Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went for my first real ride of the season on my 700 today. The trails I rode were good but recent flooding had move a lot of dead fall trees across the trails. Crossing the little ones was no problem, but on the real big ones I keep getting hung up... WTF I thought, bang your head this is not a Honda you know!

Then it hit me, in my hast to get going I forgot to take off my snow plow brackets. I felt kinda dumb after that. :bang:

Oh well the ride was awesome anyway, just a little more pushing than I like to do.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
At least you figured it out! :thumbsup:
Be careful on crossig downed trees, my buddy broke his rear axle in half last week trying to cross a downed tree, didnt notice that his fron tires were also jammed by a smaller tree...had to winch him out of the woods for 3 hours...thank god for beer..!! :chug:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Don't feel to bad. You are not alone (he says sheepishly)

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I know that feeling. DUH!!!
JD

·
Registered
672 Posts
Your suppose to take them off I dunno Ive had mine on since 03' when I bought the plow. :eek:

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All right, glad to know I'm not the only dumb :moon: in the group. :chug:

Yep zitterich, if you ever blaze your own trail through the woods, you will want them off.

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
Some plow mounts are different than others. My swisher reduces my GC from 13" down to 5", if that (literally). However, on my V2 I used the Cat plow mount and I never removed the mounts and had zero issues. Just depends on the mount.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sanny651 @ Apr 16 2007, 06:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Some plow mounts are different than others. My swisher reduces my GC from 13" down to 5", if that (literally). However, on my V2 I used the Cat plow mount and I never removed the mounts and had zero issues. Just depends on the mount.[/b]

Ya I measured my AC mounts they lowered the GC by 3", but were I ride 12" to 9" is a huge deal. The sharp right angle on the mount digs into the log, it requires lifting and pushing. :(

I guess it also depends were you ride. We ride mostly next to rivers that have yearly flooding cycles, so every year there is a new crop of dead fall to negotiate. Avoiding 10" to 15" log crossings is not an option for us. That is why my whole crew chose to :ridepride: !!

·
Registered
149 Posts
On my list to do this friday before heading off to Nevada.

Install new K&N
remove plow mounts
change the oil
and install hos's 3 sided stoppers.. going to get one hell of a workout this next week..

5 days of 130+ miles a day in the desert

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have the cat plow mounts, I am leaving them on this year. I found that taking them off and on striped the threads. I call it a poor set up -- with the nuts welded into the frame.
I broke the nuts clear and now put my mounts on using stainless bolts and nuts, but it is a hard job to jam your finger up in the little hole to hold the nut, so I am leaving them on.

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
I found that taking them off and on striped the threads.[/b]
This was a common problem when I got my 2004 V2. Looks like they didn't change anything. That indeed is a poor setup. My bolts stripped too.

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ns~catdude @ Apr 17 2007, 06:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I have the cat plow mounts, I am leaving them on this year. I found that taking them off and on striped the threads. I call it a poor set up -- with the nuts welded into the frame.
I broke the nuts clear and now put my mounts on using stainless bolts and nuts, but it is a hard job to jam your finger up in the little hole to hold the nut, so I am leaving them on.[/b]

On my 03 500 the brackets went between the floor board and the frame. I always wanted to make the front hole into a arched slot, that way one could just crack the bolts loose and slide it up out of the way. never got around to it though, but I'm sure it would work.

On my 07 the brackets go outside of the floor boards not allowing such a mod. :(

Not sure when Cat made that switch? I dunno

·
Premium Member
767 Posts
The reason some of you guys are stripping your threads is that the bolts are longer for the plow mounts, you need to use the original bolts as they are shorter and will not bottom out when tightening. Also you have to be careful when threading the bolts in as I had to use a prybar to ensure the foot mount holes lined up so as not to cross thead the holes. I took mine off yesterday but I kept my original bolts in the glove box as its easy to misplace them.

·
Premium Member
19,631 Posts
I used the stock bolts that came with it and it was an absolute bear. It was like the bolts weren't the right threads or something. Spoke with the dealer and he said they were all like that, so I wasn't doing it wrong apparently.

·
Registered
88 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Catmandooo @ Apr 17 2007, 10:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The reason some of you guys are stripping your threads is that the bolts are longer for the plow mounts, you need to use the original bolts as they are shorter and will not bottom out when tightening. Also you have to be careful when threading the bolts in as I had to use a prybar to ensure the foot mount holes lined up so as not to cross thead the holes. I took mine off yesterday but I kept my original bolts in the glove box as its easy to misplace them.[/b]
did all that, didn't matter.
I actually used the small bolts on one side, hit a rock and one of the welded nuts broke off. Like I said before poor set up.

They should have been designed to be able to put bolts straight through the frame and put nuts on the other side easily.
Wouldn't have took a rocket scientist to figure that out -- I did :tongue_nana:

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
mikeyslap

mikeyslap

mikeyslap

I Bought the RockyMountain "Tusk - City Slicker" and Love it !!! The Mount maybe hangs down 1 1/2 inches or so... so I still retain most of my ground clearance.... That Stinking Swisher Plow mount --- hmmm I'm thinking it maybe a Great BOAT ANCHOR!!!

·
Registered
672 Posts
The cycle country mount on mine doesnt seem to get caught up, Ive went over logs, and seen where the mount hit but it never stopped me. I live by the river and know all about flooding

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Here's a pic Sanny... Lower right corner of pic shows the mount that bolts to the under side of the frame...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts