Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whenever i turn the remote shock limiter assy. next to the handlebars for the past few days it makes a hissing noise ( like i have a flat tire ) , today i came out and the back end of my sled was saging like an 80 year old womans bra ..... has anyone else had something similar to this happen ? do you think that the limiter assy. needs rebuilt or is there a possibility that i need the shocks rebuilt also ? if it is only the limiter will the shocks take anything else aside from nitrogen ? i've never had to do them before
thanks for the imput
tom

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ps . a small amount of oil also came out of the limiter

·
Registered
780 Posts
I have a 1999 ZR440 Sno Pro also with the same setup. I was told that when the shocks begin to "hiss" they need to be rebuilt and nitrogen charged. I'm a novice at this and can only go on hearsay and that is what I heard.

·
Administrator
20,024 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sysanalyst @ Jan 5 2007, 05:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I have a 1999 ZR440 Sno Pro also with the same setup. I was told that when the shocks begin to "hiss" they need to be rebuilt and nitrogen charged. I'm a novice at this and can only go on hearsay and that is what I heard.[/b]
you heard correct,, plus the sagging like a ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, lol,, may very well be an indication of rear torsion spring replacement time also, and don't forget getting the limiter assy itself serviced

·
Registered
514 Posts
Rebuild em, I had a 98 ZR440 and mine saged alot no hiss but FYI rebuilding the shocks wont help the sag, you need new torsion springs, those shocks take a pounding when the torsion spring starts to loose it spring. I had mine built and the guy that did them used good ams oil shock oil and good seels and recharged them. Its kinda a pain to get the handle bar control out, when you put it back in take your time alighning the quik connect so you can do it once and do it quikly so oil dosent squirt out.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
this is my first time having to get theses rebuilt , torsion springs ect .... roughly what should it cost ??

·
Registered
87 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Blackcat083 @ Jan 5 2007, 09:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
this is my first time having to get theses rebuilt , torsion springs ect .... roughly what should it cost ??[/b]
I spent about $70 american each shock to have them rebuilt and $75 for the RA on front skid. I had the shop double check the front skid RA shock pressure after install. I felt it was worth it, as I let a little oil squirt out - the remote reservior will hang off the side far enough to check nitrogen PSI and you can finish installing it then.
hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Blackcat083 @ Jan 5 2007, 05:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
whenever i turn the remote shock limiter assy. next to the handlebars for the past few days it makes a hissing noise ( like i have a flat tire ) , today i came out and the back end of my sled was saging like an 80 year old womans bra ..... has anyone else had something similar to this happen ? do you think that the limiter assy. needs rebuilt or is there a possibility that i need the shocks rebuilt also ? if it is only the limiter will the shocks take anything else aside from nitrogen ? i've never had to do them before
thanks for the imput
tom[/b]
-Hissing sound is not normal
-How far are you turning the adjuster in? Any more than 1 - 3 turns can / will cause damage
-Rear end sag is either baffed out springs or shocks with oil on the wrong side of the piston.
IMHO.............pull the skid / have the shocks serviced and if the springs have any miles on em it's time to replace.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks zr, i didn't know that any more than 1-3 turns will damage the limiter ... i haven't had enough snow to ride the thing since i had it and no one at the dealer had ever mentioned it to me either , i'd hate to admit it but i more than likely damaged the limiter myself . the sled has just short of 1,600 mi. on it and i am pulling the shock to take to the local dealer to have rebuilt .
if anybody needs me they can find me out back doing a snow dance :)
tom

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
Most dealers don't know much about em either.
Set your sled up a bit on the loose side for higher speed running, now once your in the tight stuff crank it down a couple of turns, if that does not give you enough weight / bite on the front end back it off and tighten up your initial set up some more. The mistake folks make is using the adjuster to make up for a poorly set up sled rather than enhancing it.
Using as I've described combined with tying the hoses up properly will see you get thousands of miles between o'hauls.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts