Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,589 Posts
Cat makes a fuel de-icer that you can run in your gas to absorb water.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Far as I understand it, you have to use isopropyl alcohol. Cats deicer is isopropyl alcohol. Been told to stay away from methanol, causes problems. Use the Cat stuff without a hitch.

Roddy

·
Premium Member
8,741 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RowdyRoddy @ Jan 28 2007, 09:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Far as I understand it, you have to use isopropyl alcohol. Cats deicer is isopropyl alcohol. Been told to stay away from methanol, causes problems. Use the Cat stuff without a hitch.

Roddy[/b]

right on RODDY,....just iso,............
i ran it in my f kitty from day one.

·
Registered
90 Posts
While on the subject....Anyone ever dump some fuel injector cleaner in there gas from time to time in an EFI sled? Buddy of mine did it, he says he read about it on a website and alot of guys do it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I was wondering the same thing about the Injector Cleaner. I use it in my truck every few months. As for the gas-line antifreeze, I wouldn't use very much of it, maybe a 1/4 of a bottle in a full tank??? I've heard stories of guys losing engines because of it. But who knows really.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I run seafoam thru it every so often, and for storage, have for years and have never had any problems.

·
Registered
106 Posts
There is a type of fuel deicer you can use. Read on the back label and it will say "safe for snowmobiles". The regular type will break down the injection oil. Really bad if you mix your fuel instead of using the injection system. Isopropyl alcohol works the best! Make sure you use the 99% stuff though, the rubbing alcohol is only 70% and 30% water, bad combination!!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Isopropyl Alchol is the one you want to use (Cristy, Napa thermo-aid, etc). Methyl alcohol merely keeps the water from freezing while Isoprpyl homogonizes the water with the gas also so as not to slug the engine with blasts of pure water. Methyl alcohol dry gas will have a skull and cross bone poison symbol on the label, Iso doesn't.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I run fuel injector cleaner in my sled about twice a year. Normally half a bottle to a tank of gas. Never had any problems. The only problem I would anticipate is leaning out the mixture but, since the EFI sleds run a little rich to begin with it's not an issue.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I always carry a bottle of gasline antifreeze in my sled, a little insurance. Working in the backcountry doing forestry work I've seen people snowshoe many miles because their sled froze up. Its really easy to build up condensation in your fuel tank.
The real kicker is when they walk out for hours and you go to rescue the sled the next day and it starts third pull!!!

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
The stuff i use is called PX-99 and is a red bottle and is designed for 2 stroke engines

·
Registered
8 Posts
ive heard that seaforam was the best to use ( regular, not the spray deep creep )...claims to have both de icing qualities, carb / jet cleaning abilities and a lube....can anyone back this up..ive got a 4 day trip to michigans up starting sunday and they are calling for temps below zero..

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lake_runner @ Jan 28 2007, 08:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hey does anybody know if you can run gas line antifreeze in a 2 stroke snowmobile motor ???[/b]
Go to Canadian Tire and get the Iso gas line anti-freeze. It's the one with the blue label. It's the more expensive one compared to the red labelled Methyl alcohol type is beside it on the shelf.

I've even gone to the pharmacy and bought the 99% Isopropyl Alcohol. Far cheaper than the stuff bottled for auto suppliers, especially when it's on sale. Rockerdude

·
Registered
8 Posts
You should add isopropyl alcohol to your tank on every fillup. A bottle is usually good for 10 gals of gas, 1/2 bottle for 5 gals. If you look at the inside of your gas tank cap when the sled is cold in the morning you usually will see ice crystals from condensation that will occur when your warm sled cools down overnite and of course we all know that H2O becomes a solid at 32 degrees fahrenheit, 0 degrees celsius. If you don't do this I can guarantee you you will experience gas line freeze more than once. My .02

1 - 18 of 18 Posts