Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, we have two '99 ZL500s that we bought new. They have been sitting in a enclosed trailer for 6 yrs. and I am trying to resurrect them. The problem is that on one of them the rear suspension can be compressed with about 10 lbs. of force and then it does not rebound. If it is pulled back up it stays up.

Any ideas on why one sled works as new (even with twice the miles on it) and the other one squats?

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
8,589 Posts
From the sounds of it the shocks are toast, It could be that whatever they are filled with has passed the seals. What kind of shock are they?? As for the other sled it could be a case of tighter seals/tolerances or it could be a case of them going bad at any time. You stated stored for several years in a trailer was there a chance of high heat in there???

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dadszr, thanks for the reply...
the shocks are stock, originals (ryde FX) and yes, definitely exposed to high heat. They have been sitting in a enclosed snowmobile trailer in the direct sun for 6 yrs.

·
Premium Member
8,589 Posts
With them being stock (throw a ways) Ryde FX I would say that the tolerance of the seal left the fluid and/or gas cross which in return allows you to bottom out the suspension with very little ease, This is only my 2 pennies but since they are non-rebuild-able I would replace them all with shocks that are rebuild-able, I would do both sleds if its possible the other sled could last a few years or could be dead by next winter. While apart it would be a good time to check all the bearings as well.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I know the feeling of a sled with shocks that don't work. Went for a ride today and I think one of my shocks is toast, rear end squats right down with a little pressure and doesnt rebound at all. I just had them all rebuilt the summer of 2011, I'm lucky if I have 600 miles on them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
crash74, I didn't even get to ride. After a couple days of work and
1 1/2 weeks waiting for parts I took it outside, started it up and as soon as the cultch started to engage the back end dropped and stayed there. Just shut it down and put it back inside.I dunno

Any recomendations on what type of shocks to get would be really appreciated. I don't know very much about sleds. We are trying to get these in decsent shape to sell.

Thanks, oldfart

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, MikeR. There is so much information on shocks it's kind of overwhelming. It seems fox is a favorite but I can't find one that fits and we don't want to spend too much just to sell them.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I just looked in the kirk book and they do not carry ryde fx. Hi performance does, but they are spendy. I think I would just pick up a kimpex for the back. the part number is 10-236 and it runs 77 dollars. If you needd the front rear shock it is number 10-776 and it runs 87. the kimpex are from kirk.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Compressing the rear suspension that easy has nothing to do with the shocks. The springs do that work. Is the rear of the sled sitting flat on the floor and not on something. If it is it takes very little to compress it. Make sure it is flat. Ryde FX shocks are very durable. I have 6500 miles on mine and they are still like new.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Compressing the rear skid that easy DOES have to do with the shocks...and the springs. Springs allow it to rebound once It's compressed, the shocks control how fast it compresses and rebounds.

If the shocks were good it wouldn't be that easy to compress or rebound. What I was sayin with mine is that I can grab the rear bumper and with very little effort I can completely compress the skid and rebound it fully like I'm bouncin a basketball....
My shocks are toast.

Not sure if you were referring to me or oldfart...either way I see mike chimed in and did the leg work for where you can get new shocks for a good price.

Reactions: dadszr

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mike R, thanks for the info and the part#s.

bebaanguy, yes the sled is level, thanks for the input . Can a spring sag when it is not being used?

Crash 74, does a new shock rebound, or when it's compressed will it stay that way?

Thanks agian guys, really appreciate your help!!Not worthy:

·
Registered
607 Posts
I will be VERY surprised if new shocks solve your problem. My bet would be the springs are shot along with a bunch of bushings being sticky. No doubt the skid needs to come out and be looked over.
Sometimes the ski springs are set way to stiff over centering the center shock and leaving too much weight on the rear springs. I have seen this many times.

·
Registered
566 Posts
A new shock should only move when It's forced to, if you compress it it will stay that way. That's what the springs are for. The shock is to control how fast it compresses and how fast it rebounds, my shocks weren't setup correctly for the way I ride, I will have mine revalved stiffer this time and I'm putting in a set of springs that belong to an 01 440 sno pro, they are new, square(instead of round) so that should resolve my spring issue since the 02 zr's are famous for having soft springs and I'm a big dude that rides very aggressively.

If it can be jumped....I'm going to try to...Rockerdude

·
5,963 Posts
buy some used Fox's and get them rebuilt. I got all four of my shocks rebuilt for 120 bucks a few years back. I know for a fact that the guy that rebuilds my shocks ACT's are always more expensive to get rebuilt.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I don't think sinkin money into used shocks and rebuilding them is worth it since he is looking to sell them.

·
5,963 Posts
Thai is surprizing pelle. act and fox use the same rebuild kit.
When My dad got his ACT's rebuilt this past summer he paid More. He might have had a bent shaft in one or a frayed SS Braided Line (not Cheap) But when he went to see about his Crosslink he asked and he said that Most of the time ACT will be more expensive.

I don't think sinkin money into used shocks and rebuilding them is worth it since he is looking to sell them.
If he is going to keep the sled, Its worth it. He never said he was going to sell them unless I missed it(probably did :lol:) Kimpex and all the other non-rebuilds are just not worth it IMO because one size does not fit all

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Pelle, he might want to look for another shock guy. Somebody is taking advantage of him.
ACT [cat branded fox shock] and Fox are the same shock with a different name on it.

A gas filled shock will have natural rebound, an oil filled will have no rebound but both will have resistance both ways.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts