Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get a pipe for my 500. Thinking HMF. Will someone go into detail on what jet kit I will need and how I would go about changing the jetting...is this something a rookie could do?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
If you have just a little bit of mechanical know-how you can rejet your carb, basically all you need to do is run a screw driver and pliers :lol:
As for jet kits DynoJet is the main one, alot of other brand kits are just DynoJet's with a different cover.
HERE is a carb jetting guide I did up while rejetting my DVX. For your 500 doing things to the carb will be very similar, its just getting to the carb to work that will be different.
One last thing I will add is that even with a jet kit, the jet sizes are only recomendations, dont be to surprised if you have to tear into the carb again to get the jetting right. Also be careful when taking out the bowl screws, they do strip easy and once the carb bowl is off, wash your hands so you do not get dirt in the carb/jets when working on it.
Be brave and do it yourself, if you run into troubles the members here will be able to help you out thumbguy

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So pretty much you take out the needle jet clip and put in the one from dyno jet and adjust it to what they say. Than once I do that and resinstall it I also have to play with the pilot screw(will the instructions on the kit I order tell me how much to turn and all that). Does anyone know if you have to drill out the inserts above the screw on the 500's? Thanks for any more info...I want to do this myself...just a little scrared. Oh and how many extra spark plugs should I have around when attempting this?

Also where should I order the pipe from and what kind do I need to order since they dont make one for a 500 and will it just slip on with modifacation needed? And what do I need to all order for the jetting? Im sorry...but I just have no clue what to do bang your head

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CuppedAndComitted @ Feb 28 2007, 01:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
So pretty much you take out the needle jet clip and put in the one from dyno jet and adjust it to what they say.[/b]
You will have to switch the needle and the c-clip on it. The stock needle does not have any other grooves for adjustment whereas the DynoJet one willhave 5 or 6 grooves for it, the instructions will list the best grove for your application/altitude. The only other thing you will have to change is the main jet inside the carb bowl, normally just need a small wrench to hold the base and then unscrew the jet with a flat head screw driver.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Than once I do that and resinstall it I also have to play with the pilot screw(will the instructions on the kit I order tell me how much to turn and all that). Does anyone know if you have to drill out the inserts above the screw on the 500's?[/b]
The instruction will also give the amount of turns out (from lightly seated) needed as well. I do not know if there is the plug over the pilot screw on the 500's or not, someone here will kow though thumbguy
You can download the install instructions for the DynoJet kits right off of their website for your exact ATV. JUST CLICK HERE FOR THE WEBSITE

Thanks for any more info...I want to do this myself...just a little scrared. Oh and how many extra spark plugs should I have around when attempting this?[/b]
No reason to be scared, carbs are fairly easy and simple to work on, just take you time and make sure you have things tight and in to place good before putting it all back together. As for plugs you should only need one extra new one.

And what do I need to all order for the jetting? Im sorry...but I just have no clue what to do bang your head[/b]
You will see on DynoJets website what all comes with the kit and even what kit you need, just order that. Though if you are also looking for more air you can buy a combo kit that will come with a K&N air filter, outerwears and jet kit all in one. Im not sure if K&N is still making them or not, the one for my DVX was from Quad Works.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
No plug on the pilot screw. Each quad will be a differnt setting for pilot screw but easy to adjust.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow...gofastcat...your the man. I was thinking about K&N too but Ive heard some negative comments about them from some...do you know if it is just a plug and play instal or does it take some screwing around to get it seated right? OH and anoterh question...does anyone know which side of the carb the fuel adjustment screw is so I can get the idle adjustment correct? thanks again guys...

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CuppedAndComitted @ Feb 28 2007, 03:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Wow...gofastcat...your the man.[/b]
I'm no different then you are, a few years ago I too was scared of carbs.

I was thinking about K&N too but Ive heard some negative comments about them from some...do you know if it is just a plug and play instal or does it take some screwing around to get it seated right?[/b]
You will read lots of things about air filters, some good and some bad, same as different brands of ATV's. There are many K&'s out there and more owners with no ill results then the ones that had a problem, maybe not even related to the filter but just blamed the filter I dunno
I cant say for sure what will need to be done if anything when adding the K&N, normally they are just a direct OEM replacement but sometiimes you have to do some little things.

OH and anoterh question...does anyone know which side of the carb the fuel adjustment screw is so I can get the idle adjustment correct? thanks again guys...[/b]
The fuel screw aka pilot screw is located on the bottom of the carb. The location does make it a PITA for getting proper adjustment to set idle and response.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts