Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any tricks to taking the plugs out to get tho the two jets? I got one out but the other one is wedged in there pretty tight. Any tips or tricks? special techniques? any and all help appreciated.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Actually the one over the jet came out easy, Manuals say that cleaning isnt usually needed under the plugs but this carb came with plenty of rust in it so im cleaning everything out. It had been rebuilt and put on a sachs that doesnt run so it got parked, with a 45 degree intake pointing straight up, so water was funneled right into it. what will remove the rust and gunk stuck on the inside of the carb around choke/throttle butterflys?

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
take the choke and throttle plates out and then use scotch brite and/or 400 w/d sand paper. be creative, use what ever works.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I haven't a clue how the crank is. It was under a cover and shouldnt have gotten much water into it but enough to leave a pile of rust n junk in it. its an old sachs 1 cylinder out of a 6x6... the engine turned over nicely and electric start still works but no spark, probably no compression. might be a good canidate for rebuild if I ever wanted to. still dont know how to get the plug out... i might try to drill a bit but i dont really want to wreck the plug.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I might stop into the engine shop and see what they have laying around. they do mostly lawn mowers and stuff so they might have some or they might not. Otherwise Ill reuse what i got, shouldnt hurt as long as they seal properly.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got the other plug out, had to drill a little, and im glad i took it out because there was a ton of junk in there that would have had it screwed up otherwise. Started to put it back together, got everything in except the one plug, going to need a new one, and i might need a new spring for the needle lever as it doesnt look the best.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im not for sure but my logic tells me that the open chamber is on the right when needle and seat are at top, it would be the one under the throttle buttefly.

·
Registered
480 Posts
If you mess with carbs at all, the only way to get them good and clean is to get yourself a can of carb cleaner. By that I mean the gallon can that will come with a basket. Just make sure all the seals and gaskets are off first cause that stuff will eat them up along with all the varnish and crud that builds up in the carb. If you rarely mess with them you can get by with the aerosol stuff, but that won't clean near as good as the dip tank stuff does.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The carb is good and clean now, just need a new plug before I can re assemble it and a new spring probably. I rarely have to clean carbs outside of regular maintanance, this was just one exception i guess.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts