Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got an EXT that the flywheel just won't come off - already stripped the threads off a harmonic puller and ruined 2 sets of bolts.

Any tricks? How hot can I get it without damaging anything? I dunno

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Green Snowman @ Nov 17 2009, 09:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Got an EXT that the flywheel just won't come off - already stripped the threads off a harmonic puller and ruined 2 sets of bolts.

Any tricks? How hot can I get it without damaging anything? I dunno[/b]

are you tapping the end of the puller with a hammer as you tighten it up ?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
was "tapping" (beating the snot out of it) pretty good - had a 3ft bar on the harmonic balancer and 3ft bar in on the socket twisted the 3 bolts back and forth until the were spaghetti, I was amazed they didnt break but at $8 a set I quit after 2 sets. I also was shooting it with PB.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
i did have one a couple of weeks ago on 98 zr 600 ,it was the same way ,broke 3 sets off bolts (grade8) finally i used a sledge hammer and gave it a good pop with pressure on the puller ,it came right off,good luck Cat happy

·
Registered
152 Posts
make sure the puller is bolted up tight to flywheel.keeps tension even on all three bolts. tighten puller bolt tight and smack with bfh. repeat, repeat,and repeat till somthing gives. i went through 3 sets of bolts.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Problem is you need grade 8 bolts Off the top of my head I think there 6mm X 1.0 but they have to be grade 8 bolts the ones you buy at the hardware store are not going to cut it they break too easy. You get the bolts on there thread them in as far as they go you want as much thread in as you can. Then tighten it down and tap the puller with a hammer might take a while sometimes you might have to leave the puller tight on there for a while then tap on it. Sometime the fly wheel comes off right a way other times its a battle. You just got keep tightening and tapping the puller with a hammer it sucks but they come after a while.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (teamgreen2 @ Nov 17 2009, 10:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Problem is you need grade 8 bolts Off the top of my head I think there 6mm X 1.0 but they have to be grade 8 bolts the ones you buy at the hardware store are not going to cut it they break too easy. You get the bolts on there thread them in as far as they go you want as much thread in as you can. Then tighten it down and tap the puller with a hammer might take a while sometimes you might have to leave the puller tight on there for a while then tap on it. Sometime the fly wheel comes off right a way other times its a battle. You just got keep tightening and tapping the puller with a hammer it sucks but they come after a while.[/b]
twisted 2 sets of grade 8 bolts already and beat it silly - can I torch it up red after clearing all hoses and electrical?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Green Snowman @ Nov 17 2009, 10:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (teamgreen2 @ Nov 17 2009, 10:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Problem is you need .[/b]
twisted 2 sets of grade 8 bolts already and beat it silly - can I torch it up red after clearing all hoses and electrical?
[/b][/quote]

no

·
Banned
2,947 Posts
I'm sure you've done everything right. But here is a video that I put together showing how to swap out a stator. It of course includes how to remove the flywheel. Don't heat it because the magnets are held in with an adhesive and it can cause them to come loose or I would think potentially set the adhesive on fire. As far as hitting it over and over again..you risk knocking the magnets loose but sometimes there isn't a much better way to get it loose. There are circumstances were people have to sacrifice a flywheel to get it off.....but of course try everything else first. I do make reference in the video as to what snofrog asked in post #5. you loosen the center bolt but don't take it all the way out. Keep us posted on how it goes.

How to remove the flywheel

·
Registered
6,670 Posts
Just checking if you have the puller tight to the flywheel. I mount it flush and use nuts as spacers under the bolt heads so they won't go too deep and damage the stator. I use hex head socket bolts which are a 12.9 grade. The puller will separate slightly from the flywheel as pressure is applied, but I find it's sturdier.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Blaine @ Nov 18 2009, 07:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I'm sure you've done everything right. But here is a video that I put together showing how to swap out a stator. It of course includes how to remove the flywheel. Don't heat it because the magnets are held in with an adhesive and it can cause them to come loose or I would think potentially set the adhesive on fire. As far as hitting it over and over again..you risk knocking the magnets loose but sometimes there isn't a much better way to get it loose. There are circumstances were people have to sacrifice a flywheel to get it off.....but of course try everything else first. I do make reference in the video as to what snofrog asked in post #5. you loosen the center bolt but don't take it all the way out. Keep us posted on how it goes.

How to remove the flywheel[/b]
This is a older EXT so it has a nut in the center of the flywheel, lock washer, and washer. I think I'm just going to fire it up, only concerned with getting to the stator as flywheels are cheap on ebay.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts