Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All:

I am new to the AC's and sledding. I have a 1979 Jag with a 340 FA... I just bought a junker/parts sled with a 340 FC. Are the motors basicaly the same (except for the oil pump on FC) if I take off all the fan crap and put FA heads on the FC?

Also: I see many new Suzuki motors have "reeds"... why dosn't the older air cooled ones like mine have them? Would it pay for me to modify my intake manifold and put on reeds?

Thanks in advance! I am still learning by tearing down the junker sled.

Finaly: If any one needs any parts of this 1979 Jag 3000 FC sled, let me know.

Sam

:beer_cheers:

·
Registered
80 Posts
if the F/A is in good shape and will run, id personally stick with It. They are both great machines, but a premix machine has less trobles to offer in the long run, although you can also always remove the oil pump and run the F/C on premix. As far as reeds, I have no clue as to whether you would gain much by putting them on an old 340 or not. I would assume the heads are likelt the same, but if your not sure, compare them, or contact someone who sells the part to inquire if the part no. is different. If its not, then you are good to go.

good luck

kurt

·
Registered
474 Posts
Arctic stubbornly stuck to piston port induction long after other guys were playing with other methods, because it was the most reliable. The little Jag was never meant to be a trail racer like the Polaris TX. Instead it was aimed at women and kids and new riders, cheap and reliable and light, nothing to scare anyone. NOW, that is not to say you can't hot rod them! The usual tricks apply here for piston port work. There was another guy on here last year that has hot rodded a 340 FA using ideas he got from me and others. Start reading the back stories on here and you will find what we talked about. You can do anything with cubic bucks, but putting reed valve induction in this old sled engine would be a first class PITA. You are better off doing some basic port and head work and clutch work. The other choice is, if you want a sleeper Jag, swap out the engine for something bigger from an El-Tigre.

PS: The jugs and heads are different between the FC and the FA. The FA has bigger fins. I have owned both sleds and found that the FC runs better in warm weather. Mine has had an "injector-dectomy" courtesy of an old mod kit from Cat. The stock FC pump runs rich, mine had missing parts anyway, so I removed it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice! I would like to ditch the oil injectors on my 2 FC motors also: makes for a more reliable motor. Do you know where i can get these mod kits to take the pump/etc off? Can the pre-mix run in the non-pre mix (FC) carb?

Sam

·
Registered
474 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (1979_jag_in_ADKs @ Mar 27 2007, 08:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Thanks for the advice! I would like to ditch the oil injectors on my 2 FC motors also: makes for a more reliable motor. Do you know where i can get these mod kits to take the pump/etc off? Can the pre-mix run in the non-pre mix (FC) carb?

Sam[/b]

RV Sports has a limited supply left. They cost about ten bucks and include a crankcase stuffer and a block off cover. I forget the part number but they were developed for the mid 1980's Cougar 500 fan motor for the old Sport 5 class. They just happen to fit into the little 340 Jag engine perfect! In my case I had to pull the engine out of the sled as it just makes the job a lot easier. You disconnect the injection rod to the carb and remove it. Then take the entire pump out of the crankcase. Mine bound a little but gently rotating the crank back and forth let me find the spot where the gear on the crank was not binding the pump gear, then it fell out easy. Clean off the face of the pump mount and use the gasket supplied in the kit, then mount the block off plate. I used Loctite grade blue to keep the mounting screws from vibrating out. Obviously you want the engine clean as a whistle before you start this job. Keeps garbage out of that vital hole. Pretty simple job really and the instructions from Cat are included in the kit.

We fiddled with the Jag idle speed and some other tweaks, but I have not had to change the jetting yet. I run 40-1 Klotz and 93 octane super unleaded in it. I have put about oh, 300 miles on the sled since then, no problems. You could probably run 50-1 mix in it fine, but I ride HARD so I mix it a little rich. Just do the usual "check the plugs after the first wide open run" routine for carb jetting, then adjust and rejet as necessary depending on your needs and altitude.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts