Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just bought a 1998 Bearcat 454. Previous owner said it sat for awhile, would start but died under throttle. I put in a new battery, cleaned the carb, and replaced the split open intake boot. Drained gas tank and put fresh gas in.

It started right up and drove great. After ~5 minutes it shut off and was smoking. I shut it off and disconnect the battery neg cable.

The smoke is coming from the regulator/rectifier, I think that's what is. The thing that looks like a heat sink. I confirmed by reconnecting the battery and turning the key on, and getting underneath to lay eyes on it. No power to anything, but the reg/rec was definitely smoking after a few minutes.

Should I go ahead and replace this part? Is there a main fuse somewhere that I can't find, that I should replace?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I found the 30 amp fuse on the starter solenoid, it's not blown. Also the main ground wire appears to be in good shape from the battery to the main ground on the engine case.

I guess I'll just replace the reg/rec and see what happens. If it still won't start I'll try jumping the terminals on the starter solenoid to see if that's the issue.

·
Registered
8,630 Posts
Just make sure there's no burnt wires leading up to it and out of it. Check the plugs too. Could be R/R got moisture in it and shorted out. There's nothing extra on the quad that could draw too much power is there?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Wired the new rec/reg in, with a new connecter on the chassis side. Gauge backlight and rear lights come on with the key, but pressing the starter button does nothing. When I bridge the posts on the starter solenoid I get sparks spraying but nothing from the starter.

What else would this be, aside from a bad starter? Or is it safe to assume the starter got damaged somehow?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll just keep posting, in case this helps someone in the future.

I have 12.3 volts on battery, and at the hot side of the starter solenoid. With key on and starter button pressed, no volts on the other side of the starter solenoid. So either the starter switch went bad, or the solenoid went bad.

Somehow, because of either a bad rec/reg, or because of how I installed the new one. Because it cranked fine before. Doesn't make sense to me at all, but I don't understand electronics very well.

·
Administrator
35,627 Posts
Your battery is low

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You think that would keep any voltage from showing up on the solenoid when the starter button is pressed?

·
Administrator
35,627 Posts
Charge your battery fully and have it load tested to be sure.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The new battery is fine. After 6 hours of trying different things, and getting it to run then die, we found that the engine kill switch was nasty inside and faulty.

It's still not running consistently, so there might be a secondary problem. I cleaned up the kill switch and it was running great yesterday, but today the starter will crank (kill switch working) but won't start, so I'll poke around some more. Previous owner said he replaced the neutral switch, with what looks like a used part, so I'm wondering if it's faulty.

I hate diagnosing electrical issues.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How can I bypass the cutoff switch? There are 3 wires: yellow with green stripe, orange with white stripe, and solid orange. The orange and orange/white go to the cutoff switch slider. The yellow goes to one side of the starter switch. There is another orange/white going from the cutoff switch slider to the other side of the starter switch.

I'd really like to bypass it to narrow down the problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I guess it's not the kill switch, or it's something else in addition to the kill switch. I cut the wires of the kill switch and hard wired them together. Lights and fan come on with key, but now the starter won't even turn. Battery currently reading 12.3 volts.

I also jumped the contacts for the brake light switch. And jumped the contacts on the neutral switch.

Then jumped the contacts on the starter solenoid, starter cranked, but it didn't fire up.

What else cuts spark?

·
Administrator
35,627 Posts
You will never diagnose effectively with a battery that is barely 70%

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Logistically this is very difficult because it is currently in the middle of woods inaccessible to a vehicle for towing it home. I have to take the battery with me and charge it at home then take it back out to the ATV, then ever cranking it, it gets low. It didn't start at 12.3 on Saturday, that's what I left it at, after cranking a lot by jumping the starter solenoid.

So please humor me a bit. Let's say hypothetically after I take the battery back out there in a day or 2, and it's still not sparking, what should I check next?

·
Administrator
35,627 Posts
Plug , plug wire, plug cap, all electrical connections, check ignition switch for continuity.
Check for bare or rubbed wires from fuse box all the way up to the display.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Just for future reference... if it was the kill switch the engine would not crank.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts