Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1997 Powder Extreme with a ZRT600 in it.

I rejetted for colder temps (390) and put everything back together, and now it won't start, I realize that the carb bowls are empty, and it usually takes like 20 or so pulls to fill them and get it going, but I pull on that beast for 35 minutes straight last night.

Anything I should check? Compression is 110 - 112 across. Spark seems good - i pulled them out grounded it and pulled the cords, I observed each plug sparking.

When I had the carbs out I observed a little bit of frozen slush just inisde the air intake side, but I wiped it away and felt in the air box for more... nothing there.

I drove it into the garage, it was running great.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Is fuel getting into the carbs/engine? Just removing the carbs to rejet them shouldn't cause any problems, especially since it was running good before hand. Give everything a good look over to make sure of proper install, possibly a pinched choke cable, etc. If everything appears good then start seeing if it is getting fuel.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As I'm pulling the cord I can see bubbles moving around in the fuel line that supplies the pump ( from shut off valve ). so it looks like it's getting fuel. i'll check the choke cables too... Thought they were free but I'm not sure I specificly looked either.

·
Administrator
7,989 Posts
It should take 2 pulls to get fuel through the hose, and maybe 10 pulls to get her fired up. I would look at the fuel pump lines especially the pulse line from the engine block that "powers" the fuel pump. make sure you have gas in the tank, pull one of the supplies lines off one carb and with key off give it a pull or 2, you should see gas squirting out. If not you should look at the fuel pump or maybe it lost its prime. Tighten gas cap, and use an air compressor to pressurize the tank thru the vent line a little at a time, not too much you could rip a hole in the fuel pump diaphragm, this should send gas all the way to the carbs and have someone give a few pulls while your doing this.

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
I have found that the best way to prime the float bowls when they are empty is to blow into the fuel tank vent line. You can watch the fuel flow through the lines and you are certain that the bowls are full. One or two pulls and you should be running, as usual. Maybe the choke cables got bound up when you pulled the carbs to change the jets. If the float bowls are full, then it should start. Try fresh plugs and prime the float bowls.

·
Registered
238 Posts
over the past when neeeding to fill the carb bowls I just remove the manual fuel guage and place my mouth in the inlet and blow, it seals by your cheaks and chin, and will fill the carbs fast, another way if you dont want to smell fuel is to grab the prim and rock it back and forth, it moves the motor enough to make the pulse line feed the fuel pump which in turns primes the carbs

·
Registered
242 Posts
Its possible the fuel pump is frozen too, maybe you have water in the fuel ?

Try using a blow dryer on the fuel pump, and carbs.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gixxer @ Feb 8 2007, 11:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Its possible the fuel pump is frozen too, maybe you have water in the fuel ?

Try using a blow dryer on the fuel pump, and carbs.[/b]

I would think it's not... started it in the cold, warmed it up for 7 or 8 minutes. pulled into a heated shop, changed the jets and there it sits... there is also ISO in the fuel.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Im not an expert... could you have someone apply some throttle.. we had a sled last weekend in the UP that died on the trail at a stop sign.. changed plugs.. pulled and pulled.. we applied some throttle to it and it came alive...

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thought about that but there "should" be no need, it's never needed it before, right up to starting it to get it in the shop.

·
Registered
261 Posts
This may seem kind of dumb, but you did not turn off the fuel shut off, did you? Have you verified that it is turned back on? Sometimes it is easy to overlook the easy stuff.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I checked that valve like a dozen times... about the same amount of times I checked the kill switch and that the key was on... It is definately not one of those 3. thumbguy

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Blowing into the tank did it! 3 or 4 deep breaths .. (out not in ;) ) and she fired right up! Thanks for the tips and tricks guys!

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RanchHand @ Feb 8 2007, 10:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
1997 Powder Extreme with a ZRT600 in it.

I rejetted for colder temps (390) and put everything back together, and now it won't start, I realize that the carb bowls are empty, and it usually takes like 20 or so pulls to fill them and get it going, but I pull on that beast for 35 minutes straight last night.

Anything I should check? Compression is 110 - 112 across. Spark seems good - i pulled them out grounded it and pulled the cords, I observed each plug sparking.

When I had the carbs out I observed a little bit of frozen slush just inisde the air intake side, but I wiped it away and felt in the air box for more... nothing there.

I drove it into the garage, it was running great.

Any help is appreciated.[/b]
My solution is this;
Pull all plugs. Add a tablespoon of gasoline into each cylinder. Replace the plugs/wires. All switchs on. Pull the rope. It'll start right up but may soon stumble so be prepared to feather the throttle until the fuel pump can fill the bowls at which time it should run as before the rejet.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
176 Posts
I pull it over with the plugs removed till the carbs fill up so I'm not busting my azz working against the compression. When carbs are filled install plugs and fire away.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts