Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Bullet proof! You can do anything to this motor and not hurt it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i am going to put a speedwerx y pipe and pipe, jaws can, speedwerx air horn, speedwerx clutch kit, boondockers control box, i have side vents and a gauge cage coming for it. will i still have good reliability?

·
Registered
895 Posts
If you now how to use all the stuff you listed.
The motors are very well built

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what do u mean by "if i know how to use that stuff"? just wondering if there's anything i should know? this is my first cat, been on doo's for years i know a little about sleds just like to know what u meant, thanks.

·
Registered
691 Posts
The '09 800 is a very reliable platform in stock and modded form (but as old crow said, if you know what you're doing). The only issue I've had is the oil injector nozzles weep oil when sitting. This is a known issue that has varying degrees of severity and is not limited to the 800 engine.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i would just like to know what u mean by "if you know how to use the stuff" just would really like to know if there are any tips, or anything to look out for. i would just put the stuff on, tune it in and use it. just like i did on my ski-doo 800.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Pretty sure he is saying that if you just bolt all of that stuff on you will probably have a crappy running and driving machine unless you know how to tune everything together to make it all work out. If you have been modding sleds for years you should have no problem getting everything to sync together and be happy with each other. I personally wouldn't make any of those changes until you drive the sled a few hundred miles to get a baseline.

·
Registered
703 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (troy burt @ Nov 25 2009, 06:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
i would just like to know what u mean by "if you know how to use the stuff" just would really like to know if there are any tips, or anything to look out for. i would just put the stuff on, tune it in and use it. just like i did on my ski-doo 800.[/b]
Pretty sure it is not a crack at you. These engines are bullet proof... Period. They also take very well to mods. The 800 ECU program is built in with a ton of safelty and also there is a ton of room in that safety net to add mods without fuel controllers. Speedwerks should be able to give you a baseline of where to start with your boondocker settings.... but to olds crows comment, he is saying you will get better results if you know how to tune in the BD.

Depending on your elevation and grade of gas that is available you might not need the controller. I know with the SLP full pipe kit (y pipe, pipe and can) you can also run it with a high flow airbox without a controller above 3000ft. The wicked thing with Cat is if you ever get into a deto problem (and you shouldnt unless you are running too many mods or bad gas) the knock sensor detects deto and will pull timing and dump fuel... you will know this is happening when you get a flash on the guages reading OCTANE. Great feature that is not over active the Polaris D8 last year. I run some pretty shady fuel at times and always ride hard and have never seen this myself. Part of the reason why there is so much more room for mods on the cat stock ECU program is due to the port timing. It is far less aggressive than the other manufacturers (DOO and POO).

One the other hand, one of the best mods that can be made on the cat 800 engines in the D&D shim kits, which elevates the port timing to a more agressive position... the major reason for the high output on the new 2010 cat 800HO engine. Upwards 12-15hp gains for a little under $300... check it out. There is more than enough info available about them here and on HCS in both the crossfire and 07+ F-series forums

·
Super Moderator
8,383 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Johnmaster @ Nov 25 2009, 12:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Pretty sure he is saying that if you just bolt all of that stuff on you will probably have a crappy running and driving machine unless you know how to tune everything together to make it all work out. If you have been modding sleds for years you should have no problem getting everything to sync together and be happy with each other. I personally wouldn't make any of those changes until you drive the sled a few hundred miles to get a baseline.[/b]
These motors are running pretty good right out of the box. They keep gaining zip until about the 250 and often the 400 mile mark.

If you are not happy at that point, then think about adding bling. I have been pretty happy with the stock performance out of the motor. Cat happy We run at low elevation though.

·
Registered
115 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (F_ast @ Nov 26 2009, 08:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (troy burt @ Nov 25 2009, 06:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i would just like to know what u mean by "if you know how to use the stuff" just would really like to know if there are any tips, or anything to look out for. i would just put the stuff on, tune it in and use it. just like i did on my ski-doo 800.[/b]
Pretty sure it is not a crack at you. These engines are bullet proof... Period. They also take very well to mods. The 800 ECU program is built in with a ton of safelty and also there is a ton of room in that safety net to add mods without fuel controllers. Speedwerks should be able to give you a baseline of where to start with your boondocker settings.... but to olds crows comment, he is saying you will get better results if you know how to tune in the BD.

Depending on your elevation and grade of gas that is available you might not need the controller. I know with the SLP full pipe kit (y pipe, pipe and can) you can also run it with a high flow airbox without a controller above 3000ft. The wicked thing with Cat is if you ever get into a deto problem (and you shouldnt unless you are running too many mods or bad gas) the knock sensor detects deto and will pull timing and dump fuel... you will know this is happening when you get a flash on the guages reading OCTANE. Great feature that is not over active the Polaris D8 last year. I run some pretty shady fuel at times and always ride hard and have never seen this myself. Part of the reason why there is so much more room for mods on the cat stock ECU program is due to the port timing. It is far less aggressive than the other manufacturers (DOO and POO).

One the other hand, one of the best mods that can be made on the cat 800 engines in the D&D shim kits, which elevates the port timing to a more agressive position... the major reason for the high output on the new 2010 cat 800HO engine. Upwards 12-15hp gains for a little under $300... check it out. There is more than enough info available about them here and on HCS in both the crossfire and 07+ F-series forums
[/b][/quote]
For the 250th time you do not need a fuel control box at any elevation with the SLP pipe setup. It is safe at all elevations in addition to SLP's high flow intake kit, and V Force 3 Reeds.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hey, i am planiing on putting 500 kms on this sled before doing anything, i wanna break it in real good and get a good baseline so i can see the real difference. i am going to be running this sled at sea level to max of 3000 ft above sea level, i have i bought everything from speedwerx by speedwerx for 0 - 3000 ft, and speedwerx gave me a spec sheet for the pipe to set up my BD box. they said the specs they gave me would be good for all of my mods, i am not really doing anything except exhaust and that air horn and well air vents. installing the side vents and gauge cage should't need any tuning should it? i don't see why it would ? but who knows. thanks again!

·
Registered
146 Posts
What are you guys getting for gas mileage and range on the CF 8s. I have one in the garage and was going to sell it but it is starting to grow on me.......I ride high mile days, 300+ and was wondering if this would be a good sled for that and some boonie riding..........the Apex is getting up in the miles so I might just keep this.....wanted a Doo but I'm concerned with the reliability of the 800s.....

·
Registered
703 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (XFIRE800 @ Nov 27 2009, 10:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
For the 250th time you do not need a fuel control box at any elevation with the SLP pipe setup. It is safe at all elevations in addition to SLP's high flow intake kit, and V Force 3 Reeds.[/b]
It is fine if you have reliable 91 everywhere you go. If you do not, you will want to add fuel. SLP claim they are safe at all elevations yes, but when you start to add more mods onto it like airbox, reeds or whatever, you string it out a little more or rely on the safety perameter of the sleds to retard your performance. If you are going to spend the cash on mods, why not spend a little more and be able to control the sleds performande under all situations, Ultra cold temps, elevation changes, lower octane fuel and the list goes on.

Not to get off topic. sorry. The sled will be safe with lots of mods on it yes. I am just touching on retaining performance when the safty features kick on from stinging them out with too many... if you follow me

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (s pump @ Nov 28 2009, 12:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
What are you guys getting for gas mileage and range on the CF 8s. I have one in the garage and was going to sell it but it is starting to grow on me.......I ride high mile days, 300+ and was wondering if this would be a good sled for that and some boonie riding..........the Apex is getting up in the miles so I might just keep this.....wanted a Doo but I'm concerned with the reliability of the 800s.....[/b]
with my 09 800sp with 1.5 cobra track, if can get 120 miles to a tank (still some slushing around in the bottom), but I run hard and am always off playing in the snow, so hard to judge what a straight trail rider will get if they are not overly aggressive. But mine gets about 10 MPG

·
Registered
691 Posts
I ride pretty easy on my 800 CFR and my fuel milage has crept over 12 MPG pretty consistantly. Except for the 4 stroke riders in my group my sled is never the gas pig on long trips. Many 600 riders fill up when I still have over 1/4 left!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts