Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone i'm pretty new to snowmobiling caught the bug just last season, i have a 1998 zl 500 that i'm interested in installing a battery in to power some additional lights and a 12v accessory line for phone/gps charging . a friend of mine told me that the stator is not powerful enough to charge it and it will eventually die on me. just curious if its possible or if im wasting my time?

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
What lights? It all depends what your adding which you haven't told us yet. So rather than guess why don't you tell us how many amps your going to draw?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry. like I said I'm new. I dont know much about lights either. They are two small 240w lightbars. So 20amps each I think and just a USB port or a cigarette lighter to connect my cellphone up to to keep it charged. I dont know how many amps that would draw

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Well I would say with that amp draw and the sleds charging system, your already wiped out. Couldn't find the exact output of a 98 ZL500 stator but a brand new Arctic Cat ZR puts out 270 watts, thats 22 amps. I's say your in the negative, meaning you drive it far enough your battery will be dead using just the light bar. Now you have gauge lights, a headlight and a tail light on top of that light bar. What you need are LED's, they take hardly anything. Your cell phone charger takes hardly anything

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay. Any suggestions on LED's? I would like to be able to cast a wider cone on the trails at night

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Nope but there are plenty of HID and LED conversions, have to shop around the web

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
you can add the battery and the stator will charge it.
the real problem is the stator is ac voltage.
the battery and your lights you are looking at are dc voltage.
you need a rectifier.
check this thread
12 VDC power for GPS or cell phones
think trhats way beyond his capabilities, he wants to just basically plug something in . If thats the case I would suggest just sell the sled and get one with a charging system. sleds are a dime a dozen now. just thinkin

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Well for a quick fix and you must have those options you are requesting, you can run a very strong emergency exit light battery or portable fish finder battery . And run it separate. It will last all day, when you done riding for the day pull it out and charge. It. Smiles smiles .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk FastCat123$&.6doozr9000

·
Premium Member
3,112 Posts
i disagree, i believe you are selling the op short.
what better time to learn?
not all of us can fix our problems with our wallet as you suggest most of the time.
plenty of us would rather do it ourselves and learn even if it takes longer.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Was looking over that diagram, looks like I will be going that route myself when I finish up my rear suspension.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
i disagree, i believe you are selling the op short.
what better time to learn?
not all of us can fix our problems with our wallet as you suggest most of the time.
plenty of us would rather do it ourselves and learn even if it takes longer.
Ok let's take your route instead of mine. You teach him how to splice in a rectifier system with a battery charging circuit, battery mounting tray, cables, battery ETC. Do you see what he wrote? Do you see what he wants to install? Two lightbars that draw 20 amps each, thats 40 amps of twelve volts. That's 480 watts, plus the dash lights, plus the head light, plus the tail light, all out of (at best) a 270 watt stator. In the bold below, do you see what he knows. Yes maybe not much, but your suggesting he cut into his sleds harness and play re-design engineer on the fly while we advise him step bey step online when he's never done such a thing, and not very well versed in electrics?? I wanna see this. LED's and a SLA battery like CatFeaver suggested is a way I would go quickly. But you go right ahead and advise him, I'll watch your better plan happen.
Sorry. like I said I'm new. I dont know much about lights either. They are two small 240w lightbars. So 20amps each I think and just a USB port or a cigarette lighter to connect my cellphone up to to keep it charged. I dont know how many amps that would draw

·
Premium Member
3,112 Posts
yes i do see what he wrote and wants to install.
he will have to install a fully charged battery.
the battery itself will take the brunt of the wattage load from the lights.
he can recharge the battery while the sled sits and he sleeps.
your suggestion of selling the sled to buy one that has a battery and charging system so he can have the lights he wants is ......
instead making what he has work for him.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I installed electric start on my zr 900 , and after reading and going over the electrical system that the battery gets trickle charge from the stator. But not by that much. Don’t no if this apply’s

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
yes i do see what he wrote and wants to install.
he will have to install a fully charged battery.
the battery itself will take the brunt of the wattage load from the lights.
he can recharge the battery while the sled sits and he sleeps.
your suggestion of selling the sled to buy one that has a battery and charging system so he can have the lights he wants is ......
instead making what he has work for him.
Thats good, I want to see you explain to him step by step how he will install (or someone with absolutely no experience at all in electrical work for instance) and cut into the harness a complete charging system capable of running in excess of 480 watts (his minimum requirement) for the 40 amps he stated he needed. As I said I agree with Cat Fever fastest way is pack a sealed lead acid battery and as I said go to LED's rather than try and have someone with no electrical experience try to create a charging system almost double the factory output. And again rather than say my idea of selling the sled and getting one with a charging system (which is just one way of taking care of it, not that it's a bad idea but if you look what I said it was in the context of if "all he wants to do is plug something in") then that one idea. I'll see how your going to show this guy how to re-engineer this charging system to put out in excess of 40 amps like your suggesting. Show me how you do this. I'll start by this level, "I don't know what a soldering iron is, and I don't know what a crimp connector is" so lets start there, what do I do next?

·
Premium Member
3,112 Posts
the op has to decide what avenue to take.

he can read the threads i posted and decide to follow or not.

he should contact xjay as he has installed the battery setup in his sled.

or do as you say and buy a different sled to add lights too.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
the op has to decide what avenue to take.

he can read the threads i posted and decide to follow or not.

he should contact xjay as he has installed the battery setup in his sled.

or do as you say and buy a different sled to add lights too.
yup the kids with their loud car stereos do it with just spare battery power, don't see why you couldn't do it on a sled. But it's his choice

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dont you need battery charging management and or 4 diodes to rectify the ac? Or is an alternator with a volt regulator enough?

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Dont you need battery charging management and or 4 diodes to rectify the ac? Or is an alternator with a volt regulator enough?
you need a rectifier, but what he needs is just a battery and good set of auxiliary LED light fixtures

1 - 19 of 19 Posts