Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
You are going to be one happy SOB the first time you take that sled for a rip!!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I put 402 miles on it this weekend in the UP :)

Few questions/concerns:

Has anyone noticed a ton of ice/snow gets in the rear storage/trunk?

Does anybody make a spare belt holder to mount somewhere on the sled other than the trunk?

Lastly, my dash/gauges reset them selves when I turn on my high beams. What's up with this? Is it a common problem?

Any other issues I should be on the lookout for?

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have noticed the same things as you:

- rear storage not even close to being water/snow proof.

- put drive belt in rear storage. It's of no use for anything else.

- haven't noticed the gauge/high beam thing, but haven't done much night riding yet.

Just a few of the characteristics inherent with the machine. After a while you forget about them.

Redd

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Redd @ Jan 31 2007, 09:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I have noticed the same things as you:

- rear storage not even close to being water/snow proof.

- put drive belt in rear storage. It's of no use for anything else.

- haven't noticed the gauge/high beam thing, but haven't done much night riding yet.

Just a few of the characteristics inherent with the machine. After a while you forget about them.

Redd[/b]

Is there another storage bag solution for somewhere else on the sled? I usually like to bring a extra pair of gloves, hat, and head sock along, but that is definetly not possibly with the "wet" storage that I have found so far.

·
Premium Member
3,920 Posts
I haven't tested this yet, but will be later this week. Regarding the trunk area allowing snow ...

I took some silicone and sealed the bottom of the trunk - you can see a gap there, and I think that's where the majority of the snow is coming in. I also took some electrical tape, split it down the middle, and ran the tap on the lip of the opening (where the lid closes). I'm hoping that will act as somewhat of a seal.

Regarding the belt ...

I purchased the velcro belt holder which was on my firecat belt guard. Rivet it on, and use it. There's enough room to run your belt in there and kind of curve it down with the front of the belt guard. I used two zip ties to hold the belt together, and it fits just fine ... it helps if you press it in/under your oil reservoir.

Regarding the speedo cutting out ...

This is a pretty common topic. I just replaced my CCU with a F6 my dealer had on the showroom floor. I'm not sure it will make a difference, but with my original CCU my entire speedo was cutting out. In addition to the new CCU, I also taped off some of the wires and added some rubber caps to the bolts which were being pressed up against from the wiring harness.

As with any new sled, there's bound to be a few bugs and if this is the worst that happens I'll be more than happy. I absolutely love the ride & power of the F8 .... GREAT sled.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Backinblack-Your sled looks sooo much better with that silver spar cover painted black. I don't know what Cat was thinking there. Hopefully they change that for next year.

·
Registered
298 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (F7Hooligan @ Jan 31 2007, 10:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Backinblack-Your sled looks sooo much better with that silver spar cover painted black. I don't know what Cat was thinking there. Hopefully they change that for next year.[/b]

Just wait... ArcitcFX did a killer job for me, and D&D too... New pics after the weekend. Not worthy:

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have the same problem with the High Beam/ Speedo cut out. My F-8 Rocks could never go back to the firecat. Loved it but there is no comparison. Did not check the trunck for ice. :super_happy:

Attachments

·
Registered
249 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NightFireSnowPro @ Jan 31 2007, 06:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (backinblack @ Jan 31 2007, 06:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I put a rear seat pack, and tank bag on mine. Great investment! Here's a pic.[/b]
What windshield is that?

[attachment=62418:IMG_1364.JPG]
[/b][/quote]
It's the low chrome one. 3/4" lower than stock snopro and a bit higher than flyscreen.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Hey nightfiresnopro,
I didn't notice your pic at first. Nice! Looks good with the matte black windshield with the black spars. I was leaning that way too, but had to wait for matte, and chrome was in stock. Easy decision at that point.

·
Registered
298 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (backinblack @ Feb 1 2007, 10:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hey nightfiresnopro,
I didn't notice your pic at first. Nice! Looks good with the matte black windshield with the black spars. I was leaning that way too, but had to wait for matte, and chrome was in stock. Easy decision at that point.[/b]

Thanks! Like I said, the decals are on... waitng for a "photo shoot" this weekend. Jordan did some insane work on my kit... I couldnt be more happy.

Also testing the D&D clutch kit this weekend with a shift assist. Rockerdude From what ive seen so far, this thing is a freak out of the hole!

·
Registered
54 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (erkoehler @ Jan 30 2007, 04:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Couldn't hold off any longer! Traded in the 03 on this:[/b]
You made a wise decision as you already know......the new F series are WAY BETTER in terms of ride and handling compared to the the Firecats and I had three of them! I had a chance last week to ride my buddy's '05 F7 and it seemed odd to ride it; it was terrible over the bumps (as I already have had past experience on) and my buddy couldn't believe how great my F8 S/P rode and handled the bumps and how smooth it was; I told him that his beat the crap out of me just riding it a few miles; (granted the trails were rough) but wow what a difference mine is over his. And to some other things too; yes you'll get snow in the rear compartment; I ordered a storage compartment liner (bag) for mine and it keeps my hat & extra gloves, face-mask from getting wet, but on the down side I have a hard time getting my extra belt in there unless I velcro & wire tie and bend it in there. I also want to state that some other people on this site are complaining about their F8s' power; but I found this to be the complete opposite with mine; it goes like hell (yeah I added a Y-pipe,reeds, & Speedwerx breather) but I spoke to other guys with theirs being bone stock & they were very happy with theirs as is. Also the F8's give great gas mileage and I ride with guys who have all the brands on the market and with smaller engines, and mine always uses less gas. All in all I'm happy for you, you made a great choice; the best of luck with it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
For the rear storage problem I bought the little insert bag (35$) from ac and all my stuff stays nice and dry unless you oil litre leaks everywere.Oh well....

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Yes, you'll love that chassis! Even my wife finnally broke down and rode mine when the trails got bad. And she no wonder you were not slowing down this thing just goes right over the bumps!

And yes to the belt trick I did the same thing, but no issues here yet with light or speedo. Just need to get the secondary adjusted the belt is sitting to low.

And yes to the mirrors like black did! I did the same to mine.
I love this new sled!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts