Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so i finally got my 96' EXT EFI all back together and running, sort of. I started it up last night for the first time in a year or more. It wouldnt start at first so i thought there might of been air in the fuel line. So i put a little gas down the cylinders and it fired up. Got it reving up and everything, very smokey! Got dark outside so then i came in for the night.

Came home from work this afternoon, went out tryed to start it it wouldnt start again without gas down the cylinders. Got it started up but now it wont rev up. So i shut it down n started looking around. Thats when i noticed i had raw oil dripping out the end of my pipe. So now im thinking my problem is its getting to much oil and just wants to die n it fouls the plugs on cold starts. I took the exhaust pipe off to see how much oil was in there in it came pouring out. Looked down inside the silencer just soaked with oil. Plugs were also soaked.

When i reinstalled the oil cable. I tried to adjust it so that the line on the oil pump lever lined up with the one on the oil pump its self. I got it as close as i could and take away the slack but that left me right at the end of the adjuster. Then I held the throttle wide open to see if the other lines matched and the line that is supposed to line up at WOT is way above where it should be. Is this my problem? should i try adjusting the cable the other way? Should there be any slack in the oil cable?

The 2nd last picture is all the oil that came pouring out the exhaust pipe when i took it off. I remember a few years back when i first got the sled i took the exhaust off to paint it and there was a little bit of oil, not this much tho. Sled was running good then too.

Attachments

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, that's your problem.
It is only supposed to line up the WOT mark and have some slack at idle/rest.
Ok i wasnt sure. So you dont need to line it up the idle/rest line, I thought you had to line them both up as close as possible. I will adjust it to line up with the WOT mark when i get home from work tomarrow and see what its like. Ive noticed with this sled since ive had it it starts in 3 pulls if not something wrong

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
New problem - fuel pump acting up

I came home from work today and got the oil cable adjusted as close as i could without taking everything back apart. The WOT line is almost exact with the line on the oil pump. With that done i went to see if it would start up but nothing. Put little bit of gas down the cylinders. It fired up but would just die after burning the gas i put in. I realized the gas i was pouring down the cylinders was fresh (maybe a few months old) and the gas in the tank is over a year maybe 2 years old! That being said i drained the gas tank went to the gas station and picked up a jerry can of 94 octane. The gas i drained out of the tank was a dark dark yellow sorta brown.

Came home put the new gas in it. Gave it a few pulls, nothing. So i figured there must be still some of that old gas in the fuel rail. put a touch of the new fresh gas down the spark plug holes and she fired right up and kept going. Sounded alot better.

I kept the sled running at idle for about 5 - 10 mins or so them gave it some throttle. Reved up nicely, held the throttle wide open for a moment. But then when i let off it started to bog and would of died if i let off the throttle all the way, It did this for a minute or two but then i got it back down to idle without it dying on me. Im thinking still a little to rich at WOT? Almost fouling the plugs at high rpm?

I tried to start it back up again after it cooled a little. When i turned the key and the fuel pump doesnt sound right. It sound like its building up pressure and will start to make clicking noises. Once the pump sounds like its built up so much pressure it can no longer pump, the ECU starts going off making a rapid clicking sound, and the little red light on the side flashes as quick as the clicking sound. So I removed the return line to see if it was blocked, it was ok, still did it even with the return line off. I removed the sending line, put in into a bottle and turned the key and it pumped fine.

Im thinking the problem now is maybe there was some water in that old gas that was in my tank, might have froze in the fuel rail or injectors possibly? Or the battery is dying and it doesnt have enough power to push the fuel down the rail, but does have enough power to pump without any resistance behind it?

I hope the fuel pump isnt going on it again. Thats the first thing i replaced when i first got it a few years back. Heres a picture of where i got the WOT mark lined up with the oil pump now.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,513 Posts
How long has sled been sitting? If your gas is that old there is a possibility that the idle jets are gummed up.. which means yanking the carbs, removing pilots and mains, and cleaning them..

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How long has sled been sitting? If your gas is that old there is a possibility that the idle jets are gummed up.. which means yanking the carbs, removing pilots and mains, and cleaning them..
Its been sitting for about 2 years. I would have already cleaned the carbs and jets if it had them. This is EFI were talkn.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Low battery and the fuel pump relay with click repeatedly. There was a fuel pump relay service bulletin put out in '95-96 also.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^
What he said!
Battery too low and the relays will just click repeatedly until you either charge up or replace the battery.

·
Registered
1 Posts
How long has sled been sitting? If your gas is that old there is a possibility that the idle jets are gummed up.. which means yanking the carbs, removing
pilots and mains, and cleaning them..
Pull the carbs off a fuel injected sled? Yep, I’ll bet that’s your problem alright. If that doesn’t work, maybe you could check the oil level in the transmission.

·
Registered
10,237 Posts
So to be clear, you joined 23 minutes ago to make a wise crack post on a thread that's 7 years old? AAHHHHH, OK.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts