Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 03 artic cat 400 2wd i just put new axles in it an was going to replace rear diff oil. What kind of rear diff oil goes in it.

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
I have an 03 artic cat 400 2wd i just put new axles in it an was going to replace rear diff oil. What kind of rear diff oil goes in it.
80W/90 -
8.5oz

·
Registered
10,578 Posts
Yep. I personally use synthetic but I’m up north in the cold and use mine for plowing snow.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I think about ANY good basic DIf fluid is more than fine, these ATV's just DON"T ever make enough heat to do any damage or break down worries
the bigger issue is simply you want things filled to correct levels and be CLEAN fluid in the dif's
I personally run Amsoil gear oil, many water mud guys I know use there marine grade gear oil thinking it works better when water gets in , or some fill with just plain grease and not fluid at all?
but again, main concern is keeping clean fluid in there , more so IMO< that want name brand gear oil!
pick a weight rage based on temps in your area and all is good IMO

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys for the info really appreciate it alot. Im down south mostly mud an dust an creeks here an it never gets below zero in temp. But does get up to 105 degrees in the summer

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
if you plan to ride in water, make sure you have all the vent lines UP high, and working right!
as well, as consider a snorkel, can save a lot of damages doing these things!
as remember atv 's are NOT boats,a ft of water is over many OEM's designs for things!

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Probably the best gear oil for these is Redline 75W90
HAHA< and what makes it the best??
everyone likes"X" brand of oil, but being honest any good clean oil is just as good here, NO atv is making heat and friction at levels, you need HIGH end protection from specialized oils!
oil debates are just known to cause long drawn out debates on Why mine is better than your brand where no one ever wins or proves anything LOL
any good gear oil of proper weight and that is filled correctly and changed as needed, is all any ATV needs! use what makes you happy!

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
You should get yourself a service manual. All the specified fluids are in there... good luck.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks guys for the info really appreciate it alot. Im down south mostly mud an dust an creeks here an it never gets below zero in temp. But does get up to 105 degrees in the summer
Wow - 105 degrees ! Thats awful heat.

Im suffering thru 83 degree heat here in Ontario. Give me the cooler weather back. Thank god for being a Canadian

·
Registered
105 Posts
HAHA< and what makes it the best??
everyone likes"X" brand of oil, but being honest any good clean oil is just as good here, NO atv is making heat and friction at levels, you need HIGH end protection from specialized oils!
oil debates are just known to cause long drawn out debates on Why mine is better than your brand where no one ever wins or proves anything LOL
any good gear oil of proper weight and that is filled correctly and changed as needed, is all any ATV needs! use what makes you happy!

Redline is a high PAO content oil. Most synthetic oils aren’t really true synthetics but Redline is. Other oils will work fine too but if you are looking for the best, Redline is one of the best oils on the market especially in the gear oil segment of the market. For as little oil these ATVs need in their differentials, it makes sense to use top shelf oil.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
yes but as you said, its ONE of the best oils, NOT proven to be the best, which tends to mean, its open for opinions on what one thinks is best!
and since again, atv's really make NO real heat in the diff's due to well, the slower speed they run at,
I doubt anyone needs the BEST dif oil that can handle the most heat any how
all most only need is correct weight range clean oil filled to correct level!
and anyone that runs water often, should be changing oil OFTEN and inspecting it for water
so, why would one(no bash here) want to be wasting HIGH end diff fluid that is over rated for the application needs!
I mean, nothing wrong with using higher end oils actually do LOL)
but to the average guy, there not needed or honestly worth the costs maybe in an ATV diff!
I do highly recommend them for motor oil, as they do run motors cooler and can help protect on wear and tear from cold start ups, or easier starts in the winter!

as I said, just saying, no bash here

but oil debates get crazy fast when one says , "X" is better than this or something is just the " BEST!"

·
Administrator
37,475 Posts

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Well ok then. Too much oil emotion here
oil treads any where tend to get crazy, so, its NT just here, look about if you wish and you will find this out!

all the more so again, any time the word BEST is used, it opens the door for a lot of Opinions that tend to run wild and some take things persona trying to convince someone else
that THERE opinion or suggestion if better than someone else s!
they never , ever determine what is BEST, either LOL

·
Registered
105 Posts
oil treads any where tend to get crazy, so, its NT just here, look about if you wish and you will find this out!

all the more so again, any time the word BEST is used, it opens the door for a lot of Opinions that tend to run wild and some take things persona trying to convince someone else
that THERE opinion or suggestion if better than someone else s!
they never , ever determine what is BEST, either LOL
The only person getting emotional in this thread is you.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts