Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, today after I got home from work I went to the mancave to attack the job of replacing the driveshaft bearing at the speedo adapter on my 96 Tcat. I really thought this was going to be a tedious job but from start to spindle out & on the bench top with bearing removed it took me only 48 minutes Cat happy

The bearing was completely gone with most of the outer race destroyed. Everything came off easily and i'm ready to install. Thanks for the help guys. Clap It was much easier than I had thought. Of course reading the removal procedure in the manual a couple of times over really helped.

Now, is the little cable adapter piece that goes inside the driveshaft to turn the speedo mechanism a dealer part only? Mine was broken in half.

Bob

·
Premium Member
4,337 Posts
That's the only place i can find them.

Sent from somewhere in MN

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Yep dealer only. A whopping 2 to 3 bucks. I have a couple left over from a parts sled. If you were closer I'd hook you up. You might want to get a new bushing too. The recommend you change the bushing at the same time and you might not be able to get the broken bit of the key out without pulling the bushing out.

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep dealer only. A whopping 2 to 3 bucks. I have a couple left over from a parts sled. If you were closer I'd hook you up. You might want to get a new bushing too. The recommend you change the bushing at the same time and you might not be able to get the broken bit of the key out without pulling the bushing out.

Both pieces came out pretty easy with some tweezers.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Both pieces came out pretty easy with some tweezers.
You're lucky. The 2 I've done there was nothing left to grab onto. One I was able to get the bushing out fairly easily with a chisel. The other I had to extract it with a screw. I would still replace the bushing or you might end up in a situation like tcat446 where the bushing ends up stripped inside the drive shaft. It's only a couple of bucks too.

·
Registered
10,301 Posts
When I ordered the bushing they recommended I put some lock tight on the splines of the bushing before tapping it in flush.

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I ordered the bushing they recommended I put some lock tight on the splines of the bushing before tapping it in flush.

The bushing on mine looks like it is metal, like it's part of the drive shaft. I confirmed it with a magnet. When I slide in the little square rod it finds the square notch about 1/4" inside. Does this mean the bushing broke off on the outside?

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
The bushing is there. They get really beat up and can be hard to tell it's even there. I didn't know there was one on the first sled I did until the dealer told me. The second one was even worse. When you see a new one you'll never believe it's the same part.

Personally I would replace the bushing unless you're in a rush to get it done. You're best bet to get it out is probably to thread a screw in the end and pull it out with vise grips. If the key goes at least 1/2 way in and seems to be making a solid connection you're probably okay.

·
Registered
10,301 Posts
The bushing on mine looks like it is metal, like it's part of the drive shaft. I confirmed it with a magnet. When I slide in the little square rod it finds the square notch about 1/4" inside. Does this mean the bushing broke off on the outside?
The square key way or what ever you want to call it is probably still in there. Take the bushing out and put the new one in. The last pic is the new one. Here are some pics of my mess:.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All back together and working great. I did have both pieces of the square adapter so nothing was left inside either end. I went to a local snowmobile parts/repair and got a new square key. I took the spindle assy in to make sure I got the right one. I showed the guy at the shop the spindle and he said the bushing was attached to the shaft. You can look inside and see the square hole.

On assembly everything fit back together. Speedo works again. I used the red loctite on the nuts for the gears. All is good in the world. Thanks for the help.

Total reassemble time was 2.5 hours. I took my time.

Bob

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The square key way or what ever you want to call it is probably still in there. Take the bushing out and put the new one in. The last pic is the new one. Here are some pics of my mess:.
No, I actually got it all out. I was just saying the square part of the inside of the bushing started about 1/4" in.

is that the pic of the bushing (the one with the part #), if so that looks like what I have. I did not change this out-it looked fine. I tried to get a putty knife under the lip but could not. I just figured then it was part of the shaft.

Bob

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
And we have some (hopefully) big snow coming in the next few hours. Cat happy

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
One thing I came across is when I removed the speedo adapter and put it on the bench i noticed there was just a hole where a zerk fitting should be. I tapped threads into it and screwed in another zerk. I could not find one laying in the belly pan, so I wonder if they never put one on. :confused:

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
One thing I came across is when I removed the speedo adapter and put it on the bench i noticed there was just a hole where a zerk fitting should be. I tapped threads into it and screwed in another zerk. I could not find one laying in the belly pan, so I wonder if they never put one on. :confused:
There weren't threads in it already?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts