Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. This is my first post in this forum. I have an opportunity to purchase an orange and black 2012 700 LTD Mud Pro. I have a very small window of time to make this decision. Here are some of the variables and questions I have:

Price "locked in" from a dealer at $6500 out the door. Not a penny more.

Hours on machine-153. Miles-1067.

Not really in the market for another machine but if price is as good as I think, it may just be a no brainer:Bangin:.....is it?I dunno

Have not looked at machine yet, dealer says it's fine only minor scratches and whatnot.

Is there room in that price for any repairs and if so how much room?

Not to familiar with AC machines, is it generaly a good ATV?

Any help from all you AC users will be greatly appriciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
4,547 Posts
Sounds good to me. If the history is clean, mechanical solid and only minor cosmetic damage it's a real, real good deal.

The 700's are very good machines. Get it and post some pictures! Cat happy

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Firecat. Will be on my way to take a look at it in about an hour. Sounds like if it's a sound machine I should scoop it up and run like a thief, even if a few minor repairs are needed. I'm not illiterate when it comes to ATV's just not real familiar with the Cats so thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,547 Posts
New the MSRP on that machine is $11,499. So someone took a hit. I saw one in MN for $700 more and a year older at a dealership. Eo I think it's a good deal, real good. Look it over carefully and completely however, you don't want any surprises when you get it home. Check the oil, make sure it doesn't have an lights on the pod, it shifts into all gears, shifts into and out of 4x4 etc....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I'm going to give it a good look, shake, tug, sniff, ride or whatever else it takes to build some confidence in the purchase. I'm also going to have them open the airbox so I can check for water residue in there. Anything else in particular I should look for on that model? I got about 25 min before I head that way.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

This thing is a BEAST.:D After looking it over and riding it all I could find wrong with it is the outer edge of all the fenders are scratched or marked. The front bumper looks like it was used to push something and the brake light stays on. I think the return spring on the rear brake pedal is hosed up.
So I tossed the guy 6500 bucks total and took the 700 LTD Mud Pro to the house without even haggling. I just wanted to get gone with the ATV in the back of my truck.

Did I do good?

·
Administrator
40,631 Posts
Looks good'n was the airbox clean?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The filter was maybe 50% dirty but there were no signs of water residue at all. The oil was also good. He said that they hadn't serviced it and I tend to believe that from what I saw. I'll have to wait till this weekend to give it a good running.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Nice machine and if it's in good condition and at $6500 that's a great deal. The brake light is staying on because of one of the two switches. Either the hand brake lever or the foot brake. On my 02 500 the light was staying on due to the foot brake switch but our ATVs are totally different. You still should have a foot brake switch and just unplug the switch and if it goes off you found your problem. GL.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Checked out the brake light problem a little more last night. When I pull the rear brake pedal up the light goes out as it should, but when I release the pedal it comes back on. It looks like the return spring that wraps around the pedal pivot point is actually pushing the pedal the wrong way.
Anyone else have problems with this spring?
Other than that, at this point, I have'nt found anything else wrong with the machine.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update: So I took the Mud Pro down to my hunt club this past weekend and put about 7 hours on it over the 2 days. It's now wearing a layer of smelly swamp scum all over it with not much orange or black showing thru. It went everywhere I demanded it to go with more ease than any other ATV I've owned and I have found or had zero problems with it.
The power, torque, and grip it delivers to the soft wet sandy/flooded ground of Northeast Florida made me realize that there is now nowhere on the 2000 acres that I can't go. No more detours around certain parts of trails. No more going the long way around because a road is to wet or muddy.

This was the fifth ATV purchase in my life and I can say as of right now I believe it to be my best purchase to date.

I can not tell a lie. I have come across one serious problem..........my wife has decided that it is "her" ATV and I believe it may be a problem beyond my capabilities to repair...engarde

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.