Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, bought a used reverse case and after a bit of "figure it out" reverse engineering, got it installed.

Sled goes forward fine, but when you put it into reverse you can feel it grind/skip for a second before it engages.

I tried adjusting the linkage in both directions as much as possible and no change.

Opened the case back up and removed the gear assembly and sure enough the pins look worse than before and the gear is a bit more wallowed.

Not sure what to do at this point. Think I'll replace the pins/springs/retainer regardless.

At this point, I'm not sure if it's a linkage problem, or the gear is too wallowed out to use.

Also noticed the bearing ring has a crack, although it still spins freely I'll replace that as well.

I'd appreciate some input.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,863 Posts
New pins will help some, not much, but some. The gear is close to toast. That is a pricey gear! I would put new pins in it and adjust the gear to be 1.75" while in reverse thru the plug inspection hole. Can use a popsicle stick or the likes with a mark on it. I am assuming this is a 13 wide set up chain and gears for this measurement of 1.75" (1 3/4")
(6) How to adjust the reverse gear ? | Arctic Cat Forum

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I suspect it may be a linkage problem, that it's not pulling the gear out far enough. Not sure what else I can do about it tho. Seeing as I've already adjusted it both ways as much as possible.

·
Registered
9,863 Posts
What is the number on the chain tensioner (#22)? It will be stamped on it. What is the gear ratio 24/39? Not the big gear the others. What did the reverse come from? Some times for example,...if it came from a 370 or 440 and you install it on a model with taller gearing, you need to change the chain tensioner because of clearance between that and the chain. I have found too that the idler wheels come in to play on occasion. Had that happen to me when I installed one on my sled.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Kind of a side note but I’ve found it to be beneficial to use the manual tensioner out of the non reverse case, and throw out the auto tensioner. Just check the tension every 500 miles or so.
Could be just me, but the auto tensioners have “stuck” on me and caused the chain to run a little loose and wear the gears more than normal.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What is the number on the chain tensioner (#22)? It will be stamped on it. What is the gear ratio 24/39? Not the big gear the others. What did the reverse come from? Some times for example,...if it came from a 370 or 440 and you install it on a model with taller gearing, you need to change the chain tensioner because of clearance between that and the chain. I have found too that the idler wheels come in to play on occasion. Had that happen to me when I installed one on my sled.
Ok, so I've determined the grinding is the idler, it seems I have 2 issues. The inner 15w idler coming off the chain, and the outer one (skinny gear) misaligning with the lower (skinny) reverse gear.

·
Registered
9,863 Posts
When I said chain tensioner I miss spoke. I should of said chain bracket. #22. Check the micro fiche to see if you have the correct gears in it along with the correct chain bracket.
Alpha Sports - Arctic Cat Snowmobile Catalog

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When I said chain tensioner I miss spoke. I should of said chain bracket. #22. Check the micro fiche to see if you have the correct gears in it along with the correct chain bracket.
Alpha Sports - Arctic Cat Snowmobile Catalog
I do not have that tensioner/bracket on that side, does it somehow align the idler? It appeared to just keep the chain in place.

The gears are all correct far as I can tell, none of them are stamped with part numbers, but I measured them and counted the teeth, and they match up to the microfiche.

·
Registered
9,863 Posts
Well, that's likely the whole problem. You need to get one of those.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Awesome. Nobody has the damn thing and it's almost a bill to boot for that stupid metal piece.

I found this... it looks suspiciously close... the seller won't respond to my question.

Worth a shot?

·
Registered
9,052 Posts
Does chain line up in both forward and reverse? Is it possible the driveshaft is "locked" in place slightly off? I've heard of guys not locking it until you spin it a few times with all gears bolted on.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I made sure to spin it a bit both ways when tensioning the chain, the Chain seems perfectly aligned and working well on the drive and driven gears. It's only been an issue with the idlers. It's hard to get the reverse (skinny) gears lined up with the case off, but it seems to spin out (like they are not close enough) when I pull it out and spin it by hand.

·
Registered
9,052 Posts
What year and sled are you working on and what year / sled did reverse come off of? tcat446 asked what reverse came off but didn’t get an answer.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My sled is a 01 ZR800, the kit allegedly came off a ZR, but at this point I doubt it. If nothing else the shift linkage is on the wrong side of the case. (On the ight vs Left.) The guy I bought it from was a BS artist. Was supposed to be complete, it wasn't.

·
Registered
9,052 Posts
You got a 99 and older ZR reverse then which outer case goes back to 1992 models.

·
Registered
9,052 Posts
I'm not sure if that's the issue. What parts were missing that you needed? Idlers and hardware are different between the two styles.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Spacers and that tensioner block thing were the only missing parts.

·
Registered
9,863 Posts
First off be sure the thick washer is behind the lower reverse gear and against the bearing. Then see that you have all the washers behing the idler gears. I am thinking they are like .030" or so thick. One on each side plus the thicker on against the case. Just check micro fiche to see for (your) model and year if its stock gearing. Then let me know. What gearing are you planning on running??? You may need a different bracket according to the gearing. If stock, then the 0602-900 is what you want. Try all the salvage yards. I would never pay that for it. Try Hudons sled salvage, slick Ricks, etc... Just Google them. Al's will have it but at inflated prices.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This entire time, it was that stupid tensioner/spacer block. Unreal.

I feel like a moron.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts