Arctic Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
issue # 1
ive got right around 400 miles on my prowler, ever since it was new it has always had an issue where you turn the key and it feels like it kills all electronics like the starter is bound. and doesnt turn over, if you turn it again sometimes it will fire right up sometimes it will do it again.i read somewhere that the motor trying to crank over when the piston is in the tdc or wrong position? and adjusting the valves might help this?

so i brought it in and my dealer had never dealt with this issue, when i got i back it did the same thing, so my local AC dealer is no use for me what can i do to get this thing starting up with no problems everytime. they supposidly adjusted the valves to spec, but with there lack of expierence with the issue worries me if they really knew what they were doing or just did what i requested which was adjust the valves.

issure #2 might be just how it is....

im from alaska and i do a lot of hill climbing mud bogging and creek crossings to go fishing and hunting, i snorkled the belts and the intake. i was wondering if it was normal for the belt to slip in high range going up any trail hills ect? what can i do to the clutching on this bad chicken to make it to where i dont have to switch into low gear for every hill climb and high gear to haul ass down the trail?

also low gear is nice for when i have a meat trailer full of meat so i dont want to sacrafise anything there.

fix these two issues and this rig will be a solid runner, right now i just run it most the time in low gear just gets annoying when i get to a strait strech of any sort i gotta stop and shift into another gear.

i have had the clutches wet one time, when the rig had 10 miles on it :( since then its been snorkeled.

thanks for all the imput and man does this rig perform other then that!

im hoping the clutching work im going to do will help the jerkyness of how it starts out but im not too worried about that more the slipping thats bothering me. nothing like being 50 miles back in the boonies of alaska and worried about that belt!!!!

-Aksnopro

·
Registered
263 Posts
I also own an 08 XTX. The starting thing seems to be that way on all of them. I don't think there is much else you can do after adjusting the valves. I had mine done and problem is still there. Mine is hit and miss, it dosen't do this all the time. As far as the clutching I don't know what to tell you. There are other members more versed than I on that. The jerky take off is another XTX trademark. There is a fair amount of slop in the drive line. Cat makes a replacement throttle cable that does help out. It dosen't 100% get rid of it but does help. I would look up AirDam on this site. He could shed some light on the clutch issue. I posted awile back the part number for this cable, I will try to find it.

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
Bouma
You're fast.

I was just looking up a link for Airdam. Sounds like this would help you the most.

Your clutches may be dirty and gummed up do to being wet though, you shouldn't have to shift to low unless you are climbing some extreme hills.

·
Premium Member
4,541 Posts
The belt slipping is a sure sign of a problem. I know it's a pain on the prowlers but you need to pull the cover and see what's going on in there. Dirt, belt dust may be keeping the clutches from opening and closing properly.

I would hook up a car battery, without the vehicle running, and see if that improves the starting. I would also disconnect the prowler battery and just start from the car battery. If either improves starting, get a better battery.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah, i took the battery out from under the seat got a battery box and relocated the battery in the middle of the flatbed in the back. its a nice optima battery. i will tear into the clutches and clean them up. im pretty familiar with snowmachine clutches but from the pictures ive seen online these are a little different. havnt tore into them yet. thanks for the tips and man it cant be good on your starter to be bound like that every 3-4 starts!!! nobody has found a solid fix for this yet eh?
-aksnopro

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
It's in the atv section somewhere, I believe you set the valves on the loose side to cure it.

I haven't done it myself yet either though, I just hold the key and it cranks over withing a couple of seconds. Seems easier than turning the key off and on again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts