Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that the some holes on the rails were worn out on my 2004 ZR 900 this weekend , Its a good thing the previous owner gave me some new ones. Is it normal for a machine with 1000 miles to have the holes worn out on the rails ?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Only if the cross shafts etc. are not torqued to spec. as they often aren't at time of delivery.
Tracked vehicles require maintenance-manintenance-maintenance. There's no way around it. All bolts must be checked regularily. Otherwise things wear-out or worse, fall apart at speed. bang your head

Your seller must have identified the problem before the sale. Otherwise, why would he pass you those pricey new rails.
A good summer project. Order up a bunch of idler wheel bearings, some new slides, pull the skid and go to town.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MUSKOKA800 @ Mar 14 2007, 08:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Only if the cross shafts etc. are not torqued to spec. as they often aren't at time of delivery.
Tracked vehicles require maintenance-manintenance-maintenance. There's no way around it. All bolts must be checked regularily. Otherwise things wear-out or worse, fall apart at speed. bang your head

Your seller must have identified the problem before the sale. Otherwise, why would he pass you those pricey new rails.
A good summer project. Order up a bunch of idler wheel bearings, some new slides, pull the skid and go to town.[/b]
Slides are new and the idler wheel bearings look good, Theirs only a 1000 miles on the machine. Im going to install the new rails before the weekend because i still plan on doing another 600 to 1000 miles before i call it a day.

·
Registered
492 Posts
One of the reasons I pull and go through my skid each season. I also use new locknuts, washers and add a dab of loctite below the nyloc for safety.

The XC/SP I bought this year had 4 holes egged out. A local racing bike fabricator welded them up good as new. I made a template for teh holes and drilled them on my press. Quick buff and good as new. Actually better.

It is pretty common if they are not checked when new or re-assembled with used hardware or not torqued to spec.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,024 Posts
My 04' 900 had this problem. It's more common when you bang the moguls than people who don't ride hard. Blizzard products makes a rail repair/reinforcing kit just for this. I have it on mine. It works and is a great product. I've had mine on now for about 4k miles so it must work. I noticed on my last ride that another shaft had worked loose and is egging out the holes at the shaft for one of the bogey wheels in the lower suspension side. I'll have to work on that one next.

Steve

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scott S @ Mar 14 2007, 09:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
One of the reasons I pull and go through my skid each season. I also use new locknuts, washers and add a dab of loctite below the nyloc for safety.

The XC/SP I bought this year had 4 holes egged out. A local racing bike fabricator welded them up good as new. I made a template for teh holes and drilled them on my press. Quick buff and good as new. Actually better.

It is pretty common if they are not checked when new or re-assembled with used hardware or not torqued to spec.[/b]
Good point about the nyloc nuts. They're never to be re-used. When doing your summer skid service be sure to order a dozen or so new nuts. They're inexpensive (even from the dealer) and cheap insurance that they'll not loosen mid-ride and cause rail damage. Good policy to occasionally confirm that they're tight through-out the season. 5 minutes every couple weeks could save more time and many $'s later.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts