Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took my new 2010 Z1 Turbo EXT LE out for the first time this past weekend and put on around 190 miles - WOW, what a machine!

The only change I've made is that I've swapped out the stock carbides and installed 6" Dooly carbides (which is more carbide than came stock).

The problem I'm experiencing is that when I go into a corner the sled wants to push. As my speed slows down (generally due to engine braking) I feel the weight of the sled shift forward and the skis bite and turn. It seems that any turn over about 25mph has this problem. Anything slower turns like it's on a rail.

I expect to have some push in sharp corners but not as much as there is. On those big lazy turns, I'd expect the sled to be on rails but it still pushes to some degree. I also noticed some darting, more than I was expecting with the Dooly's installed.

My question is: What adjustment is going to help me solve this problem the best?

- Bigger carbides (better bite)
- Front ski clicker adjustment (I'm assuming if I adjust the front ski clickers it'll just stiffen the front end up and not address the pushing)
- Tighten the limiter strap (to get more ski down pressure)

On my 97 ZRT, tightening the limiter straps solved my problems after I installed a Ripsaw track...Now that I've made the quantum leap of 13 years in suspension and ride technology I was hoping to get a little advice from someone who has experience with a newer sled and a longer track.

Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
2,457 Posts
First off dual runners don't corner like singles., they just don't have the same bite.

Second, that EXT has a LOT of track behind it. I wonder if 6" is even enough even with no studs installed.

You can shorten up the limiter but I think you just have to much track in the back right now for the runners you're using.

At least that's my guess.

K

·
Registered
266 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CatBandit @ Dec 21 2009, 03:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I just took my new 2010 Z1 Turbo EXT LE out for the first time this past weekend and put on around 190 miles - WOW, what a machine!

The only change I've made is that I've swapped out the stock carbides and installed 6" Dooly carbides (which is more carbide than came stock).

The problem I'm experiencing is that when I go into a corner the sled wants to push. As my speed slows down (generally due to engine braking) I feel the weight of the sled shift forward and the skis bite and turn. It seems that any turn over about 25mph has this problem. Anything slower turns like it's on a rail.

I expect to have some push in sharp corners but not as much as there is. On those big lazy turns, I'd expect the sled to be on rails but it still pushes to some degree. I also noticed some darting, more than I was expecting with the Dooly's installed.

My question is: What adjustment is going to help me solve this problem the best?

- Front ski clicker adjustment (I'm assuming if I adjust the front ski clickers it'll just stiffen the front end up and not address the pushing)

On my 97 ZRT, tightening the limiter straps solved my problems after I installed a Ripsaw track...Now that I've made the quantum leap of 13 years in suspension and ride technology I was hoping to get a little advice from someone who has experience with a newer sled and a longer track.

Thanks!![/b]
I have 6" Slim-Jim's on my 09 Z1 Turbo LXE and it's outstanding in holding the corners. The down side to these runners is they only last about 1500 miles.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
has anyone tryed a 8: dooly on one ski and an 8" executive runner on the other?
I was going to try this this year?

·
Registered
232 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CatBandit @ Dec 21 2009, 03:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Thanks!![/b]
I would put an 8 inch shaper on it and go from there.

·
Registered
568 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zoso @ Dec 22 2009, 01:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CatBandit @ Dec 21 2009, 03:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks!![/b]
I would put an 8 inch shaper on it and go from there.
[/b][/quote]

Yup its what I use on both out 07 Z1's without studs.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Now I'm not comparing apples to apples but when I bought my T-660 T.T. it pushed in the corners...bad. Tried different carbide and no improvement. Finally switched to Powder Pros and what a difference. Used stock 6" 60deg. Carbide and it seemed the less ski pressure the better. When those wore out I switched to Bergstrom triple sixes. Scott included the the wedges for balancing the skis. Now these things bite and I'm back to putting pressure back on after they were balanced. Great handling and bite almost like a ZR and thats a lot to say for a Touring. So, it may not be all in the carbide....something to think about.

·
Registered
232 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (double r @ Dec 22 2009, 11:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Now I'm not comparing apples to apples but when I bought my T-660 T.T. it pushed in the corners...bad. Tried different carbide and no improvement. Finally switched to Powder Pros and what a difference. Used stock 6" 60deg. Carbide and it seemed the less ski pressure the better. When those wore out I switched to Bergstrom triple sixes. Scott included the the wedges for balancing the skis. Now these things bite and I'm back to putting pressure back on after they were balanced. Great handling and bite almost like a ZR and thats a lot to say for a Touring. So, it may not be all in the carbide....something to think about.[/b]
I have found a night and day difference with the shapers on the stock skis, went through several different set ups, and now my sled rails. It is pathetic that they ship these with those stock carbides.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I am also a fan of the Shapers, but only have experience with a 121" track. You have a lot of rubber under you. The Shapers will corner better, and may dart a bit more than the dual runners, though I've found the darting to be very minimal. The limiter strap deal would help, but again I don't know how much, with that monster track. I was wondering how the new Cat skis were working out, but it sounds like the same old story. :chug:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts