Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 2007 650 H1 that had 149 miles on it. It had been garage kept and had never seen dirt or mud from the looks of it. It was spotless even in the areas you really just can’t get to, to clean. There is a problem however. The right front tire is wearing at an incredibly excessive rate. I have checked alignment and have done tons of measuring and inspecting looking for frame, a-arm or tie Rod damage and can’t find any. All shocks are in the center position for preload. Any suggestions?

The first picture is the left front tire with perfect tread with even wear. The other three pics are the right front with the excessive and uneven wear.

·
Administrator
39,476 Posts
Does the wheel turn freely when you jack it up?
Are you in two wheel drive ?
Air pressures set correctly ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No problems with the rotation of the tire. Pressures are equal across the front and I’ve tried different pressures to see if that would seem to help. I can clearly feel a rightward pull and the machine corners to the right easier than to the left (probably because of the pull). I just can’t identify why/what is causing the pull.

·
Administrator
39,476 Posts
Measure the C/L distance between the front and rear tires on both sides and see if they are even.

O- - - -?- - - -O

·
Registered
40 Posts
It could be a defective tire, softer rubber than it’s supposed to be, and the notably less tread would definitely make it pull. Swap tires side to side on the front and see if it pulls left. It’s okay if they’re rolling backward, it’s just to see if the pull swaps sides with the tire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Measure the C/L distance between the front and rear tires on both sides and see if they are even.

O- - - -?- - - -O
C/L?
It could be a defective tire, softer rubber than it’s supposed to be, and the notably less tread would definitely make it pull. Swap tires side to side on the front and see if it pulls left. It’s okay if they’re rolling backward, it’s just to see if the pull swaps sides with the tire.

It still had the original tires on it when I got it. It ate that rf tire up so I put these used ones on it. They were all even wear when I put them on. It has worn this one this badly in about 200 miles. That’s on a mixture of loose gravel and pavement.

·
Administrator
39,476 Posts
C/l = center line

Reactions: Paragod

·
Registered
40 Posts
C/L?

It still had the original tires on it when I got it. It ate that rf tire up so I put these used ones on it. They were all even wear when I put them on. It has worn this one this badly in about 200 miles. That’s on a mixture of loose gravel and pavement.
We’re the original tires worn evenly?

·
Administrator
7,958 Posts
Are the handle bars straight when driving? If you take your hands off does it pull to one side vs the other? Toe-in/out isnt that easy to check on these ATV's. I use a 2X2 board with 2 ten inch wires in them spaced according to the front wheel base. Measure the front vs the rear of the front tires. Every quad (7 of them) I bought except 1 needed to be adjusted and all were purchased new. The A-arm bushings go bad on these machines which could cause a pull.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Are the handle bars straight when driving? If you take your hands off does it pull to one side vs the other? Toe-in/out isnt that easy to check on these ATV's. I use a 2X2 board with 2 ten inch wires in them spaced according to the front wheel base. Measure the front vs the rear of the front tires. Every quad (7 of them) I bought except 1 needed to be adjusted and all were purchased new. The A-arm bushings go bad on these machines which could cause a pull.
Handle bars are straight but there was a hard right pull up until a few minutes ago. I rechecked the alignment. It is good, it had been out until a few days ago when I worked on it. What has stopped the pull was swapping sides with the tires as someone had suggested earlier. It now tracks correctly with no pull. Could it be that bad alignment wore the tire into such a pattern that it is going to always pull if it’s left on the right side even though the alignment is now correct?

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
yes a bad alignment can cause a tire to wear faster on one side!
but some other things here could be the issue too

the alignment could have been out since new and the old owner hit something to make it that way and just never cared!
and??
If these are these the original tires since atv was new ??
if so there 15+ yrs old,
and tires have dates on them for a reason, they get old dry and crack and wear funny as they age and get old!

NEXT< how much air are you running in tires
are you driving atv on PAVEMENT
HOW fast are you driving them

is atv in 4x4??

told rubber will war funny, nature of the beast!

too much air or speed on pavement will cause excessive wears will too low of air

I hope it was just a bad alignment issue
but if tires are this old, might be time to replace

and if there a directional tire tread, swapping them to wrong side will or can cause even faster wear of them and less traction !

1 - 13 of 13 Posts