Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what should I run in my 71 puma with a Kawasaki 340 its got a 34 mm mikuni, and comet duster clutch, all else is stock, when i got the motor it had already been rebuilt(150 psi in both cylinders) and the clutch and carb were already set up, so I don't know details on jets or clutch springs/weights accept they both work great. I'm doing a hill climb in a few weeks, so being fairly new to all the performance/mod stuff, what should i run for gas, I've been running regular, and haven't had issues but would running premium or 103 ll aviation fuel gain me anything?
And with 2 weekends, would you suggest anything else I do to prep? this is my first race, not looking to win, but would like to put on a good show.
It is the pats peak hill climb in NH.

Thanks

·
Registered
508 Posts
I would run premium in it all the time,preferly without alcohol with 150psi cranking pressure. The seals in these old engines were not designed for alcohol,but if thats all you can get at least put premium in her.

·
Premium Member
1,265 Posts
As mentioned above, i run 91-93 non ethanol premium with a cap full to one gal of Klotz Nitro. You still should monitor your plugs for color to keep your jetting correct for the temp. Running any additive is risky so it's totally up to you.

·
Registered
121 Posts
the higher the octane rating the lower the combustion temperature in the cylinders,heat builds power. unless the motor is moded and requires race fuel u will not see any gains ...super should be fine in your aplication....see you there !!!!!

·
Registered
391 Posts
^ well said.

race fuel is not a power adder, it is a supporting "mod" if you will, if your engine dosent need it then it wont help you, even if your engine needs it it dosent add any more power it just allows the engine to run when regular gas dosent hold up to the high pressures in the engine.

·
Premium Member
1,265 Posts
Well everyone has there opinion on power additives, but unless you have dyno'd an engine, like we have you will see gains in power. That is why some race circuits won't allow it, only in modified classes. I realize the OP has a stock motor, but even in a stock motor you will see power gains. That is why i told him "if" he use's any, to monitor the plugs for color.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so basically what I'm seeing is its different for everyone, probably mostly opinion, and that the best method is to simply try different things and do what seems to work the best for your sled.

·
Premium Member
1,265 Posts
Just always monitor your plug color when "testing" anything, I use a new set of plugs when experimenting with fuel or jetting. If your just running premium fuel you will be fine, but if your jetting or adding additives, keep an eye on the color.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.