1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Punch holes where, and help with what??

·
Registered
361 Posts
sounds like a good mod for long track sleds. thats about it.

it helps fling snow up in the tunnel for cooling, and the snow is from inside the track so u lose unwanted weight. And some more weight from punching the actual holes.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Thats what I figured he was talking about. Personally I would be afraid I would ruin the track, but thats me. Curious to hear from other people on this one.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
that is what iam talking about i have seen it on a few sleds and read it in snowtech just wondering if any one tried it

·
Registered
564 Posts
I imagine it can give better traction in the deeper snow and put some snow up in the tunnel.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I only think it would make a difference on a long track sled because you can lose more weight because you ahve more track to drill out. I think the weight savings on a 121 inch track wouldn't give you that much in weight savings. Take off the snow flap and it'll probobly be the same......

·
Registered
187 Posts
A lot of people on Snowwest's deep powder forum were drilling holes in their tracks about 2 years ago, and they had a lots of discussions about it back then. You might want to search that forum for those older posts, or ask about it there. The main reason's people were doing it back then were for the added snow under the tunnels, and the weight reduction as others mentioned above. One advantage many claimed was a drastic increase in track speed once the weight was removed, and nobody mentioned any problems with flotation in the deep snow, since the holes were too small to make much difference. Pretty much all the people that were doing it were running longtracks. I agree drilling a 121" track might not show any worthwhile improvements.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I have not drilled mine yet, but my roomates on his second drilled track on his 121 blairmorgan rev ported 800HO, First track went for about 3000 miles or more absolutely no problems, was missing too many lugs, survived two burnouts, one on pavement, one on steel plate. Any decrease in rotating mass is not only good for total sled wieght loss, but takes less effort to turn, therefore transfering more HP. Also track is more flexible and rolls easier. Didn;t take any effect on floatation and has no problem running on water... i would not be afraid to try it, was going to do my 1.7 track but hit a rock and broke it early this season. the 1.375 might get done yet, but im thinking of using it for the grass drags. He did both of his with a wholesaw.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hay thanks guys i made a call to a place where they punch holes and they said to go with two only and make sure they are between the idealer wheels so i went and did it with a 1-1/4inch hole saw it took one hour and i weighed the pieces got 1-1/4 pounds and with the dust from the hole saw ill call it 1-1/2 pounds and that should be about 7 horse i think i heard that 1 pound of rotating mass is worth 7 horse well thanks again oh my track was 153

·
Registered
302 Posts
nice work, my roomate here went 3 - 2 - 3 for holes but a little smaller wholesaw... 1 1/4 seemed just a tad close to the rods on his last one. another buddy of ours on his kids rev 550 fanner went three every pitch

·
Registered
102 Posts
I was ogling one at the Outlaw Drags last fall.

2 holes in the outer belts - 3 in the center

all 2" diameter

Done with a tool that is heated red hot so the belts and rubber get melted together to prevent fraying.

I was thinking about doing it to my 1M8, but sold it. I will be doing on whatever I get to replace it.

It makes the track super flexable and reduces rotating weight. That frees up horsepower.

BTW - the thumbrule is 6lbs per 1hp - not 6hp per 1lb

Waldo

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
are you talking rotating mass or weight off sled hope iam right 1lb of rotating mass = 6 horse or it dont seam like it would be worth it and then buying aftermarket parts like brake rotor only saves a littile rotating mass and there not cheep oh well it was still fun to do

·
Registered
64 Posts
:tongue_nana: I did my 03 900 151 with two 1 1/4" holes per paddle. Sorry I couldn't tell any difference on anything, but drilling with a holesaw never hurt it either, run it 2000 miles or so, looks like it did when I finnished. Running the two rear wheels on the inside, like 03 firecat clears out better, my opinion.........................

1 - 17 of 17 Posts