Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 400 auto trans 4x4 atv air cooled with oil cooler.

I am troubleshooting a problem of it shutting down after about 15 min. of running. It will restart again in about 15 min.

It has a oil temperature sensor and it is working. The electrical diagram is showing that there is no circuitry connected to the oil switch to shutdown the motor. When I heat up the sensor the fan will come on at the approx. right temp.

It has a temperature sensor also mounted in the crank case. Can that sensor shutdown the motor if it thinks the oil is too hot?

I've been on the forum for days and days and dazes. Before I start to tare apart other options I want to make sure it is not from the motor getting to hot.

Thanks for your time
Scoutdog

·
Registered
15 Posts
My 04 400 did the same thing when I bought it used last year. It was an electrical plug in the harness under the front plastic that had come loose. The dealer I bought it from cleaned it up and replugged it together, no issues since.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I would also suspect a coil. As they heat up they quit working and the engine shuts off until it cools down again. Check for spark next time it does it. Use an old plug with a big gap. It is easier to make spark in open air than under compression so you want a larger gap in open air to test it. I have a Toro lawn mower that did the same thing. Bad coil.

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
Two answer your original question, there are two sensors in the crank case. One will turn on the fan to cool the oil in the oil cooler. The second will trip an overheat condition which will simply flash on your pod, It will NOT shut down the machine.

Mike

·
Registered
2,627 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I have solved the problem! The four wires coming out of the left side of the motor form the stator was shorting out on the housing. I found it when I started wiggling the wires. I noticed a wire was chaffed a little on the wire cover. I think the high energy voltage was arc jumping out on the metal case. I packed high temp RTV at the point of entry/exit to the motor case.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I had the same wiring on my 02 500 about a inch off the case. I ran new wiring and soldered the connections. Plus I bought some high heat insulator for race cars and installed it over the wire all the way to the right side. Mine probably got melted from the exhaust pipe. Funny thing is it ran I just happened to notice it when i had my engine out for the rebuild. Sure glad I did when it was out cuz I habe rather large hand and it would've been a PIA to repair.

·
Administrator
40,660 Posts
On the right side ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.