Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be changing my rear springs on my 99 ZR 440 Sno-Pro this weekend. When I reattached the "sprung" spring two weekends ago, I used an odd combination of box wrenches, screwdrivers, and a pry bar to get the job done... not an ideal situation. I was considering fabricating a tool that would saddle around the beam near the spring mount and pivot the spring end into position on the adjuster blocks. Any ideas/suggestions? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Cats tool is like a plate with a slot in it that the spring goes in. Welded to that is an extension with a big Tee handle for leverage it has enough to put the short end on the adjuster. If you can get your track off the ground 5-6 inches or tipped on the side. Put the short end on. Get a piece of 3/4 pipe at least 2 ft long or use your pry bar duct tape 3-4 inches to keep from scratching the sliderail. Put the pipe right on the rail and pry the spring long end with the mount right up to the perch. Only takes one hand the more you move it the easier it gets. Once its on there only need slight inward pressure with hand to hold it thereno more prying

·
Premium Member
4,640 Posts
There is an easier way. Cut the top off your spring slider blocks so you have a "snap in" fit. Then you can just install the spring by hand without any tools. You don't have to worry about your spring coming out of the slider.

·
Premium Member
5,566 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jeff H @ Feb 7 2007, 03:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
There is an easier way. Cut the top off your spring slider blocks so you have a "snap in" fit. Then you can just install the spring by hand without any tools. You don't have to worry about your spring coming out of the slider.[/b]
yup 2minutes to cut and you are all set

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The new spring sliders arrived today and strangely enough, the spring slide holes are square not round as in the originals. Is this a problem? I'm a bit puzzled. If this is okay, should I still carve the tops off of the square holes? Thanks for all of the great info.

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sysanalyst @ Feb 7 2007, 05:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The new spring sliders arrived today and strangely enough, the spring slide holes are square not round as in the originals. Is this a problem? I'm a bit puzzled. If this is okay, should I still carve the tops off of the square holes? Thanks for all of the great info.[/b]

Will work just fine
Yes cut the tops outta them..............makes springs a snap to install.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zr sled head @ Feb 7 2007, 06:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sysanalyst @ Feb 7 2007, 05:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The new spring sliders arrived today and strangely enough, the spring slide holes are square not round as in the originals. Is this a problem? I'm a bit puzzled. If this is okay, should I still carve the tops off of the square holes? Thanks for all of the great info.[/b]

Will work just fine
Yes cut the tops outta them..............makes springs a snap to install.
[/b][/quote]

Thank you! I will be able to sleep easier tonight... Come on Friday, get here already...

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jeff H @ Feb 7 2007, 03:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
There is an easier way. Cut the top off your spring slider blocks so you have a "snap in" fit. Then you can just install the spring by hand without any tools. You don't have to worry about your spring coming out of the slider.[/b]
The 97 Powder Extreme slider blocks have an open top from the factory. I'm sure they can be bought at the dealer. I didn't know about the design of these blocks until I bought my son a 97 Powder Extreme last month. And as you say, you can change the springs out in a hurry or adjust your blocks. Just thought I'd pass this little tidbit I learned with all of you. :beer_cheers:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts