Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if I can replace the stock hex clutch on a 1979 jag 340 with a clutch from a more modern sled and have the same alignment and not have to do any major modifications? I see lots of primary clutches on eBay for later model arctic cat sleds (30 mm bore). Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
659 Posts
it will bolt right up, the difference is in belt width. I'am doing the same thing to my 73 tigre but using newer primary and secondary and found a belt that is the same length but 1 3/8 wide instead of 1 1/4. from what I understand the clutches are the same as far as a alignment stand point.

·
Registered
616 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (1979_jag_in_ADKs @ Dec 21 2009, 10:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Does anyone know if I can replace the stock hex clutch on a 1979 jag 340 with a clutch from a more modern sled and have the same alignment and not have to do any major modifications? I see lots of primary clutches on eBay for later model arctic cat sleds (30 mm bore). Thanks in advance![/b]
Oh come on, be a hard head like me and run that hex clutch! LOL!

Seriously, you shouldn't have any problems replacing your clutch. A Comet Duster makes a great replacement for a Jag. A 102 will work fine too. I used to get all "anal" about clutch alignment, but I've made it real simple: After you get your clutch combo and drive belt mounted, start the sled up on a track stand and gas it a few times and watch the driven clutch as you're doing it. If it moves enough to touch either the shims on the inside of the driven on the jackshaft shaft or the big flat washer under the bolt on the outside of the driven, then take out some inside shims and/or add flat washers under the bolt as needed until the driven doesn't touch in either place. Viola, your drive/driven clutches are aligned!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"mtnbke_62Dec 21 2009, 11:03 PM
it will bolt right up, the difference is in belt width. I'am doing the same thing to my 73 tigre but using newer primary and secondary and found a belt that is the same length but 1 3/8 wide instead of 1 1/4. from what I understand the clutches are the same as far as a alignment stand point. ..."

Thanks mynbke_62! What model sled and clucthes are you talking aboit here? your text is cut off...

Sam

1 - 4 of 4 Posts