Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the wife a 1995 Jag with a 2-up seat so she and the Hurricane (4-year-old daughter) can come riding with me, if we ever get any snow..... Anyway, here's my deal- I picked up an M-10 off eBay for my '96 ZRT, so I won't be needing the stock skid. The Jag is in very good shape, but has hydraulic (junky) shocks. I am wondering if I will have any problems with taking the Fox Shocks out of the skid from my ZRT and putting them into the Jag skid. They look to be the same, but if it won't work I don't want to pull the skid out of the Jag. So if anyone can verify for sure, it would really be great! The Jag is not a touring/longtrack, it has a 121" track and the 2-up seat was added aftermarket, along with a heavier spring. I also bought a 4-sided billet adjuster block to get a little more preload to help with the extra weight, I just thought the Fox shocks might be a nice touch for her. Once I get the rear done, it will be time to start playing with gearing, I think. I haven't ridden the Jag yet, but if the 440 fan is anything like my old Indy Trail 488 fan, it's gonna need a little help. If anyone has any gearing and/or clutching thoughts, feel free to share.....
Thanks-
Greg

Check out the ZRT, awaiting it's skid transplant!
[attachment=58972:000_0592_1.jpg]

Attachments

·
Registered
473 Posts
You may want to simply try and put the zrt skid underneath the jag. To figure anything out you're going to have to remove that jag skid anyways, so its easy to give it a try - might just bolt right in there and you'd be good to go.

If that doesn't work try and find (or measure) the center to center distances on the shocks. Hopefully you could find em, because unfortunately to accurately measure you've gotta remove the shocks from the skid, and if you did that you could simply compare the jag shocks to the zrt shocks.

Also, find out which skid has stiffer torsion springs - if there is going to be 2 people on it most of the time, you want those things as stiff as you can get em.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would just striaght-up swap skids, but hers in much better overall shape than mine. Ah, the fun of buying used! I did get a PM from hugh saying that the shock-swap will work, but may need to revalve. I'll have to see how it rides before I decide to do that or not. The shocks (allegedly) only have about 400 miles since rebuild, so I don't want to revalve if I don't have to, yet. The ZRT spring is quite a bit stiffer than the Jag, even the bigger diameter spring that's under there now. So I htink I'll go that way, I have a new set of springs coming for the ZRT that I ended up winning on eBay before I knew the M-10 was coming. I wish the M-10 would get here, I only have enough room in the garage to hang 1 sled at a time so I can't pull the skid on the Jag til I get the M-10 in the ZRT. I need a pole barn........
Thanks for the help-
Greg

·
Registered
473 Posts
Yea....garage space can be tough. My brothers and I shoved 3 sleds into a garage that should really only hold one, not to mention 2 skids were out and parts all over the place; you couldn't walk more than 3 feet without having to hop over a sled. Good times though.....now we just need SNOW!!!!

Glad to hear you got it figured out. I would agree with testing out those shocks before revalving, especially if they are fresh. Happy Trails

1 - 4 of 4 Posts