Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well folks let me tell you first off I am a die hard AC guy but my patience is running out , I purchased a brand new AC 700 XTX prowler in april, I have had 6 right hand rear seals replaced under warranty in 300 miles , about 50miles each time , this machine has been trailered 360miles back and forth to the dealer. just got it back last saturday after replacing another seal and went 7 miles . What happened next is in my opinion totally unacceptable . I was driving on a gravel road at 35-40mph going around a corner when the front diff exploded into about 6 pieces and locked up the front end sending the prowler almost in a circle , fortunatly I was able to keep the machine shiny side up and keep it in moderate control.
I am wondering what I should do about this matter , the fact is if someone without my experience driving had been at the wheel there could be someone really hurt or killed . I find this totally unacceptable, I now have a $15k machine that I am scared to drive as it might break 100 miles from home and or kill me or my passenger . I talked to the dealer and they are very compasionate but basically tell me there is not much they can do other than fix it again . I want Arctic cat to take a bit more responsibility for there problems and not leave the dealer and customers in this position.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated
thanks Brent

·
Registered
119 Posts
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bbtking @ Jun 19 2008, 05:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Well folks let me tell you first off I am a die hard AC guy but my patience is running out , I purchased a brand new AC 700 XTX prowler in april, I have had 6 right hand rear seals replaced under warranty in 300 miles , about 50miles each time , this machine has been trailered 360miles back and forth to the dealer. just got it back last saturday after replacing another seal and went 7 miles . What happened next is in my opinion totally unacceptable . I was driving on a gravel road at 35-40mph going around a corner when the front diff exploded into about 6 pieces and locked up the front end sending the prowler almost in a circle , fortunatly I was able to keep the machine shiny side up and keep it in moderate control.
I am wondering what I should do about this matter , the fact is if someone without my experience driving had been at the wheel there could be someone really hurt or killed . I find this totally unacceptable, I now have a $15k machine that I am scared to drive as it might break 100 miles from home and or kill me or my passenger . I talked to the dealer and they are very compasionate but basically tell me there is not much they can do other than fix it again . I want Arctic cat to take a bit more responsibility for there problems and not leave the dealer and customers in this position.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated
thanks Brent[/b]
This is wierd to see happen. We have had nothing but good luck with all the XTX's sold, half of them I have never even seen since the sale. About the seals, ask the dealer to put the new updated seals in, he probably is using the old ones that he has in stock. I have no clue about the front diff exploding, maybe it ran out of oil or something. I would get a ne front diff on it and while it is in the shop ask the dealer what seal he put in it last and if it wasn't one of the updated ones then ask him to put one of those in it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All seals have been the updated part# also a trick with these seals is to shorten the spring in the seal about 1/8-1/4 inch to give it more tension , this will be the next step if the last seal leaks also a new axle was installed on that side to see if the axle was machined to small . AC would not admit that this could be the problem but they approved the axle replacement , and as for the front diff , Burt the AC tech guy said they apparently had a few diffs where the pin that holds the gear in place is made of steel that has been hardened to much therfore causing this breakage . The problem I have is there has been no recall and AC says they will not recall only fix when broken. Please don't get me wrong here , they are fixing it with all new parts the issue at hand is the danger of this happening and AC not recalling this . As I se it this is a huge safety hazard and a large liability. If they fix it and it does not break again I am happy , but do I feel that I am or whoever driving and riding is safe or are we risking our lives by even driving this thing? I am unsure if I can trust this machine !!!!!!
REFUND REFUND ????????? LEMON LAW?
Sadley I have been put in this position, I have owned a total of 5 AC atv's , 2 AC sleds and this prowler , I also currently drive a 2007 650H1 TRV LE and love it , it is getting to the point where I am also considering trading it on a new ATV as I do about 2000-3000 miles a year ,, but will it or should it be an AC . I am not sure I can depend on the new AC's to get me to where I am going , let alone get me home ( alive ) .!!!!!
Brent

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I also should note my dealer alone has had the seal issue with 2 other XTX's , one of which they have now replaced the front diff 3 times , thankfully these broke when the customer was plowing snow and not at any speed . Also they have had a customer with a Thundercat that both rear seals have been replaced about 10 times in less than 200 miles and I believe the axles and the rear diff have also been replaced on it .

As posted above I would like a new ATV and the 1000 TRV would be my choice but I am a bit gun shy

BK

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Sounds like mostly a isolated issue not the norm as ive seen on any forum before and due to the new and different diff setup used in the 700 I would check my state laws and see if they have a "lemon law" which in your case would get you a full refund or replacement if not get hold of the arctic cat rep and try and get arctic cat to replace the unit or at least both front and rear diffs.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
what kind and weight of fluid are you running?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was a dealer until last week and ac has been horrible to work with, Seffield wouldnt finance anyone and your complaints fell upon deaf ears to the rep. I have a xtx that just had the front diff self distruct also. I wondered why they never questioned a new 1100.00 diff
I have always been a AC guy my parents owned 2 dealerships in Co. back when Z was there before the first BK. They better get it togetherquick or they may be talking to there attny. I had a new thundercat motor self distruct and they never want to trust there dealers as far as warranty issues go. glad no one was hurt when your diff came appart!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
how many miles on these when the diffs exploded? You got me kind of worried I go highway speeds on mine all the time, today going home I held down the override button and got to 60 mph on flat ground no problem.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Prowler has a total of 370 miles , at approx 100 miles bothe front and both rear seals were replaced, at 150 miles the right rear seal was replaced , at 200 miles the same rear seal was replaced , at 235 miles again the right rear seal , at 290 miles again , at 362 miles the right rear seal and the axle was replaced and at 366 miles the diff blew appart , drove home very carefully , I have trailered this piece of junk the same amount of mileage I have been able to drive it , The dealer even admits that AC is useless and will only replace parts as broken , not actually recall or replace the unit , I have been in contact with my Business lawyer and we are in the midst of building a case . I have agreed to take possesion of the unit and drive it one more time , if something lets me down I will be pursuing a total refund and damages !!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I feel your pain. I haven't had a diff Explode yet, I have had mine in the shop more than on the trail. Mine is an 06 prowler xt and the month the warranty ran out it started blowing seals in the rear diff and have not been able to get it to stop leaking. I also have starting issues after motor has warmed up VERY hard to get to restart. And to put icing on the cake this past weekend went on a night ride and during travel to meet up point had smoke blow out of vent tube from belt housing. Thought belt broke or was sliping,Towed back home to disassemble, found nut had backed off of shaft causing around 400.00 in damage (belt,hub,tons of seals,bearing,and shims, even eat the retainer housing up. I AM READY TO SALE THIS PILE OF ARCTIC JUNK TO SOME ONE ELSE. Current milage 1302. anyone have any ideas on the seals, I have read on the net until im blue in the face. only thing i know left to due is put a mile long vent tube on rear diff. for more expansion

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well Folks , I thought I had better update everyone on the Prowler , Fianally Arctic Cat has admitted there was a defective batch of front and rear differentials installed in some prowler 700 xtx models as well as T-cats and 700H1's . after many calls and a very long wait , my dealer has replaced both front and rear diffs , axles and all seals , I have so far logged another 220 miles and had no problems . Remember I was going about 40 miles and blowing seals , lets hope this is the end of the exploding diffs and leaking seals .
Also AC has extended my original 6 month warranty by adding 1 1/2 months , basiaclly covering my down time , I think this is a step in the right direction for AC to actually admit the problem and do something extra for the customer . Lets give them a little credit for this and hope it is the start of a new era for AC ! lol!!

brent

·
Registered
13 Posts
I saw someone say they could hold the override button while in HIGH and override the limiter? I thought about eliminating the override for other reasons, but did not know it worked at the rev limiter also...thought it was just for reverse and such...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm new to the Arctic Cat brand and have had the same front diff problems

We bought 2 new 08 700 xtx back in Feb and both have had the front diffs go, the first one actually
locked up then broke the outer jont then jammed into the rim destroying it as well, so now burried in mud with a flat tire and the bike locked up we had to get it out of the bush, not fun at all
the dealer did replace it but denied any problem existed, he said it was abused ... hmmmmm

Really glad we where in mud and not going 50 mph down the road when it all locked up

Question

With the bikes that had the front diff problems ... is the rear diff an issue on the same bike ... should they have changed it as well ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
My differential has exploded twice. Once many miles from home with no cell service. It totally locked the front end so it would not even roll. The Prowler had a couple hundred miles on it. Now, at 11 months old, it just happened again. Both times were normal driving conditions. I mostly drive on smooth dirt roads. Not like I ever challenge or abuse the machine. The first time my dealer took care of it right away. Now he says that it is no longer covered under warranty and he can do nothing other than have me pay to replace the diff. I feel the replacement diff is just as defective as the original. Both differentials exploded, even knocking a hole in the same exact spot on the cover. Not sure what to do. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I GUESS WE CAN START A LIST. I ALSO BOUGHT MINE IN FEBRUARY AND BEEN THRU 4 AXLES AND BLEW THE FRONT END 7 WEEKS AGO AND STILL IN THE SHOP. THEY SAY THAT THEY ARE GETTING IT COVERED, BUT I THINK KNOWS THERE IS A PROBLEM AND NOT SAYING NOTHING ABOUT IT. TWO MONTHS OF WAITING IS GETTING A LITTLE RIDICULOUS. LOSEING PATIENCE.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
How many miles do you guys have on these machines, and what kind of terrain do you ride in? just curious.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts