Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
end of the year i plan on going out to western South Dakota and riding. i no i need to re-gear for the 5-8,000 ft. right now im at 0-3,000 ft. what is the best clutch components to get for that altitude. i will be doing both on and off trail riding more off then on trail tho.Rockerdude

·
Premium Member
2,954 Posts
You don't need to re-gear... just put new weights & throw in a 36 helix.

Honestly, the recommended clutching that's on the sled is pretty good. Unless you want to tune to get the last 3% from your setup, I'd just run what they suggest. If anything, go 1-2 oz heavier than that setup.

I sell gears, have something to gain from you buying them... and will STILL talk you out of re-gearing ;)

If you foresee going back & forth a decent amount, perhaps consider getting adjustable weights so that you can get dialed in quickly, and go from place to place without swapping them out... just do a quick 5 min MAX set screw change.

If you go adjustables, I HIGHLY recommend getting the hooper designed weights... Hooper, Dalton & Cutler all sell them, and they're the easiest ones to change in the field, real simple. I've run a few others, currently running MDS, and though the MDS have a great profile, if I had to change them often, I wouldn't run them.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I'm in the Black Hills with stock gears and stock clutching. The 36* helix is for 6,000+ but I bought mine with it installed with the primary weights for altitude. It runs fine. I just installed a 144" track and it's still a great setup. I have a Formula X-1 kit and I plan to install that after I try the stock 44-40 helix. You should be just find riding out here with a simple change in primary weights. Most of the riding here is 4,000-6,000 feet

1 - 4 of 4 Posts