Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok all you turbo riders. try this. after a moderate run [mine was 60 mph in 8 inches fresh snow for 10 miles or so] at night,.. open your hood and inspect the exhaust manifold. mine was cherry red! I mean molten red!! the whole exhaust manifold!! the turbo was not glowing though. has anyone else seen this? performance was still good, ive since put on a couple hundred miles with no problems, but have not rode at night to see if its still like that. upon inspection during the day the manifold looks perfect. I dont know if this things ready to fry or if the cast iron is so thin that it glows red at night?????????

·
Registered
183 Posts
I don't know about glowing red but I did some radar runs with my 05 ST today and let me tell you that exaust was pretty hot. Oh ya it ran pretty good, best run was 103 on the gun most were 101-102

·
Registered
65 Posts
Last night my sled's manifold was glowing red hot exactly how you described it. My buddies could see it glowing through the vents in the hood while we were riding. The hood was not burnt at all but damn that manifold didn't look right! I don't know what to do about it, bring it in or just keep riding till something happens, hopefully its covered by warranty.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Welcome to the world of turbos. alot of restriction in a turbo, that's what makes the manifold turn red when loading it hard. Usually the turbo will be fine the exhaust impeller is made of Inconel. You may warp a manifold, have not heard of one yet. Gota backer down a little every once and awile when running the powder. We run dyno engines 24/7 with the manifiolds brite red. I'll have to post a pic. An 8.1 Chevy running 3600 rpms at 3/4 throttle all day and night. Let er eat

·
Registered
65 Posts
I was running on a lake, there was lots of snow cooling the tunnel and it was -25 so should'nt the wind of kept the manifold cool? I was cruising around 65-80 for 15 minutes and it was bright red half way through the ride. I guess this may be normal because they have turbos but my buddies all thought it was bad news haha.
Thanks.

·
Registered
339 Posts
just because its a turbo. The ammount of heat and pressure behind that turbo will make it glow. And yes, its exactly what happens on the big turbo diesel pickups, especially the modded ones.

·
Registered
27 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Turbomania @ Feb 12 2007, 12:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Welcome to the world of turbos. alot of restriction in a turbo, that's what makes the manifold turn red when loading it hard. Usually the turbo will be fine the exhaust impeller is made of Inconel. You may warp a manifold, have not heard of one yet. Gota backer down a little every once and awile when running the powder. We run dyno engines 24/7 with the manifiolds brite red. I'll have to post a pic. An 8.1 Chevy running 3600 rpms at 3/4 throttle all day and night. Let er eat[/b]

·
Registered
10 Posts
My manifold is always red hot as well. I currently have 12,000 miles and did not notice it until a few weeks ago when I blew a fuse. Now i look all the time and it is always glowing. Sled seems to be running fine.

I had a turbo hose go early in the sled life and assumed the red hot had something to do with that. I am glad you guys confirmed this is normal.

An aside though.

Mine overheats easily on roads and hard packed trails. Anybody else have this problem??
I installed "scratchers" and my problem has been solved.

I also just had the valves done (another thread). I am guessing I should have this done more frequently? I don't think my dealer had a clue about this ... And I am clueless to most of this stuff.

Thanks for any replies.

·
Premium Member
2,678 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RICHY1010 @ Mar 1 2007, 01:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
My manifold is always red hot as well. I currently have 12,000 miles and did not notice it until a few weeks ago when I blew a fuse. Now i look all the time and it is always glowing. Sled seems to be running fine.

I had a turbo hose go early in the sled life and assumed the red hot had something to do with that. I am glad you guys confirmed this is normal.

An aside though.

Mine overheats easily on roads and hard packed trails. Anybody else have this problem??
I installed "scratchers" and my problem has been solved.

I also just had the valves done (another thread). I am guessing I should have this done more frequently? I don't think my dealer had a clue about this ... And I am clueless to most of this stuff.

Thanks for any replies.[/b]
Mine does the same thing. If you start on a real cold morning and the trails are hard the thing will over heat with in minutes. What are these "scratchers" you speak of?

K

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think you can find them at Royal Distributing (hate the store). They are a metal bar that drags in the snow and ice to scratch the surface and create a spray on the sliders ( obviously won't work on bare roads).

They work perfect. When the overheat light comes on ( or I think I will be on hard pack for a stretch) I put them down and the problem is solved within 5 seconds.

They easily bolt on the under side of your foot boards ( or what ever that is called ) and stay in place until you need them.

I think they are a must for T660 owners. Mine is an 04 T660 turbo.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts