Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 97 Powder Extreme, 136" ETT. What can I do to upgrade my rear suspension? I'm upgrading my front with the AGLT mod.

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
For the rear you could upgrade to the ACT shocks. I bought a set off of E-bay really reasonable from a 2002 ZR800. Then I put in heavier springs. Takes bumps really good. My AGLT mod has the 02' ZR ACT front shocks and a 5/8" swaybar.

Attachments

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You Rear skid looks alot different than mine, I will be doing shocks, is it worth it to try and find a new(er) 136 skid for my sled?

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
I just went to Brown's Leisure. I see you still have the old style of rails. I think it would be a good investment to upgrade to the stronger skid. You're sled does not have the Torque Sensing Link also(TSL). Maybe you could get lucky and pickup a Crossfire (136) rear skid. Try www.catbargains.com . This is there E-bay store.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply, I'll check out the store, how hard would it be to put something like that in?

Just checked, they don't have any 136 skid... I'll have to do a little searching... you said it came out of a CF?

·
Registered
101 Posts
I am going to watch this thread close.
I have a 97 Extreme as well and would like to get the back end a little deeper in the soft stuff...
I am more interested in the TSL more than anything though.
Is it a direct bolt up if I locate parts?
Sorry for the question. Not looking to steal your thread.

·
Registered
90 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RanchHand @ Jan 15 2007, 10:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Thanks for the reply, I'll check out the store, how hard would it be to put something like that in?

Just checked, they don't have any 136 skid... I'll have to do a little searching... you said it came out of a CF?[/b]
Set yourself up an ebay saved search to email you daily. There are complete rear suspensions up for auction all of the time. I bet you can find a deal in this El Nino winter we are having.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No problem... I'm curious if anybody knows if I can't locate a 136, what about a 144? Could I install that?

What about installing a 121 and putting rail extensions on to get back to 136?

Thanks Slick for the help so far...

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
That could work. Was looking up suspension parts and cross referencing from 121" to 136" and many parts are the same. All that is really different is the rails( longer at rear ). I would try to stick with the 99' and newer skid be cause they have stronger rails. Better for extensions. I'm sure the 136 guys will pipe up here and explain the difference clearer than I can.

·
Premium Member
3,397 Posts
i'm a little slow sometimes. to upgrade to a better suspension on aa pre 99 sled just install a newer rear skid. how about to upgrade a 2000 tcat? what would be the rear upgrade?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Triplextreme @ Jan 15 2007, 10:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I have a 97 Extreme as well and would like to get the back end a little deeper in the soft stuff...
Sorry for the question. Not looking to steal your thread.[/b]

Hey TripleExtreme... what's the benifit of the TSL?

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RanchHand @ Jan 16 2007, 09:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Triplextreme @ Jan 15 2007, 10:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry for the question. Not looking to steal your thread.[/b]

Hey TripleExtreme... what's the benifit of the TSL?
[/b][/quote]

The intent of the TSL, Torque Sensing Link, is to maintain track tension when torque is applied to the track. When torque is applied to the track, under accerlation, the suspension squats, or compresses, and the suspension geometry tend to result in reduced track tension as the suspension compresses. The offset nature of the TSL uses the torque applied to the track to counter the compression of the suspension and maintain a more consistant track tension over the full travel of the suspension. The benefit of that is it permits you to run a looser overall track tension, which reduces rolling resitance.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Thanks for the explaination 94ZR580. You slpained it better than I could have.
The other reason I am looking at it is to try and get the tunnel to sit a couple inches higher to clear the deep powder.
I have been toying with the idea of going to a 141/144x2" but can't find anyone with the experience of doing it previously.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah it doesn't seem like anybody has a lot of experiance with replacing the 136 skid... I think I'm going to look for a good 121 then add extensions to get back to the 136 length ...

And thanks 94zr580... you made it pretty clear for me.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Soooo Looking for a replacement skid, is one better than another? I ride pretty hard, but stick mostly to trails or powder, I don't jump much, I might float over an approach every now and then though...

i like the back of the seat to be a bit higher than the front as well.

What should I be looking for?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts