Arctic Chat : Arctic Cat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I broke my left rear axle a month or so ago. Replaced it the following week and took for test drive around the house and had no issues. Today I took it out and got about a mile down the trail and rear end (sounded like ti came from that direction) made an awful noise and seemed to have locked up. I came to an immediate stop to and heard some noise from the transmission. I did not attempt to drive it back to camp in fear of damaging something so i put it on the trailer. When I start it and rev up the engine in neutral, the engine sounds bogged down and will not go anywhere when you put it into gear. Any ideas?

2010 700 xtx arctic cat prowler

·
Premium Member
4,547 Posts
If the engine won't rev in N then it's not in the rear end. Wet Clutch, CVT, transmission or bevel gears, hope it's the belt, easy fix.

check the pinned section for a video on the CVT system.

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
I had a 2011 700h1 Prowler in the shop a few months ago with exacly the same issue.
When we pulled it down we discovered that the one-way bearing had failed, and was preventing the primary clutch from engaging and bogging the engine down.

Extended warranty covered most of it, but the main wet clutch output shaft/one-way bearing/housing seal/bearing/gaskets was all replaced. Plus the belt, as it was smoked too.

It's not too "labor intensive" but it does take a good morning and a 4-point lift helps...

good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. I am going to dig into the transmission I guess on my next day off. I had a hard time finding anyone who has had the same issue. Once it is apart, is it pretty obvious to tell if the one way bearing has failed?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts