Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Soryy for this one here. Wife has a '97 Honda 4x4 300, when I check the rearend fluid it is always brown and seems muddy but not realy over filled. I have changed it a couple 3 or 4 times and after a ride it's the same. It is not leaking anywhere. We have only had it about 8 months and the oil was real dirty and watery when we got it. I am not sure if I am getting all of the old oil out each time, maybe it's just residue. Any ideas would be great.

Rockerdude

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
not sure about the honda's how they are set up but on my ac when i drain the diff and it is empty i usually add some when the drain plug (bolt) is still out to flush out any extra that i can. when watery mine usually is milky, a tad whiteish.

as far as leaks i would check the vent hose doesn't have any cracks and it's on nice and tight with the clamp, if you have room add a small zip tie along with the clamp.

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (VT ArcticCat @ Jan 7 2007, 09:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Soryy for this one here. Wife has a '97 Honda 4x4 300, when I check the rearend fluid it is always brown and seems muddy but not realy over filled. I have changed it a couple 3 or 4 times and after a ride it's the same. It is not leaking anywhere. We have only had it about 8 months and the oil was real dirty and watery when we got it. I am not sure if I am getting all of the old oil out each time, maybe it's just residue. Any ideas would be great.

Rockerdude[/b]
When you take it out for a ride, are you riding through water? If not, You're not getting water into the rear end. It sounds like you may be flushing out residual rust caused by the water that was in the rear end when you bought it. If you are running the machine through water, do a fluid change and take it for a good long ride without going through water. Do an inspection for possible fluid leaks, drain the fluid into a clear container to identify what is making it muddy. When you say muddy, are you talking grit/water /oil emulsion or just discolored fluid? If the fluid is discolored, what color is it? Is there a possibility that the previous owner may have filled the rear end with grease instead of fluid?

Need more info on what's coming out of the rear end. Let us know.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The fluid is miky brown not whiteish. It could be from rust . I'll check it again. I just did a visual on the vent when I checked it I'll go back and look @ it again. Most rides include water and mud crossings but are not over the foot pegs usualy. Does any one know if there is a drain plug? I have been using the large fill, check plug to do changes. I pull the plug and stand the bike on end to drain. I can't tell if there is a drain plug since I can't pull the skid plate off.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
there should i would think be a hole in the skid plate with a bolt for the drain or more than likely it is on the left side when looking at the back, one of the little bolts on the bottom left side.
number 17 i am thinking

Attachments

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Damm, thats good ! I'll check the next time I do a fluid change.

Thanks

Cat happy

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (VT ArcticCat @ Jan 7 2007, 10:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The fluid is miky brown not whiteish. It could be from rust . I'll check it again. I just did a visual on the vent when I checked it I'll go back and look @ it again. Most rides include water and mud crossings but are not over the foot pegs usualy. Does any one know if there is a drain plug? I have been using the large fill, check plug to do changes. I pull the plug and stand the bike on end to drain. I can't tell if there is a drain plug since I can't pull the skid plate off.[/b]
The next time you change the fluid, drain it into a small bottle or jar and let it sit for a few days to let it settle. Over time, the water will separate from the oil if it has water in it. If it's rust and dirt, that will also settle to the bottom in time. Inspect the residue to see what it is. If it's water, you have a leak. If it's rust, you can either run the gears as they are to see how long they last or replace them. I'd just run them as is. Just make sure you have a tow home if the rear end blows.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts