Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was looking for some expert help here. I have the faulty recalled primary clutch on my 1999 ZR 440 Sno-Pro and need to get it replaced. The dealer said they would be able to repair just the clutch without bringing in the entire sled. Is this a relatively easy job? Any special tools required? The dealer told me a $95 clutch puller would be required. Can a standard "arm/center bolt" puller work? Again, kind of new to this snowmobile thing, so any help would be appreciated.

The dealer also told me that the clutch pins and weights are generally trash at around 1,500 miles. This seems a little "premature" for parts to be worn out?

·
Premium Member
4,640 Posts
You need a clutch puller but they don't cost $95. Try EPI, get their "Premium" puller (part number PCP-5) Price is $37.95 for a great puller.

The weights shouldn't be trash unless there is excessive wear on the weight bushings. You will want to replace the weight bushings at least and inspection will show if your weights need replacing. I don't know how many miles are on your clutch but sheave bushings are lucky to last 1500 miles. If the sheave bushings are shot, just buy a new uncalibrated 9 tower from KSI Motorports on ebay for $239 shipped. Thats a great deal on a NEW 9 tower and all you have to do is install the bushings and springs and bolt it back on the sled.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the speedy and detailed reply. You advice is great and I'll be taking it. Thanks Jeff H!

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jeff H @ Jan 12 2007, 02:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
... I don't know how many miles are on your clutch but sheave bushings are lucky to last 1500 miles...[/b]
The sled has a little less than 1500 miles on it.

·
Premium Member
4,640 Posts
Wow, and you just bought that this year right? I hope the rest of the sled reflects those low miles and looks mint. Thats a great find.

If your stock clutch is not in ghastly shape, just keep it around for a spare for now. It will work on your ZRT also if you still have that.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jeff H @ Jan 12 2007, 04:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Wow, and you just bought that this year right? I hope the rest of the sled reflects those low miles and looks mint. Thats a great find.

If your stock clutch is not in ghastly shape, just keep it around for a spare for now. It will work on your ZRT also if you still have that.[/b]
Yes - purchased it during on my way home from a Michigan hunting trip. Saw the sled which belonged to my father former boss, he only used it one season back in 1999. The guy was like 60 years old at the time he purchased it (he's now almost 70) and no longer sleds about. The sled was in such good shape, I didn't hesitate and bought it only after starting it (started on the first pull). Not to brag, but the sled is spotless, starts on the first pull (event when cold), and looks like it was just taken off the showroom floor. Nothing appears to be messed up with the exception of the tank cover on which the Velcro has separated from cover for about 1 inch (replacement part on it's way to me right now). I replaced the belt with a new AC original equipment belt, and the spark plugs were incorrect, so I replaced them with the correct BR10EYA plugs as stated in the manual. Changed gear oil (original oil was still clear), brake oil (original was still clear), and coolant. Adjusted the chain in 1 and 1/2 turns till finger tight.

Bartered with the owner and got him down from $2000 to $1700. Hopefully it was a good buy, as I've never been riding before.

Saw an article on the web where the clutch had been recalled due to stress cracks, but it has been hard to find a dealer to replace it (they all want to charge me labor charges and additional parts charges). I'm working with Arctic Cat to get this resolved.

Now since I've never as much as ridden on a snowmobile, I sure hope my first experiences are good so I want to make sure all is well before riding it. If the family enjoys sledding, I wouldn't mind purchasing a few additional sleds for the rest of the family, but not from a dealer that is trying to sell me extras and charge me labor for a safety recall. Now let's pray for snow as we intend to fly up to Michigan once the trails are rideable (one of our properties adjoins a trail, the other is about a 2 mile ride to the trail).

Thanks for your help.

FYI: Brother owns the ZRT600 - also in excellent shape with 2500 miles on the clock (although the paint has a couple of minor scratches).

·
Registered
10,332 Posts
If you purchase a puller and have a hard time gitting it off then take a brass hammer after tightening the puller and hit the end of the puller.( Make sure the puller is tighten up on it) and when you hit it, then it should snap right off.

·
Premium Member
4,640 Posts
$1700 for a mint, low mileage 99 Sno Pro is a great deal! Ride it the first time in a open area, if you can, until you get used to the power delivery. They are quick sleds!! When running good and clutched right they will pull right along with 600's.

Lucky for you one of the sharpest guys on this site happens to ride the same sled. If you have any tech questions about it try dropping C-Note a PM. He's in Mi too.

·
Registered
732 Posts
also if hitting the the puller with the hammer dosnt work pull the puller out, pump the hole full of grease and put the puller back in and tighten it right up. this uses hydrolic pressure to pop the clutch off instead of brute force. if it dosnt come off after that just keep pulling out the puller, pumping in more grease and tightening. it usually takes 2 trys to get my clutch off.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Don't forget to smear grease or antiseize on the puller threads.

The biggest problems I have found with the 9 tower primary are the bushings. If you have access to a lathe you can make them out of bronze bearing material and they last twice as long. The weight bushings seem to fail prematurely as well, I'll probably try making good bronze bushings for those next time to see how they last.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Purchased the new clutch as recommended on eBay -->Link. Will take the old one in to have the recall done anyway and keep it around as a spare. Any idea on how difficult it is to transfer over weights, springs, etc? Any additional specialized tools required?

·
Premium Member
4,640 Posts
Nothing specialized required but Torx bits for the weight pins and primary cover. The clutch will come with new weight pins and shims. Just install the weights and spring. Make sure your weight bushings are in good shape and if they are worn replace them before you install them.

Did you get the puller too? I'm going to get a new EPI puller myself. I borrowed mine out and the kid chewed up the end of it and bent it a bit. I'm just going to get a new one and give him mine.

·
Registered
31 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jeff H @ Jan 12 2007, 11:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
$1700 for a mint, low mileage 99 Sno Pro is a great deal! Ride it the first time in a open area, if you can, until you get used to the power delivery. They are quick sleds!! When running good and clutched right they will pull right along with 600's.

Lucky for you one of the sharpest guys on this site happens to ride the same sled. If you have any tech questions about it try dropping C-Note a PM. He's in Mi too.[/b]
Yeah what he said. Very fast sled for being a 440, they also handle great. Love that body style. I wish I would have kept mine and put in a different motor. Keep in mind that thease were designed to be race sleds. Blair Morgan owned all on this sled.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts