Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the a/c rear spring chart has several springs of the same wire diamater, the short end that goes into the block has several different degree angles.
is this spec for different ride heights or preloading the spring? what effect does the different degrees have on the springs action through it's travel?

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
I'm guessing you are talking about the trianglular adjusting block for the rear springs, causing the different angles of the springs?? If so then that adjuts the spring preload (ride stiffness). Starting on the thinnest side of the triangle for the softer ride then moving up from there. Just a note when adjusting its not a good idea to go all the way around, going from stiffest to softest in one turn without going to the med. setting.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (3holercat @ Jan 18 2007, 10:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
the a/c rear spring chart has several springs of the same wire diamater, the short end that goes into the block has several different degree angles.
is this spec for different ride heights or preloading the spring? what effect does the different degrees have on the springs action through it's travel?[/b]
The spring angle has a huge effect on the pre-load of the spring.
Example: the 2002 ZR800cce had 90 degree springs. After only a slight break-in this springs lacked the guts to return the sled to the top of the suspension, even without the load of a rider. Switching to a smaller angle (80 or 75) provided the pre-load needed to re-gain use of the full travel of the rear suspension. Even increasing the wire size (stiffer) could not produce the beneficial effect of the reduced angle. I personally needed Super Big Boy springs so went to a 83 degree spring with .460" wire diameter.
My sled rides beautifully for my 290# but a 50 pound lighter rider discribed it as "like riding a dump truck". LOL

1 - 3 of 3 Posts