Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hey guys I'm new to the hobby and a guy local to me is selling these two sleds. From the photos they look like the sleds are in excellent condition.

What concerns me is the mileage. (He says it's average mileage for four strokes and they've both just been serviced and are turn key blah blah blah)

I know that (some) TWO stroke sleds usually need a top end rebuild roughly around 7,000 miles but I'm unfamiliar with 4 strokes

One is a
2010 Z1 EXT 1100 Turbo 4 stroke with
7,000 miles

And the other is a
2007 Z1 Jaguar 1000 non turbo 4 stroke with 10,000 miles

He's asking about 6,000 for both with an open trailer. (in September)

Is this to many miles? Should I run? How much longer do the sleds have in they're lifespan before they start having serious/ day ruining problems? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,772 Posts
4 Strokes are good for a while but it all depends on how it was maintained. These sleds are notorious for needing valve clearances checked. And if you’re not mechanically inclined and have to get someone to do it, it can be expensive. It’s not an adjustment that needs to be done, it’s different shims required to get clearances back to spec.
Any other part of the machine is basically requires the same maintenance as a two stroke.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
4 Strokes are good for a while but it all depends on how it was maintained. These sleds are notorious for needing valve clearances checked. And if you’re not mechanically inclined and have to get someone to do it, it can be expensive. It’s not an adjustment that needs to be done, it’s different shims required to get clearances back to spec.
Any other part of the machine is basically requires the same maintenance as a two stroke.
I'm very mechanically inclined. If it's anything remotely similar to a go kart boat or car I can handle it! knock on wood. So aside from that there solid engines?

·
Registered
10,772 Posts
Yes they can be. I have an older 660 4 stroke with 6k miles on it. I have replaced shims on some valves too. The older ones are WAY easier to do though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes they can be. I have an older 660 4 stroke with 6k miles on it. I have replaced shims on some valves too. The older ones are WAY easier to do though.
That's what I was thinking. There's also probably a YT tutorial or another sled nut who can help me through it haha. I looked online and looks like there's enough tutorials. I'm rhe kind of guy who maintains the crap out of his stuff but also beats on it lol. What milleage do u think I should adjust them?

·
Registered
10,772 Posts
Manual states every 5000 miles. Usually it's the exhaust that needs them.

Reactions: DIY_Guy

·
Registered
869 Posts
Friendly suggestion; Maybe post your question in the 4-stroke thread, there might be more people with these sleds that have some information you seek

·
Super Moderator
8,776 Posts
I agree with Trp97. I moved this into the 4 stroke section.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
6k for the pair sounds like a good deal. Valve maintenance is not as bad as some make it out to be, but it IS necessary. I have a few posts on the subject. use the search

·
Premium Member
2,467 Posts
Everyone has hit on the valves and it is important. My T660 has 10k on it and still starts and runs like a champ, different motor than what you're looking at though.

IMHO, the 1100 is one tough engine. The turboed ones are know to make some pretty big reliable HP. In stock form, even the turbo has quite a lot of headroom built in. Oil changes and valves checks are key. Oh, one other little "gotcha" is make sure it warm before you take off or shut if off. They can foul plugs if you are careless and getting to those plugs on a Twinspar is PITA. Letting it warm up pretty much eliminates the issue.

K

·
Registered
98 Posts
Had basically both those sleds... My Z1 Turbo was not the EXT and was black and white. I had the valve adjustment done around 8500 mile and it was the 1st one my dealer had ever done. lol. Only one shim was required. I sold at 14,000 +/- and had no other work done to the motor. I as charged for 4 hours labor. Cat told them 3 hours, but they quoted 4 to give themselves some leeway. However it did take them something like 5 hours, but then again, this was their 1st one. The Jag Z1 I did not keep long enough to get to the point of the valve adjustment. Hated the sound of the engine at idle...All I could think of was a cement mixer full of rocks. Was a decent sled, but sounded awful to me and at speed also had a low growl that came from the muffler that rang in my ears. hahahaha. Both were bought by me used, but very low mileage. The Jag Z1 was an 07 and was taken back by the dealer due to a wiring harness issue when brand new (parts back ordered till the end of the season). I bought at the end of the season when the new harness finally came in and they got it to keep running. Was something like 400+ miles on it when bought. Kept for only two seasons, buying the 09 Z1 Turbo which another dealer had used for one season 1200+/- miles. Loved that sled. Saw 100 on the speedo once then chickened out and backed off. lol. When I sold the Z1 Turbo, I bought a 14 ZR7000 SnoPro Ltd, which I put 19,000 miles before selling to buy my current sled a 19 ZR7000 iAct Ltd (6,000 miles in one and a half seasons). Had the valve adjustment done on the 14 (Yami motor and not a Suzi) at appx 15,000 though probably should have been done earlier. Again, 1st one that dealer had ever done as well.

·
Registered
51 Posts

Hey guys I'm new to the hobby and a guy local to me is selling these two sleds. From the photos they look like the sleds are in excellent condition.

What concerns me is the mileage. (He says it's average mileage for four strokes and they've both just been serviced and are turn key blah blah blah)

I know that (some) TWO stroke sleds usually need a top end rebuild roughly around 7,000 miles but I'm unfamiliar with 4 strokes

One is a
2010 Z1 EXT 1100 Turbo 4 stroke with
7,000 miles

And the other is a
2007 Z1 Jaguar 1000 non turbo 4 stroke with 10,000 miles

He's asking about 6,000 for both with an open trailer. (in September)

Is this to many miles? Should I run? How much longer do the sleds have in they're lifespan before they start having serious/ day ruining problems? Thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts