Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

removing smart valves

17K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  Robbyf36 
#1 ·
I have an 05 F6 EFI. I may have an issue with the smart valves so I'm considering removing them and doing an inspection. I've read a lot of the posts but I haven't found the procedure for removing them. I have a full tank of gas right now. Do I just reach in there and give them a twist or something? Any tips would be great. Thanks.

#5 ·
Dont quote me because i have never done this before and never had an issue with my smart valves...but i THINK the smart valves are attached to a fuel line and the fuel line is long enough to pull out of the tank... I've herd of people taking the valves apart, cleaning them and stretching the spring a bit before putting them back together. I've also herd of people taking the smart valves out all together and using just a regular fuel filter instead...like any other snomobile

But like i said, i dont know for sure...im sure someone will chime in and shed some light

#9 ·
On my 03, I could only access the furthest one out. To get to the second one, I had to remove the fuel pump. Others could have found they had longer fuel lines. The springs are a specific strength to work the valves, if you put a stiffer spring in, you might as well just remove them IMO.

For testing purposes, you could pull up the closest one, remove the valve/spring & snap the screen back on. That could rule them out as a potential problem, if thats what your looking to do.

#13 ·
Thanks for all the replies guys. I reached in and grabbed the furthest one and pulled it out and it looked fine, had the springy feel. The other one I just inspected with my hand while it was still in the tank. That one wasn't stuck and also had that springy feel. Turns out my issue was the TSS. Thanks for the help guys.

#15 ·
Did you take them apart at all? There should be a screen that covers the entire bottom of the pickup. In the center there is a plastic shaft that the screen snaps over & the white valve is under that. Then, the spring. if you push on the sides of the screen next to the center shaft , all pieces should go inward to close the valve. outside the valve area the screen might feel springy, don't push on that & be carful not to rip it. Very easy to take apart, & then you can see how it works. ;)

#17 ·
The screens should have a plastic edge around the outside diameter of them. That will pop off from the housing. I can't picture it in my head right now, but it should be pretty straight forward when you look at them. Maybe somebody here has a picture of one.

Reactions: aaronmach1
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.