Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm looking at installing a reverse light on my machine, I would prefer though that It came on when the machine was in reverse and turned off when i was in N, H, and L. I know cupsz has a reverse light on his machine but he leaves his switched on all the time, which is a good idea when plowing, but I don't plow with my machine.

Do our machines have a reverse circuit that can be wired into like there is on a grizzly??

Thanks,

- Terry

·
Registered
704 Posts
Found a thread where someone is doing something similar, this isn't an 08 but the basic concept is the same.

http://www.arcticchat.com/forum/performance-technical-info/210887-reverse-light-hookup.html

In short its normally done like this:

(1) find your reverse switch coming from the engine
(2) use a multimeter to find out if the reverse switch sends a ground or +12 volts when in reverse.
(3) wire in a relay to send +12 volts to your backup lights when the bike is in reverse.
(4) consider adding a switch in line so you can turn them on at any time.

If you need any help with it or how to wire in the relay just let me know!

·
Registered
704 Posts
Did some digging and found a wiring diagram for the 2008 500
You should be looking for a plug on the engine that has several wires in it. (see diagram)

The wire you want should be red with a yellow tracer, and should probably show a ground when the transmission is in reverse.

Floor plan Plan Text Diagram Technical drawing

Verify the wire does in fact show a ground when the tranny is in reverse and we can go from there with how to wire in a relay for lights. You can possibly just ground your lights here but to be on the safe side I would advise using a relay.

·
Administrator
8,065 Posts
I always though of mounting a momentary on/off switch ( or a micro switch) someplace in the shift linkage so that when the lever is pulled back in engages the switch. Probably not high tech but it would work. My next thought is to tap into the foot control brake pedal, the brakes really dont have any stopping power and you just need to push it far enough to light the rear brake light w/ a jumper to the back up lights, with an inline switch to shut it off while basic riding.
for the most part, I just mount the lights in the speed rack, plug them in the rear 12v adapter and leave them on when I plow at night. I rarely plow at night so it's not a big deal to me.

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
Terry,
I know I have posted these photos before but this is what I did on mine.
I just mounted a small rocker switch next to my shift lever and wired it into the wires going to my accessory plug. It's right there when I shift into reverse or back to forward and I can leave it on if needed.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I like where you mounted the light.
That is definitely something I am considering for mine. I think I would want it wired to come on with the lever myself instead of a switch of it's own.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
That is a real nice setup there rick!

I am going to have a look today and see if i can find that red/yellow wire and determine weather its a ground while in reverse, Can anyone explain to me how to do this? If done some small electrical work before but have never wired up lights.

·
Registered
704 Posts
That is a real nice setup there rick!

I am going to have a look today and see if i can find that red/yellow wire and determine weather its a ground while in reverse, Can anyone explain to me how to do this? If done some small electrical work before but have never wired up lights.
Terry the red/yellow wire should be coming out of your transmission, there should be a plug with the following wires in it:
Red / Yellow
Blue / Black
Gray / Green
White / Black

Heres how you should be able to verify that you're getting a ground.

1) Grab a test light, leave the plug connected to the tranny.
2) Connect the end of the test light to your (+) positive terminal on the battery.
3) Skin back the red/yellow wire slightly or pierce the insulation on the wire with a stick pin.
4) Turn the switch to the ON position.
5) touch the other lead of the test light to the red/yellow wire with the transmission in reverse, the test light should illuminate.
6) Move the shift lever to neutral, then high, then low range. The test light should NOT illuminate.

If it lights up only in reverse, congrats you've found the correct wire, depending on the light you choose to use you may need to use a relay to power the reverse light, I wouldn't suggest wiring any high current lights directly to the ground there without a relay as it's probably not designed to carry much current.

I'll draw up a diagram showing you how to wire in a relay to eliminate the possibility of messing anything up! :)

Attachments

·
Administrator
8,065 Posts
Where did you purchase the light? how much? model? thanks tigger

·
Registered
107 Posts
If it lights up only in reverse, congrats you've found the correct wire, depending on the light you choose to use you may need to use a relay to power the reverse light, I wouldn't suggest wiring any high current lights directly to the ground there without a relay as it's probably not designed to carry much current.

I'll draw up a diagram showing you how to wire in a relay to eliminate the possibility of messing anything up! :)
Do any of your LED's have enough power to use in a backup light application?

I was thinking the XIL-EP440 on your site might make a good light.

Thanks for the diagram and tips.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for the info pondtunes! I never got the chance to hunt for the wire yesterday as I was out riding, i will check today though!

Tigger, I got the lights at princess auto. they were only $20 I was going to run them up front for accessory lights but they will draw too much power so I decided to use them as a reverse light. I'm not sure if I will use one light or 2 of the lights yet.

Gsmagnum, I had originally planned to use pondtunes LED's as a backup light. But seeing as how I had no use for these halogens anymore I decided to cut the LED reverse lights from my order to save some cash and use the halogens as a reverse light.

·
Premium Member
2,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I got my circuit tester out and the wire does indeed show a ground when in reverse. Now, where do I go from here?

·
Registered
704 Posts
Do any of your LED's have enough power to use in a backup light application?

I was thinking the XIL-EP440 on your site might make a good light.

Thanks for the diagram and tips.

I think XIL-EP440 would be way overkill for a back-up light.. The XIL-EP440 puts out 3,440 Lumens... HIDs put out about 3200 Lumens, so installing one of those would be like installing a set of HIDs on the rear of your bike! I think you would be better served with something like this:

This is two of my flexible 12 LED strips in pure white, mounted to either side of the storage box on my rancher. It throws plenty of light behind me for backing up and can be had as a kit with 2 lights & a relay for about $30 + shipping, versus the $450 or so for the XIL-EP440..

The XIL-EP440 is an amazing LED light that you could use all day as a headlight but I don't think its the right choice for a backup light.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.