Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys, the curiosity is killing me. Went riding the other day with some friends and one guy said his pyrometer gauge was reading about 1200*, sled is fan cooled. This is first year he had sled. We had been riding pretty much about 50 mph and then doing a little drag racing in the open fields, up to about 75 or 80. When he would pin it it would go to right around 1200* or so. This being the first sled we have been around with a pyrometer gauge, what is normal engine temp?? At what temp will a two stroker start melting down?? Does fan or liquid make a difference in meltdown temp?? Thanks for the info.

I dunno

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jlh33 @ Feb 5 2007, 11:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Okay guys, the curiosity is killing me. Went riding the other day with some friends and one guy said his pyrometer gauge was reading about 1200*, sled is fan cooled. This is first year he had sled. We had been riding pretty much about 50 mph and then doing a little drag racing in the open fields, up to about 75 or 80. When he would pin it it would go to right around 1200* or so. This being the first sled we have been around with a pyrometer gauge, what is normal engine temp?? At what temp will a two stroker start melting down?? Does fan or liquid make a difference in meltdown temp?? Thanks for the info.

I dunno[/b]
The service manual for your sled should disclose that spec. You may also find it on EGT's website.

EDIT: that said I recall reading (AC manual) 1250 peak for ZR800 with detonation at 1275+.

·
Registered
4,198 Posts
On a cold day my well jetted ZR900 see's just a tad over 1200 in the mid range, to me of a leaf blower that might be a little on the high side...............best to confirm with piston wash readings.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Not all sleds and motors are the same. You should check with egt or someone who has a spec for it. I know on my race sled that detonation starts around 1250, so I watch to keep it maxed close to 1200. But like I said, not all motors are the same.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
There is a very wide range of normal for EGT and the proper probe placement is imperative.
Here are the specs for many sleds but these are also guidelines. Like ZR pointed out you need to look at piston wash and use that to determine what is normal for the sled. Once you know what is normal the EGT will allow you to jet to that temp for performance in varying temperature conditions. The gauge will also tell you if you have a problem before you burn the motor

[attachment=62912:egt.pdf]

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts