Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm having trouble with the recoil on my 1999 zr 700. it starts the sled fine but when i pull it it doesnt wind back in untill i give it some throttle. normally if i take off slow it will wind about half way back in and then once i get on it a little bit it will pull the rest of the way back in. before i take it apart does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? any suggestions are appreciated. thanks

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
Could be the spring is fatigued or maybe even broken, might also be the center bolt is bent or broken...............best to pull off for inspection / repair now before a loose part works it's way into the stator and causes you real headaches

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok thanks. at least now i have an idea of what to look for. im not sure why it would be the spring though because the sled only has 1600 miles on it. ill have to see when i get it apart

·
Registered
93 Posts
once you figure out how to take it apart, its really easy. If your spring comes out, a good way to do it is wrap it in your hand, put a small zip tie around it... place it back into the recoil and then cut the zip tie:)

·
Registered
950 Posts
That's a good trick for the recoil spring.....or if you have a buddy around, another set of hands is needed....

·
Registered
515 Posts
could be a bushing thats worn out (not sure on ur machine) where the cord comes through the plastic, or there could be a slot worn in the plastic piece depending on which angle you usually pull the ripcord, this could cause the rope to catch and not retract.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hey thanks for all the replies. lots of good tips and tricks in here. i'm going to try to take it apart tonight if i have time otherwise maybe tomorrow so ill let you know what i find when i get it apart.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Pretty solid thread ACMAT. Very out of the box way to think.

SPDFREEK

·
Registered
238 Posts
Mine did the same thing as what yours is doing about a week ago, even though you dont have alot of miles on the sled it still is old,, we took mine off and found out it was dirt and grime that was messing it up, just a build up of Im guessing exhaust residue and stuff cause it to stick slightly , you shouldn't need to fully disassemble it just remove it from the engine and wipe it all down and it should work fine again, like I said it was just a build up on mine that was causing my problems.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts