the hood LED's also. connected direct to the battery and then on an inline seperate switch.
I'm VERY conscious about making sure I turn them off. But I can see how that could happen.

I just hope it was a simple little short somewhere that drain(s) the battery. Worst case, I may check my LED wire cirucit for continuity also and verify there is no short in it....

I'm ready for my summer sled projects...but first need it back from the dealer...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.